[Suggestion] Make the Burner Usable with Zero Energy.

Apotheosis

Veteran XV
Hello. First of all let me say that I do know T:V has already gone gold, and these suggestions might only be applicable to a possible future patch.

One thing that really annoys me about the Burner is that it's not possible to fire the weapon if you don't have a minimum required amount of energy remaining. I suppose I'd like Burner usage to be something that limits your jet pack usage, rather than the vice versa. I've just had the Burner fail to fire too often when I expected it to, and so I'm suggesting that minimum energy requirement for Burner firing be removed. Thank you for your attention.

How about we just remove the piece of shazbot newbified weapon altogether, instead?

Sounds like a plan to me! :D

Are you suggesting that the Burner is overpowered as is it? In my experience, I feel that the Burner is an underused, and thus possibly an underpowered weapon. The only time where it may be considered "powerful" in my eyes, based on the current maps, is when it's used to spam the flag stand which I honestly haven't seen much of. This change shouldn't change the Burner's power or effectiveness by much in such a situation anyways, as most spam is done with both feet on the ground.

Energy management is indeed a quality of Tribes, but I don't believe the series has ever had a weapon that required energy, in order to be fired.

Edit: Correction -- at least in T1, none of the energy based weapons became unfirable under any condition I know about. After testing, I found out that all the energy weapons are firable even when the user has two ELF Turrets on him/her, and Right Click (Jet) held down.

Last edited:
The Burner is the king of burning out Turtles, in my experiance. I've also got a medium outfit with e-back, burner, blaster (gasp!), and buckler for doing moblile base D. It's a great set up for annoying the hell outta attackers!

burner rocks, best way to have fun on newb pubs.
i always carry an epack with it to decrease the amount of time i cant fire it, cause it annoys me too. even if when you fired it w/o energy it only did half the damage, or there was the inital hit, but not follow on burning, like if you miss then there is no wall of flames.

So basically the burner doesn't take anything to fire, it just means you can't fly and shoot

Im envisioning entire spawn areas engulfed in constant flame

Apotheosis said:
Energy management is indeed a quality of Tribes, but I don't believe the series has ever had a weapon that required energy, in order to be fired.

Tribes 2
-Blaster
-Sniper Rifle
-Shocklance
-Elf

Aragorn7, you could still fire those, no matter what. They never "failed" to fire, or did they? The blaster, elf, and sniper worked no matter what in T1. I didnt play T2 much, so Im not sure on the shocklance.

I would like to see this too, mainly to kill grapplers in Cavern during standoffs.

Emilee said:
Aragorn7, you could still fire those, no matter what. They never "failed" to fire, or did they? The blaster, elf, and sniper worked no matter what in T1. I didnt play T2 much, so Im not sure on the shocklance.

I would like to see this too, mainly to kill grapplers in Cavern during standoffs.

No, they wouldn't fire if you had no energy. With an E-Pack, that usually didn't happen...but still. You could only constantly fire the blaster for a certain period of time while standing still. I think the burner needs a tweak somehow, but for now it is probably fine.

I do agree with original poster on "not having energy to shoot when I want" type of thing. It happens a lot, but I get over it fast by switching to spinfuser.

Actually, the blaster and elf wouldn't fire in T1 if you were out of energy, and you would never want to fire the laser rifle with no energy anyways. The ELF in particular should be noticable, as it would "stutter fire" when you were out of energy.

I wouldn't be against removing a minimum energy requirement for the burner though. The only worry is that it would become more of a spam weapon than it already is. If being unsure of whether the burner will fire or not, a solution could be having a visual indicator on the weapon itself indicating whether you have enough energy or not (ie. the plasma chamber could be empty when you have too little energy to fire, full when you have sufficient energy).

The burner is quite spamtastic, removing the energy requirement would be awful. I personally use the weapon to get rid of fighters and grapple-monkeys, I find it handy

Aragorn7 said:
No, they wouldn't fire if you had no energy. With an E-Pack, that usually didn't happen...but still. You could only constantly fire the blaster for a certain period of time while standing still. I think the burner needs a tweak somehow, but for now it is probably fine.

I do agree with original poster on "not having energy to shoot when I want" type of thing. It happens a lot, but I get over it fast by switching to spinfuser.

I may have been wrong by saying that the those weapons are able to fire with zero energy, but I am certain that none of the energy weapons become unfirable under any condition.

Try just jetting straight up, expending all your energy, and firing the Blaster, ELF Gun, or Laser Rifle -- you will find that all three are firable.

Actually I just tested this out, and you can too;
Load up Tribes1 if you still have it installed.
Load up the map Iceridge.
Get in this Loadout: Light Armor, Blaster, ELF Gun, No Energy Pack.
Run over to the enemy's flag stand, so that both of the enemy ELF Turrets are shooting at you, and at the same time, hold down Right Click (use jets).
Try to fire your Blaster or ELF Gun.

This is the closest condition to zero energy that I could reproduce by myself, and I found that you could fire both the Blaster and ELF Gun. I barely noticed a decrease in the Blaster's rate of fire and there may have been no decrease at all. The ELF Gun does indeed stutter when fired -- but it is still firable.

Edit; Sorry, I'm not sure if the weapons in T2 work the same way. Someone mind testing it out?

Last edited:
Apotheosis said:
I may have been wrong by saying that the those weapons are able to fire with zero energy, but I am certain that none of the energy weapons become unfirable under any condition.

Try just jetting straight up, expending all your energy, and firing the Blaster, ELF Gun, or Laser Rifle -- you will find that all three are firable.

Actually I just tested this out, and you can too;
Load up Tribes1 if you still have it installed.
Load up the map Iceridge.
Get in this Loadout: Light Armor, Blaster, ELF Gun, No Energy Pack.
Run over to the enemy's flag stand, so that both of the enemy ELF Turrets are shooting at you, and at the same time, hold down Right Click (use jets).
Try to fire your Blaster or ELF Gun.

This is the closest condition to zero energy that I could reproduce by myself, and I found that you could fire both the Blaster and ELF Gun. I barely noticed a decrease in the Blaster's rate of fire and there may have been no decrease at all. The ELF Gun does indeed stutter when fired -- but it is still firable.

Edit; Sorry, I'm not sure if the weapons in T2 work the same way. Someone mind testing it out?

T1, yes. T2, no.

What I said above was describing how T2 works. I would know, I played it before the open beta came out. ;)

Never went back though. :)

Burner is very nice for flag defense. Seeing as HoFs can be pushed back with ease by any incoming light, the burner is a great way to block off any incoming cappers. It blocks their view, it catches them on fire, and it does tremendous damage if you score a direct hit, which isn't too difficult when the capper is coming straight ahead.

Aragorn7 said:

You could fire the laser non-stop forever. Same with the elf, and the blaster. There might be a .001 sec delay, but you could.

Validuz said:
How about we just remove the piece of shazbot newbified weapon altogether, instead?

Sounds like a plan to me! :D

I agree Val, or make it ammo based would be ok too. This way it's no long just a noob spam weapon.

Back