My not so small review of SWTOR as a Operative / Juggernaut

meh don't really care about the companion gear. I only use the tank guy or the dps guy on my sorc. I keep the tank at good gear and the other as ok. the rest I have doing crew skills pretty much the entire time.

That's kind of my point. Why even include so many companions when ultimately it's just best to stick to one specific one anyway?

Because the companions are based on your base class, not your advanced class.

For example, a Jedi consular can become DPS, Tanking, or Healing. They need to have enough companion configurations to compliment your solo playstyle, as well as your role in a group of 2. Also, I feel that the companions' stories/personalities are one of the more interesting elements of replay value.

Because the companions are based on your base class, not your advanced class.

For example, a Jedi consular can become DPS, Tanking, or Healing. They need to have enough companion configurations to compliment your solo playstyle, as well as your role in a group of 2. Also, I feel that the companions' stories/personalities are one of the more interesting elements of replay value.

This.

Tharan is a goddamn healing machine! I have been filling groups with 2 DPS and me tanking with Tharan healing everyone and we haven't wiped on anything yet. He heals waaay better than most players, and his Stun has a like 8 second CD which is nuts for casting bosses.

Something to think about if you want groups quickly.

Stop playing with bads is all I am thinking about. Flashpoints and heroics are worthless by yourself. They take more time and give less xp unless you have a readily available group willing to knock them all out at once. If you're doing it by yourself and asking in general chat, you inevitably get retards and the mission would take twice as long as if you had someone you know.

With the ability to buy mods/enhancements/hilts, I never needed to do any heroics on the different planets.

I would suggest you also do a good deal of PvP if you like your class. Being Valor Rank 50 by the time you hit 50 would be HUGE. 50-60 is a grind, but going from 30 or 40-60 is rather brutal. I hit 50 about 1.5 weeks ago and I'm at 53 now, and that's because I PvP almost exclusively. At 60, you have access to pretty much kick ass gear that is definately comprable to most PvE encounters in the game.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was focusing too much on PvE content while leveling, and not enough on getting my ranks up. When I get around to leveling my sentinel again, I plan on doing a lot more PvP and a lot less of PvE sidequests.

Stop playing with bads is all I am thinking about. Flashpoints and heroics are worthless by yourself. They take more time and give less xp unless you have a readily available group willing to knock them all out at once. If you're doing it by yourself and asking in general chat, you inevitably get retards and the mission would take twice as long as if you had someone you know.

With the ability to buy mods/enhancements/hilts, I never needed to do any heroics on the different planets.

I would suggest you also do a good deal of PvP if you like your class. Being Valor Rank 50 by the time you hit 50 would be HUGE. 50-60 is a grind, but going from 30 or 40-60 is rather brutal. I hit 50 about 1.5 weeks ago and I'm at 53 now, and that's because I PvP almost exclusively. At 60, you have access to pretty much kick ass gear that is definately comprable to most PvE encounters in the game.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was focusing too much on PvE content while leveling, and not enough on getting my ranks up. When I get around to leveling my sentinel again, I plan on doing a lot more PvP and a lot less of PvE sidequests.

It's not a matter of playing with bads, it's just plain faster. Balmorra has 3 heroic4 chains in the same area, and with rested I was pulling 1500xp per kill (packs of 4-6 aka 6-10k per pull exp). Took me 18 seconds to grab two random DPS dudes and we were off. We cleared the entire thing, and I got a level out of it. I'm straight Inf Shadow (not a tank for others reading) and I tanked it all fine. I find flashpoints to be ok for exp but they are fun and Tharan can heal them no problem as well.

Ultimately it's just reassurance that people can do things a different way and get into more flashpoints etc and have fun :D

There is no way you're doing 1500 xp per kill in a heroic 4+ content. A heroic mob gives 1300 as it is. You were pulling probably 3k+ a kill. Otherwise, getting a level means you were in there a long ass time hehe.

Last edited:
There is no way you're doing 1500 xp per kill in a heroic 4+ content. A heroic mob gives 1300 as it is. You were pulling probably 3k+ a kill. Otherwise, getting a level means you were in there a long ass time hehe.

I dunno lemme take a look tonight

C2N2 is great if you want fresh pillows and your ship to smell like nutmeg.

What happens with his gear though? I use Tharan instead because of Holiday's crazy OP stun.

I have my jugg up to 28 with less than a days played and will probably hit 50 in less than 3. I'll stick with a single companion, and gear her up. Plus her storyline is good. I thought that I would go with the healbot guy but really I dont need heals all too often.

Like Adren, I plan to do a ton of pvp to 50 so I can max my commendations. Doing the pvp daily, the daily space missions, and only quest on rested is by far the best way to level.

Although I bashed the Jugg in pve, I do prefer it over the Op (to a degree) in pvp. The Jugg is more involved, has more gaps closers, and stays alive longer. With the Op, I can take out guys fast in perfect conditions, but cloak is on a 2 min cd, and too many times you are stuck in combat for 30 seconds after you've done anything. Add the aoe spam that pops you out of stealth and it becomes frustrating at times.

Thats not to say I dont like playing an Operative, I soloed 2 pubs in Ilum the other day and typically when I pop my relics and get the opener in its a guaranteed kill. People just dont realize how situational it is. Those stunlock kills only occur 2-4 times a game and dont help the overall wz result.

ferret, you want to PvP as much as possible to cap your valor rank, not your commendations. Commendations buy very little. The valor rank is the key to the BM bags. You want to be Valor Rank 50, by the time you are 50. It means it will take you longer to hit 50, but grinding valor AFTER you hit 50 will be BRUTAL since the people you're playing against will be far better geared than you are as a fresh 50. In other words, if you are valor rank 40, and start PvPing at 50, it will take you very long just to hit valor rank 50. Right now, the PvP is actually very fair in lowbie PvP. Good way to valor rank up.

edit: it's not that commendations buy very little...It's just that getting your valor will naturally get you commendations as you go along. Ultimately, if you're a pvp'er, you want to hit 60 anyway, so I'm trying to say that getting as many levels as possible pre-50 is better.

Last edited:
Back