An Overpowered Buckler?

i think it'd be cool if someone sniped and hit the buckler and the lazer bounces off and you see it go in a different direction.

Probably wouldn't happen though.

As for whether or not you can change weapons while grappled, thrax suggested you did with that quote about lifting a heavy by shooting his feet off the ground, but I don't see how it'd work becaue the cable is connected to the gun.

why dont you think the sniper shot would be reflected back?

didn't they say thats how the buckler worked?

i'd hope that the bounce is done correctly. (not just back at the shooter, but at the logical angle)

exogen said:
The Buckler's design does make it seem quite powerful. The reason is that you effectively are already at an advantage just by equipping the Buckler without even firing a shot. There are a number of current features that can be tweaked:

- The Buckler's shielding ability is obviously limited to a certain area of your body.

Which shouldn't be the biggest of our problems once beta starts. I'm sure they started by giving it a fairly limited field of effect.

- When you 'throw' the Buckler, you are left unprotected. However, I don't really see this as a disadvantage since no other weapons 'shield' you even when you're not firing them.

Depends on how far the Buckler is thrown by default from a player's body, and how fast the Buckler travels away from its thrower. Whether or not its reflective field rotates is also a factor. If it only goes out a little ways from the player and comes back quickly, yeah, I could imagine it could be a little cheap. If it automatically goes far afield very quickly, however, I think it leaves quite a sufficient amount of vulnerability to let the enemy attack its wielder.

- While the Buckler is in the air, you can switch to another weapon and fire. This is a pretty powerful feature.

Again, depends on how far away the Buckler goes from the player it normally protects.

Imagine the following quadruple combo: You grapple a player, latching onto them and doing some damage. While you are grappled, you fire your Buckler.

Correct me if I'm being stupid, but where did the devs say you could switch to and fire another weapon while grappling? I've eyeballed the dev tracker pretty regularly and never saw hide nor hair of such a notion.

While the Buckler is en route, you switch to another weapon and fire. While all this is happening, you are tossing Hand Grenades.

Could be messy, yes, but as of yet I have seen little hypothetical indication that the full extent of your scenario is currently possible in T:V. Also, it depends on how easily the line can be broken or how easily the grappler's prime firing position can be disrupted (say, with the grappled player coming to a sudden halt or boosting abruptly to fling the line over a hill and break it).

Afex2win said:
why dont you think the sniper shot would be reflected back?

didn't they say thats how the buckler worked?

i'd hope that the bounce is done correctly. (not just back at the shooter, but at the logical angle)

Yeah, I'd say the devs' natural inclination is TOWARDS reflecting all kinds of projectiles (including unarmed mortar/grenade shells).

I also doubt they'd reflect the projectile STRAIGHT back at the person who fired them, because against sniper rifles that'd be way too much of a buzzkill. Who wants to end up sniping themselves?

Ben Reed said:
Correct me if I'm being stupid, but where did the devs say you could switch to and fire another weapon while grappling? I've eyeballed the dev tracker pretty regularly and never saw hide nor hair of such a notion.

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6210977#6210977

KineticPoet said:
You can currently switch to another weapon while grappled. This requires no extra keys (you just have to switch back to the grappler if you want to manually disconnect it). It's potentially too powerful but it'll be easy to change this behaviour if it becomes a problem.

We're also currently reviewing the way the grappler works due to some usability issues,
KP

Last edited:
Ben Reed said:

Thrax said:
Heavy can't use the buckler haggis. and you'd get rid of them by grappling them then jumping in a vehicle and driving off :)

I wonder if that would work... back in a second...

:( nope. Can't hook and run. But a clever alternate disk jump does wonders for hauling a heavy off of whatever they're standing on. Hook, fly over, disk their feet, and keep going and a light can pull a heavy right up into the air. WIthout the disk you can only pull them up a few feet before you come slamming back down, but you can drag them around a bit before they figure out what the hell is going on.

it'll be interesting to see how they visually pull that off.

if the grapple is connected to the gun what happens when you switch weapons?

This is a little more generic than this thread, but it has to deal with game design in general, and communities who try and balance their games.

There has been a tendency to underpower game mechanics. This is because a group of people will dislike mechanic A, and so even though mechanic A is balanced, in thir minds any effective use of the item will be a sign of its "overpowered design." Therefore, these people often want to rebalance mechanic A so that it's effect on gameplay becomes negligible.

