Ilum Response (a.k.a. "We done goof'd")

Ciceron

Contributor
Hello everyone; I wanted to update you on the issues we’ve been seeing today on the live servers, specifically within the Open World PvP area on Ilum. We’re aware that on some servers, either Republic or Empire groups have been capturing the Ilum control points, entering the enemy’s base and ‘camping’ the medcenters, preventing the opposite faction from leaving their base to recapture control points. This is not a fair or balanced gameplay experience and can also severely affect client performance, so we’re taking steps to address this.

Our intended design for Ilum Open World PvP is that players are instantly killed when entering the enemy’s base safe area, just like in Warzones, and that the defending faction can take taxis to other points within the zone. In Game Update 1.1, this is not working as intended. We have found the issue preventing this from happening under server load and will be publishing an Emergency Patch to address the issue. We’re aiming to have this patch published early tomorrow morning (January 19th, 5 AM US CST).

In addition to these changes, we’ll be reducing the population cap on Ilum. This should help increase performance by requiring your client to render fewer characters on-screen at once.

Regarding Valor gains, with the 1.1 update, players now receive a base reward of 20 Valor per unique enemy player defeated in a short time, and this base reward is modified by the number of objectives that the player’s faction owns. The gains are rate limited per player killed, encouraging players to attack unique players, not to pursue vendettas. The Valor gains players can see over time will vary greatly depending on the activity level in the zone. This is expected.

To dispel a couple of rumors that have been seen today – there is no Valor gain from destroying turrets within enemy bases, and none from killing NPCs.

We encourage players to avoid Ilum until our patch is deployed. As a temporary measure we will be disabling taxi services which would normally take players into the Open World PvP area. However, players will still be able to taxi out of the area.

We will continue to monitor Ilum across all servers and will make further changes to gameplay if required. We welcome your feedback here on the Forums, but please ensure your feedback is constructive and specific. Feedback based on rumor does not help us isolate potential issues.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic - Update on Ilum Open World PvP issues

It's funny because they're apparently not doing anything to all of the massive valor gains that imperials got. Bad developer is bad. I'm tired of the retards saying "Derp, well the game is brand new!!! WoW had tons of problems and bad patches when it started too!!!". A developer is supposed to look at past games and learn from them so they don't suffer similar problems when their game is released. There's really no excuse for this shit. Oh yeah, brilliant idea to not have a character copy system for their PTR so no endgame stuff can be tested by the public.

Today was the first time I was really dissapointed in the game. Our que times went from 0 to 45 minutes as a level 50. So 4 hours and didn't finish my daily. While I'm not a fan of geared 50's farming lowbies, from a pvp perspective the game went from good to bad.

1-49 Rep is instant and we actually win most of the time (and you can be a catalyst again which is awesome)

Asking a company to be psychic in regards to their code is silly; no one plans for this shit to happen and they at least admit fault and fix shit right away. Look how fast 1.1 came out. Just chillzors and play an alt for a day or two until they fix it. The fun you have as a lvl 11 commando will outweigh your lvl 50 frustrations!

1-49 Rep is instant and we actually win most of the time (and you can be a catalyst again which is awesome)

Asking a company to be psychic in regards to their code is silly; no one plans for this shit to happen and they at least admit fault and fix shit right away. Look how fast 1.1 came out. Just chillzors and play an alt for a day or two until they fix it. The fun you have as a lvl 11 commando will outweigh your lvl 50 frustrations!

This wasn't a coding error, this was a "developer has no fucking idea what they're doing" error.

The only bug was being able to keep Repubs from playing their characters. Fixing that won't do anything to make Ilum less retarded.

Today was the first time I was really dissapointed in the game. Our que times went from 0 to 45 minutes as a level 50. So 4 hours and didn't finish my daily. While I'm not a fan of geared 50's farming lowbies, from a pvp perspective the game went from good to bad.

If you know there is going to be a huge population imbalance, maybe you should choose the right side? You cant blame BioWare for population problems.

As for looking at old games and learning from their mistakes... I'm pretty sure Blizzard didnt release any code to BioWare so they could learn from it.

If you know there is going to be a huge population imbalance, maybe you should choose the right side? You cant blame BioWare for population problems.

As for looking at old games and learning from their mistakes... I'm pretty sure Blizzard didnt release any code to BioWare so they could learn from it.

I couldn't agree with you more about it.

A bunch of us are playing together and we were outvoted to roll Imp. Last night both of us were pretty pissed about it, for the reasons you said. The case made to go Imp by others was 'all the kiddies are going to go Jedi, and Imp will be the 'hardcore' faction. From what I see its 100% opposite where we play.

The other thing is I don't think its completely population imbalance but an overall lack of 50's.

I am enjoying being Republic. Of course I would prefer to shoot electricity, but Im forced to throw rocks. The fact that I am getting instant queues and steamrolling Imps in the under 50 pvp bracket is great. If it all goes sour when I hit 50 ill just deal with it like I did before the brackets. I still contributed even though 50s were rocking me.

