If you really want to jump start competition for T:V when its released...

ZProtoss

10,000++
Veteran XV
Make a tournament with a very large cash prize (50,000-100,000). Get it hyped up to gaming websites, and grab some sponsors for it. Get an organization that has experience running something of that caliber to host it with said sponsors/sierra/etc. A well run Tournament of that magnitude, could *easily* attract alot of competition, and gather even more fame for the game. As well as helping to establish T:V when it comes out as a true competitive game that'll have legitimacy with major gaming organizations (ie: WCG, CPL, etc).

Basically, with something setup like this, you'd attract competition from the most talented and top tier, to the low end, which would make them try the game and practice at it for an extended period of time. Then once they become good/familiar with the game, and see its quality gameplay, even when the major tournament is over, they'd stay for the competition within the game that would have been fostered by such a tournament.

What'll make T:V succeed is grabbing a huge player base at the very beginning. Games rarely have massive increases in the number of people playing after the first three months. Unless some massive price cut/marketing push appears afterwards. The main goal of something like this would be to grab as many potential people as possible when the game is fresh and new, so that most of those people would hang around for years to come and become part of the fanbase as a whole.

ZProtoss stop acting like you are saving the fate of T:V from total destruction with every one of your posts. Make suggestions, not proclimations.

That said, I think this is a good idea. We don't need another T2WC -- too little, too late. Anything with money will get people hyped to play the game and make good comp teams form that may stick around after the contest is over.

Supposedly lots of people are planning on playing it even though they hate the game. Just for the $$$ alone. Combine that element + an actual good game and it'd probably have favorable results.

GIMPbeowulf said:
That happend for Halo... how far did it get them?
(note, that's not a sarcastic question, I'm honestly currious)

That's all my posts are for the most part, just suggestions + some stuff that'd be cool to add in to the game from my perspective. If it comes across otherwise my bad.

|MrSniper|Nyx said:
ZProtoss stop acting like you are saving the fate of T:V from total destruction with every one of your posts. Make suggestions, not proclimations.

That said, I think this is a good idea. We don't need another T2WC -- too little, too late. Anything with money will get people hyped to play the game and make good comp teams form that may stick around after the contest is over.

Other suggestions:

- Mapping/Skinning/Movie competition
Provide prizes for a Mapping or skinning or movie making competition.

- Free Bonus packs
I'm a sucker for bonus packs. If a free bonus pack is given out a few months after release - I usually assume that the game is good, and buy the game (I got tricked into buying ut2k3 this way).

Why even bother having a competition? TseTse would own all that shit, they might as well send him the check now.

ut2k3 had a $10,000 CPL tournament lined up before it was released. It has a very high % of competitive players even though it's not that great of a game.

Back