After enough whining, mechanic A is finally nerfed. For example, for a while in classic WC3, this was an incredible problem. Even though the races were statistically balanced at some points, people simply didn't like some of the tools being used. Hence, they complained until the items were finally nerfed, at which point, NOBODY USED THEM.

To tie this into the buckler, or any other T:V object, everything has to be SLIGHTLY overpowered. If it isn't, then it won't be useful enough to be taken. In other words, nerfing items is often the equivalent of removing the item altogether. If the buckler isn't marginally advantageous, then nobody will use it.

Therefore, you don't want to make something a DISADVANTAGE to hold. You want to make holding anything advantageous, in order to assure that those things are even used. In theory, this buckler seems to be balanced. I don't think it's overpowered until it overwhelms all other game mechanics to the exclusion of even using them.

Last edited:
How about the Shield pack with the Buckler as a combo? You have partial body protection with the buckler (plus the ability to use it as a weapon), and then you have what?? 25% reduced damaged when the shield pack is not active and I believe 75% damage reduction when it is active? Add all that up and that dude is gonna be one hard SOB to kill.

It’s good that the Heavy can’t carry the buckler, then we would have a REAL balancing problem.

Why is avoiding damage a problem?

You can't fire back while protecting yourself - this fact makes you rather useless in most situations.

If you need to defend yourself, you'll need to restrict your offensive power. However, if you want to attack, the buckler might actually increase the potential damage caused, since the buckler can hit twice while you are free to use other weapons.

The potential probem lies more on the offensive aspect of the buckler, I think. But even then, using the thing efficiently might be quite difficult.

The reflecting of projectiles seems to be an ability that is used more in special situations that in regular combat. This is because of the unpredictable nature of mid air hits with most projectiles. It's probably a waste to guard yourself against such rare occurences, and I don't think it's possible to deflect every chaingun bullet that comes your way. The spread probably exceeds the area that the buckler guards.

The buckler might prove useful against disc spam, or even mortar spam, if it can deflect armed projectiles. If the capper manages to ski his route while facing his chasers, he deserves to deflect some of the chaingun fire coming at him.

this is the only thing i think of when i think of buckler

shield-buckler.gif

Could the buckler possibly require ammunition? Maybe it can only deflect so much damage, or so many hits before it becomes disabled? Personally i hope this isn't the case, but if not, then what's this?

http://www.gamers-depot.com/interviews/tribes2_v/shot2.htm
(The weapon in slot #2)

It appears to require ammunition, whatever it is...

Also, any guesses as to what the little thunderbolt beside the weapon icons means? (Notice the grappler doesn't have it)

Last edited:
Aah. Logical, but a bit strange if you think about it.
If it returns to you, you've still got it, so what's stopping your from throwing it again? *shrug*

Also, did anyone notice the INF ammo on the burner?
Thoughts on this?

It means the weapon requires energy and will drain part of your armor's supply. That's an assumption I think I can make quite firmly.

Perhaps it does require ammunition, but that's only for when you fire the weapon. It will provide you with some protection as you hold the gun in your hand (correct?), which ought not to use the ammo but will deal some damage from splash weapons such as the disc.

I don't know much of the logistics for this weapon yet. Heck, before today I didn't even know it existed. :shrug:

EDIT: for the INF symbol on the burner, a conversion from fusion power to flames isn't that much of a leap in thinking, IMO. Just make the thing drain enough power to keep you on the ground and it's balanced enough. ;)

Last edited:
knuckle said:
Aah. Logical, but a bit strange if you think about it.
If it returns to you, you've still got it, so what's stopping your from throwing it again? *shrug*

Also, did anyone notice the INF ammo on the burner?
Thoughts on this?

A while back, they told us the burner uses armor energy as an ammo source.

As for the buckler, it is controllable, and therefore has it's own power source that is obviously drained as you throw it.

If you threw it after it had no power, it would just fall to the ground.

I see... are you saying that the Buckler drains weapon power as you hold the fire button in order to make it fly farther, or that it is the number of times you can fire it out and still retrieve it?

That's the number of times you can throw it and retrieve it. Toss it once, lose one ammo. Toss it a second time, lose another ammo.

Reflection and knockback are free abilities conferred by simply holding it.

Back