News: Tribes: Vengeance Skinning Contest

The problem with the backwords "Pheonix" is the skin is looped and wrapped around the head model but because it's mirrored, one side has a backwards pheonix. They'd have to have a selection dedicated to that one side in order to have it display properly on both sides of the head.

If I flipped it around, it'd look proper.

And now for the jet packs:

Jet-Angle-146-62104.jpg

Jet-Front-146-62104.jpg

Jet-Side-146-62104.jpg

Jet-Top-146-62104.jpg

2 screens from Day 3 of my work-

pheonix3.jpg

pheonix5.jpg

I did the flames and the cotp logo in Illustrator... was not easy at all but it looks great. Not too sure about the decal on the right shoulder pad, may toss it out... Any comments on that decal?

Remember that golden cammo Light Armor skin? he has some sorta reticle... I tried to give it a painted on look... But I'm unsure wether or not it is too specific. It may be too prominent and might be regarded as some sort of official cotp logo rather than a generic design... So thats what I'm unsure of.

Here's what I did today in my free time. Everyone is probably gonna think it's stupid but, oh well. The idea is a trainee armor for all the noobs. No real paint just labeling so everyone knows it's a noob in the suit. I guess the idea is they have to earn thier colors. It says trainee across the shoulder if someone can not figure that out.

Why did I choose green? Well in the military new people are referred to as green. So I thought, "why the hell not".

trainee_frontk.jpg

trainee_back.jpg

*edit* did everyone know that Word doesn't spell check "gonna" correctly?

Last edited:
Phantomstranger said:
Here's what I did today in my free time. Everyone is probably gonna think it's stupid but, oh well. The idea is a trainee armor for all the noobs. No real paint just labeling so everyone knows it's a noob in the suit. I guess the idea is they have to earn thier colors. It says trainee across the shoulder if someone can not figure that out.

Why did I choose green? Well in the military new people are referred to as green. So I thought, "why the hell not".

trainee_frontk.jpg

trainee_back.jpg

*edit* did everyone know that Word doesn't spell check "gonna" correctly?

I think that could really work well if they are looking for a trainee armor, could go well with the story and all. So nice work.

i ABSOLUTELY LOVE Trinity's skin! it's awesome!

and i like Nutcracker's idea too! and it's design!
i would certainly fit in that suit as i suck at Tribes lol.

Jim: Not too bad...im not sure about those flames and front skull logo though. They dont match with the rest of the skin. The emboss looking effect looks cheap and clashes with the rest of your work. I think making it look more like paint on the metal rather than having a lot of depth to the flames would look a little nicer. eh, something for you to play with I suppose. Overall its looking good though.

Zero: looking good. im digging the face and front of the neck. I hope you have time to finish it for the contest. If not I hope you try to finish it after just for the hell of it. Only crit I have is on the inner shoulder things (black part between shoulders and head). They are two dark....but im guessing you know this and just arent finished with them, so im sure this comment probably means nothing. :)

Keep up the work guys. Hopefully i'll get a little more work done on this tomorrow...been busy searching for a car all day. :\

ok.. first im gonna clear up some confusion u guys might have with my name..
first off. im trinity (honest!) i'm using Cyclo as Trinity has already been taken by someone:)() not much i can do to prove it to you all.. you'll just have to take my word for it...

seeing as this is my first post here, here's a little bit about me.
ive been skinning since tribes1 and havent looked back.. im currently skinning for the Starsiege:2845 mod for tribes vengance. im also a member of staff at the skinnersguild and have been for a some years now..

ive been looking forward to to T:V for what seems like ages.. and to be honest, this skinning contest is the best thing vivendi could have done.. (next to the open beta's) and im really impressed with the amount of ppl who are getting into this.. keep it up all :)

ok.. now heres my entry for this comp.. its not even nearly finished yet (had to restart after rereading the rules lol ) the heads gonna get redone so ignore that for now.. also no normal map for this yet.. but u get the idea..

attachment.php

would love to hear your comments and crits..
i love the skins ive seen so far in this thread.. keep em coming.. :)

Zero-optix.. get back to work :)

Dunce_boy.. i think we've met a couple of times.. i think it was on irc... we both did some work for zod! on mechina i think (could be wrong:)) anyways nice to bump into u here :)

Last edited:
Looking real good cyclo or should we call you trinity? Not sure about the front of the upper leg, looks good but it doesn't seem to "match" with the rest of the skin, perhaps if you either extended that style it would look more at home. Everything else looks top qual.

Back