Also... I am awesome at this game and without getting to 50 yet Im at Valor 32. So this whole 50/60 Valor thing doesnt bother me too much. There are 12 year old kids in every game that will do whatever they can to get an advantage, and when everyone catches up they find out they cant hang and quit. I look forward to making them quit.

Well, you can and can't blame them.

The only solution is restricting character creation to the least represented faction once the imbalance passes a certain threshold. The problem lies in how that threshold is determined and the fact that this system would limit choice.

A "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario and I can understand not doing it. However, something must be done on servers with 4:1 ratios (like Vulkar Highway).

Have you ever heard that the grass is always greener on the other side?

I'm sure after being ganked my 10th time in an hour I would...

Both sides have benefits; on Imp you won't get bothered much leveling, on Repub you have more geared 50's and faster queues. At least this is on Black Vulkars.

This was an issue I discussed with a few guildies while I was at work. I said, there's no way they will allow this to happen. It'd be ridiculous because they outnumber us so bad. Even if the daily called for killing 30 Sith and gaining valor only for those 30 kills, it'd take hours to complete the daily, which is more unreasonable than trading wins.

Then it went through, and immediately, the threads started piling up, streams of the sheer stupidity came to light, screen shots went out of control.

Sitting in my office, working in a completely unrelated small business industry, I saw this would be a problem. I am not sure how a PvP "Team" would be unable to, EVEN IF THEY DIDN'T TEST IT. This is a ball-drop that is pretty insane and caused me to unsub. I wanted some kind of apology (not because oh hrp drp I'm right) but because they really need to ackowledge screwup. It's good for the customers to have that response. I am sure I will resub on the 20th because overall the game is fun. And I am valor rank 50, so it's not like they have THAT much of a headstart on me. The damage is done, and the PvP will be tougher for the republic side on the majority of the server, but it certainly isn't that much more difficult.

I'm sure after being ganked my 10th time in an hour I would...

Both sides have benefits; on Imp you won't get bothered much leveling, on Repub you have more geared 50's and faster queues. At least this is on Black Vulkars.

You are wrong about this. None of those things matter in PvP.

The ONLY THING That fucking matters is on Repub side, THERE IS VERY LITTLE HUTTBALL!

FUCK HUTTBALL.

They say right in that thread that they are looking into the rapid gains. Lets just see what happens.

I did see this and laugh though.. Apparently these 3 guys were killing a small group of Imps when one guy turned around...

UfnY1.jpg

:lol: at the chat

Last edited:
There are a few sites out there which have open forums which talk about exploits and such, a few guys even inadvertantly through pictures, videos or pure ignorance/stupidity posted their names, a fair few troll around on the server I'm on.

Regardless, these people still play to this day, as well as most of the people that were farming these for hours that fateful night pre 1.1.0a.

Bioware are too lenient, but what do you expect as this stage?

There are a lot of methods to help an underpopulated faction, especially at end game objective based world PVP. But nope, it took them beta, live, complaints, a fix that didn't work and more still to ......well, we will find out eventually. I'm not just talking population either, I'm talking the whole mechanics of Ilum.

I wouldn't be surprised if nepotism was at play and some fucking mong of a special case retard was hired to design Ilum. Oh hey dad I gots cool idea for pvp, people...they...they shoot missles at walkers and POWWWW you get points, and it's all cool looking and spaceships bomb the baaase and yeaaah when you got them all BONUS FOR YOU!!!!.

Fuckwits, I could do better in 10 seconds.

Last edited:
The fact that they're not doing anything to people's valor even if they're trading kills is pretty sad and surprisingly amateurish coming from a developer like Bioware - first MMO or not. I'll be playing through some of the class stories, and then I'm done with the game unless there's major changes to PvP - my sage is nearly full champion geared already anyway, so it's not like I'll be missing much or falling that far behind. Diablo3 should be coming soon and GW2 is wrapping up closed beta, so there are going to be far better options soon enough (moreso GW2 as far as straight PvP goes)

Oh, and you can definitely blame Bioware for population imbalance. It's no surprise when one side has far better class stories and gear/ability aesthetics.

Last edited:
The fact that they're not doing anything to people's valor even if they're trading kills is pretty sad and surprisingly amateurish coming from a developer like Bioware - first MMO or not. I'll be playing through some of the class stories, and then I'm done with the game unless there's major changes to PvP - my sage is nearly full champion geared already anyway, so it's not like I'll be missing much or falling that far behind. Diablo3 should be coming soon and GW2 is wrapping up closed beta, so there are going to be far better options soon enough (moreso GW2 as far as straight PvP goes)

Oh, and you can definitely blame Bioware for population imbalance. It's no surprise when one side has far better class stories and gear/ability aesthetics.

Not only that, but Imperials have no animation delays, and WE DO. The animation actually dictates where project goes, as opposed to, you know making it the same.

Back