Game Server Rentals by Thrax Panda - Page 3 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Game Server Rentals
Page 3 of 3
View Poll Results: Have you ever rented/leased a game server?
I rent/lease on a monthly basis 8 5.71%
My tribe rents/leases on a monthly basis 44 31.43%
I rent on a per event basis 0 0%
My tribe rents on a per event basis 1 0.71%
I don't rent now, but I'd be interested in renting in the future 33 23.57%
They'll never get my money 33 23.57%
My server is hosted at work/school 21 15.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Hoo_Man
I rip off fellow posters for cash!
Old
41 - 06-22-2003, 03:46
hopefully T:V wont be as bandwith demanding as bf1942.. holy ****, $180 for a 32 person server.

Sponsored Links
NcongruNt
Unregistered
Old
42 - 06-22-2003, 06:08
ummm. I've historically hosted my own server. One of the advantages of having a full T1 at home. I used to host my clan's (-ST-) UltraVX server. Since then, UltraVX has kinda died out, and I haven't really had a good reason to host since.

Voidsinger
VeteranX
Old
43 - 06-22-2003, 17:21
What is Sierra's motivation for asking that question? Are they looking towards hosting themselves for a fee? A barely-camouflaged "pay-to-play" system?

To paraphrase the spin coming from the T:V folks since Day 1: Why waste time on something that the community itself does better? Let people like GamingHost, ArtofWar and Recongamer provide servers for the T:V crowd, and let Sierra concentrate on making a great game.

Cruncher
VeteranX
Old
44 - 06-22-2003, 18:12
We just switched to a co-located machine, a p4 2.2 with 512 ram and 10m access with 6 major bacbones it is tied into. It is a company in Dallas I believe. We have been through many game hosting sites before, this one is not a "games" Host, but we can run as many servers as we want on our server.. we currently have 5 servers runing on the machine I believe, and haven't used half the bandwidth yet. as far as cpu, like 1 percent is all we hit. It is around $150 a month, but we have complete controll of the machine. and nothing is running on it other than what we put there, very nice.
All other servers we have rented could barely handle 20 players, we have had over 60 so far and only used up 1/10 of our bandwidth.

[X]Gamer
The Damn Host
Old
45 - 06-22-2003, 19:20
I am willing to give you guys a good rate to colo your boxes on our GigE line in Virginia, where TW is hosted.
If you pay $175 a month, I will give you 2U of space, and the ability to burst up to a full 100 Mb/s, and stream a full 2Mb/s based on 95th percentile.
We arent doing dedicated machines anymore, only colocation.
So, I have several 2U single CPU AMD servers for sale starting at $500 and going up from there.
They all have varying specs.
The slowest box is an XP1800 with 512 DDR.

Cruncher
VeteranX
Old
46 - 06-22-2003, 20:23
I am not the one to ask about our server hosting, I think I have only personally given $30 in 6 months to the sever fund, but I know the people in charge are VERY happy where we are now. Haven't had any problems where we have at 3 other places... and in Dalas, the server is centrally located for everyone on East coast as well as the West where I am... We are talking about putting several more serves up as well on the one machine. it is nice to have that option.. before we paid $74 for a private 24 man server, it cost more to put it public, that was like $170... for only 4 dollars more, it is our machine only, and we can put what ever we want on it. and if we need more network speed, they will plug in another nic but we haven't even come close to our peak yet, so no worries about upgrading.

[X]Gamer
The Damn Host
Old
47 - 06-22-2003, 20:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void|deadjawa
Void used to, we had a paypal account set up for it to donate. MX just bummed it off other people. But getting a decent server was one of the hardest things to do as a Tribe leader (especially because most tribes lack the funds to get one going). I hope you guys at Sierra have something planned to make it easy for us . Itll make more competitive Tribes pop up.

EDIT: We used Recon Gamer as well.
NC will die at the feet of the VS!!!!
You anarchist scum

Ceiling_Fan
Forum Ranger++
Contributor
Old
48 - 06-22-2003, 22:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidsinger
What is Sierra's motivation for asking that question? Are they looking towards hosting themselves for a fee? A barely-camouflaged "pay-to-play" system?
Yes. It's a conspiracy. Time to overreact.

Quote:
To paraphrase the spin coming from the T:V folks since Day 1: Why waste time on something that the community itself does better? Let people like GamingHost, ArtofWar and Recongamer provide servers for the T:V crowd, and let Sierra concentrate on making a great game.
Very good.

I imagine they just want to see if people would be willing to pay THEM to host servers. Anyone who wants to host their own server will still be allowed. Of course, they may be just asking cause they're curious and have no such plans at all

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
49 - 06-22-2003, 22:44
Tribalwar is like a free focus group with swearing

Page 3 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Game Server Rentals

Social Website Bullshit