[t:v] T:vtv ?

ZProtoss

10,000++
I was reading about UT2k4 earlier today when I stumbled upon this tidbit of news:

"UnrealTV match broadcast system will allow for hundreds of people to view an Unreal Tournament 2004 match with minimal performance impact on game server. UnrealTV will be fully integrated into the server browser to make it easy to located broadcasted matches. "

Considering that T:V is using the latest version of the unreal engine, will we be seeing this integrated into T:V from the start? Here's another portion of news:

""UTV will be released for UT2K3 with a public beta happening shortly after E3 (just trying to tie up all the lose ends). Some people already have access to it. However, UT2K4 will go a step further and report proxies to the master server that will then show up in a tab on your server browser making it really simply to watch a match. "

Anyone who played T2 in classic knew about how fantastic T2TV was when it came out. Seeing this functionality implemented into T:V from the start would be a tremendous boon to the game.

I think there's a TV shoutcast program for UT2k3. Would be nice to see this built in to the game. Maybe even have it where you don't need to have the game to watch the game.

Why do people always say this? I can't believe so many people don't understand the process that game demos/etc work. Demos are small and fluently streamable because its just sending data to recreate what's happening in a game. Using graphics and sounds already on your computer. Therefore impossible to make a low file size high quality recording without having the game.

[57th]cneal said:
Maybe even have it where you don't need to have the game to watch the game.

[57th]cneal said:
Maybe even have it where you don't need to have the game to watch the game.

I'd also like this. Also I want to be able to play the game without having the game. :sunny:

I saw somewhere that they were going to implement that directly in the game. Unfortunately, im too lazy to search for the quote...

i believe KP already addressed this.

unreal engine will allow SERVER side recordings as well.

this means, on top of streaming, that afterwards... matches can be watched from every player's POV.

Well duh it'll allow server side recordings. Practically everyone knows that. Server side recordings don't mean instant low bandwidth streaming of the game to hundreds of people either.

[57th]cneal said:
I think there's a TV shoutcast program for UT2k3. Would be nice to see this built in to the game. Maybe even have it where you don't need to have the game to watch the game.

The whole point of compacted demos is that it takes advantage of the game files you already have on your system. All of the models, the engine, and everything else in a demo is taken directly from your system (not from the demo file). This is what keeps demos so small. If you didnt have the game, you wouldnt have any of these required files and the game would need to be included in the demo file (so it'd be just as big as a movie file).

In short, its impossible. The only way to do this is to watch movie files (which are freakin huge).

Back