An Overpowered Buckler?

Apotheosis

Veteran XV
I don't know if this opinion is completely unfounded, but it seems to me that the Buckler might be a very overpowered weapon in its current state. I haven't heard of any restrictions on its use besides the Medium armor class restriction, but being able to reflect just about any projectile even while the player is in midair sounds much too useful/unbalanced to me. It seems even worse than the shield that was added into Counter-Strike a while ago, as this Buckler returns the fire as well.

It seems like the only time a player using the Buckler is completely vulnerable is when he's standing on the ground, and a projectile explodes right next to him.

I guess I still haven't seen a screenshot of how large of an area the Buckler defends, but if a player is able to move the Buckler's shielded area around his body with the crosshair, won't he potentially be able to block just about all incoming fire if he is midair, given that he is quick/skilled enough (except the sniper rounds, of course)?

Also, considering a duel situation, what's to prevent a player from blocking an incoming disc, immediately switching over to the Disc Launcher, firing, and then switching back to the Buckler as fast as possible? Unless the opponent is equiped with a Buckler as well, won't the opponent be at a severe disadvantage?

Perhaps there should be some disadvantage to blocking with the Buckler, such a reduction of either the player's Jet Energy or Suit Energy? Or is there something else that I haven't thought about, heard about, or know about that balances this issue?

The Buckler is both offensive and defensive. When held, it provides the user with protection by deflecting projectiles within a limited arc..

I'm going to assume it's really limited until I see it in action. But yeah, it could be very overpowered if it covers your entire front.

one question is does the buckler need to be "fired" to reflect shots or does it do it automatically as long as its aimed correctly?

that could also change the balance dynamic if there is some sort of recharge for each shot type of thing

It doesn't sound like a wall to stand behind or anything... sounds more like something that will just block some of the shots. If it blocks something explosive like a disc perhaps it should just be a partial reduction in damage? That would make sense, anyway.

Afex2win said:
one question is does the buckler need to be "fired" to reflect shots or does it do it automatically as long as its aimed correctly?

I would assume the latter, but probably with a limited field (i.e. front upper body only, front of legs left dangling and vulnerable)

poisonspider said:
The buckler blocks sniper rounds as well

maybe if you're neo and can slow down time to see them coming :D

its not a matter of it will block it or not, but if players will be effectively able to do so

Rigel said:
When wild speculation meets boredom...

Get a life guys, play the game then make assumptions.

you're absolutely right.

a forum dedicated to talking about an unreleased game should definitely be void of all speculation. :rolleyes:

quit trolling.

if you can switch in between weapons like that i give it 2 weeks before someone (publicly released or not) has a script that on button press you switch to disc from buckler, and once you hit fire it immediately switches back to buckler after the shot.

GIMPbeowulf said:
It doesn't sound like a wall to stand behind or anything... sounds more like something that will just block some of the shots. If it blocks something explosive like a disc perhaps it should just be a partial reduction in damage? That would make sense, anyway.

I think the Buckler won't prove nearly as useful as it sounds at present if it doesn't reflect disc shots. After all, considering everybody and their mom will probably be carrying the CG and the disc launcher -- they ARE spawn weaponry, after all, skill with them will remain a MUST -- it would make sense for the Buckler to be able to contend with the two biggest and most common threats to a Tribesman's health in the game.

I'm sure they'll give it a limited enough field of fire that skill will be a factor in deflecting disc shots, though.

The Buckler's design does make it seem quite powerful. The reason is that you effectively are already at an advantage just by equipping the Buckler without even firing a shot. There are a number of current features that can be tweaked:

- The Buckler's shielding ability is obviously limited to a certain area of your body.

- When you 'throw' the Buckler, you are left unprotected. However, I don't really see this as a disadvantage since no other weapons 'shield' you even when you're not firing them.

- While the Buckler is in the air, you can switch to another weapon and fire. This is a pretty powerful feature. Imagine the following quadruple combo: You grapple a player, latching onto them and doing some damage. While you are grappled, you fire your Buckler. While the Buckler is en route, you switch to another weapon and fire. While all this is happening, you are tossing Hand Grenades.

Rigel said:
When wild speculation meets boredom...

Get a life guys, play the game then make assumptions.

Who died and made you Big Brother, kid?

Educated speculation and theory is as much a part of the scientific method as observation and experimentation -- and a little joking musing on what could possibly happen never killed nobody, either.

What are you retarded? They're saying the Buckler is overpowered when they haven't:

A) Seen it in action
B) Seen a clear screenshot of it
C) Know the physics of the game at all.
D) Heard exactly how the buckler works, for all we know its a one shot deal or has some massive disadvantage.

Asking questions about the game is completely normal, but seriously nobody knows nothing and they're still making wild assumptions.

The buckler reflects direct projectiles, yes, but it also leaves a large part of the huge medium body unprotected, and it doesn't protect from splash.

Since the vast majority of damage is done by splash, it shouldn't be too terrible.

Edit: And most snipes and chaingun shots on retreating players are in the back or on the legs.

If a player is skillful enough to position himself to reflect discs that were about to impact and splash him, well, good for him! That was the entire point of the buckler. He took the risk and got rewarded. If he had failed to reflect the projectile, then he would have been beaten.

I don't think the buckler is overpowered.

Last edited:
exogen said:
- While the Buckler is in the air, you can switch to another weapon and fire. This is a pretty powerful feature. Imagine the following quadruple combo: You grapple a player, latching onto them and doing some damage. While you are grappled, you fire your Buckler. While the Buckler is en route, you switch to another weapon and fire. While all this is happening, you are tossing Hand Grenades.

i'm not sure if this has been said, but can you switch weapons while grappled?

you also have to assume you can actually hit said player with all your shots. :D

Rigel said:
What are you retarded? They're saying the Buckler is overpowered when they haven't:

A) Seen it in action
B) Seen a clear screenshot of it
C) Know the physics of the game at all.
D) Heard exactly how the buckler works, for all we know its a one shot deal or has some massive disadvantage.

Asking questions about the game is completely normal, but seriously nobody knows nothing and they're still making wild assumptions.

that is the POINT of this entire forum. to talk about the shazbot we know and the shazbot we dont know.

Rigel said:

We do have the following details...

- You can control/direct it while it is in the air.

- It comes back to you like a boomerang. In fact, it 'automatically' comes back to the player without the player having to make an active effort to 'catch' it.

Zoolooman said:
The buckler reflects direct projectiles, yes, but it also leaves a large part of the huge medium body unprotected, and it doesn't protect from splash.

I don't think that 'leaving a large part of a medium body unprotected' is really seen as a 'weak point' or 'disadvantage' to using the Buckler. This is because other weapons don't shield the player from ANY part of their body, let alone reflect the projectiles back at your targets. All of this while also being able to throw the Buckler as a projectile.

Edit: I'm not really on either side of the fence over this issue. I think the Buckler sounds great how it currently is and can't wait to try it. I'm just sort of defending the original poster's concerns.

Back