[T:V] Naked, Light, and Heavy + secret weapons! by Sir Lucius - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [T:V] Naked, Light, and Heavy + secret weapons!
Page 1 of 3
Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 06-13-2003, 00:57
I read in that CGM article that there were still 3 armors, but now light is like totally naked and medium is more like light 1.25 I guess, and heavy is still big fat fatties. Anyways in the article there is this kick ass concept art of a BE armor, but it looks like a medium armor...

Ok, I just looked back, I can see the male armors are just a bit thicker.

Anyways, they say each armor has a uniqe weapon, which is pretty cool. We know heavy is mortar -- I mean come on, for real. It's a nice well rounded weapon. I'm sure there will be something mortar-like with the same functionality. Well that's the fatty weapon.

Medium weapon (the 1.25 version of T:V) is the sniper rifle. I can tell b/c the concept art for the Mercury character (Julia's mother I'm guessing) has a custom sniper rifle and her armor isn't fatty. Based on that I think it's safe to assume Mediums get the sniper rifles.

Then there's light . Light gets a unique weapon. That interesting I think, but what could it be? To figure it out we have to look at what's special about the tribes weapons. First off the mortar is an AoE destructive weapon of doom. It can be used long range, but isn't as accurate. Sniper rifle is pin point hit/miss with infinate range. Both are rather fitting of the armors, but what's fitting of a light?
First, it'd have to be a useful weapon.
Second, it'd have to fill a weapon niche.
Third, it'd have to fit the light armor only.
Well, what we do know is it's not the disclauncher, and it's not the chaingun. It'd make no sense if it was the burninator. Blaster is too basic to restrict imo. It's not the grenade launcher, I've seen a smoke arc in the CGM SS of a light armor.

Where does that leave us? The light armor is obviously centerd on its agility. Freedom of movement. Do you see where I'm going with this? :uptosomet

Yeah, I think it's a grappling hook. :]

But who knows, the game is over a year away, they could change it out of spite.

PS: To panda and weasel. Do not tell me if I'm wrong. I'd rather the hope fade away on its own, thx.

Last edited by Thrax Panda; 06-13-2003 at 21:57..
Sponsored Links
Beren
Tribalwar Aussie
Contributor
Old
2 - 06-13-2003, 01:06
hrmm.. i read the article last night and i read it that light was lighter and that medium was more like light is now and then heavy was heavier.

So that to me would infer that the sniper (there was always going to be sniper of some kind.. else you alienate everyone.. sniper role is something everyone screws with at some point whether they be good at it or not) rifle goes to the less then current light, medium which is now like our light won't get sniper, but something else and then mortar/bigassweapon for heavy.

i have the mag here, i will do a quick re-read and post again.

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 06-13-2003, 01:09
Page 63: "Now with Fewer Buckles and Snaps!"

then compare Julia "practically no armor at all" to Mercury (on page 59). Mercury is like the light from previous tribes imo (and she has a sniper rifle)

Beren
Tribalwar Aussie
Contributor
Old
4 - 06-13-2003, 01:12
btw, heads up, mags don't loose that great smell they have when posted to Au (can't buy CGM here). Mine smells amazing still.

Quote:
CGM - Page 63
Although armo[u]rs will be divided into light, medium, and heavy suits, the categories will bemore diffrentiated than before. The new light will be like no armo[u]r at all, the new medium is like light used to be, and the new heavy is a lot heavier.

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 06-13-2003, 01:15
Oh, and I also think that burninator gun replaces the plasma cannon. It fills the weapon niche imo.

Beren
Tribalwar Aussie
Contributor
Old
6 - 06-13-2003, 01:19
if it does the flames mustn't hurt to much... i figured it was more of a big time hurt weapon, something the heavy could really do some damage with being able to carry plenty of ammo. but if it is the plasma that isn't a bad evolutionary path for the weapon to take, as long as its balanced.. but still v.cool. it sounds cool, but if its the kinda thing you get like 15 shots with or something it would need to be rather weak.

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 06-13-2003, 01:29
I hadn't thought of that, but you're right, the heavies will have more ammo. Maybe that means a naked could only get 2 or 3 full charged blasts. I don't think it'd be anything super unbalanced tho.

Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
8 - 06-13-2003, 01:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren
if it does the flames mustn't hurt to much... i figured it was more of a big time hurt weapon, something the heavy could really do some damage with being able to carry plenty of ammo. but if it is the plasma that isn't a bad evolutionary path for the weapon to take, as long as its balanced...
We won't take weapon evolution into account when we balance this game. So the fact that the plasma rifle has never been all that powerful won't have any effect on the burner. It will be balanced to be effective in this game.

Plus I'm really hoping to be able to set somebody on fire as they ski past. Slowly burning enemies on a night map would be like fireworks on a calm summer's eve. But so far it's just a design on paper, so if it sucks we'll replace it with the exploding rat suitcase.

Beren
Tribalwar Aussie
Contributor
Old
9 - 06-13-2003, 05:33
oh i wasn't meaning so much in the actual evolution of the gun in the tribes time line.. I meant just in the franchise as the way a gun might change through different versions of the game.

i.e T1 Blaster -> T2 Blaster

Being able to set stuff on fire has been something I have wanted to do since first running around the circut in blastside with the plasma out with a shield on in T1.

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 06-13-2003, 11:27
Last page of the article, check out the trio pose. The heavy and medium armor have some interesting weapons. Julia, of course, has what looks like a ddernt model of the disc luncher. I realize that first one was just a prototype, but her version looks rather small, so it's hard to say what a heavy would look like carrying one of those (of course it's only concept art).

Now the heavy looks like he has a big ****ing gun. This is the latest concept art for the heavy I've seen (I'm guessing) as he doesn't have the weapon mounts like he did at first. It's more like the model:

Well that gun is ****ing huge, and it looks like it has an ammo clip. I'd like to say it's a mortar. Two barrals, but I'll chalk that up to a complicated rotating barrel loading system and not a double shot deal.

What's got me is the medium armor. It looks like some kind of rifle. Square barrel so I'm guessing it doesn't shoot grenades. In terms of functionality design it just doesn't look like a chargable weapon, and the chaingun is already covered. So to me, that's either a sniper rifle (as Mercury's is supposedly custom), a blaster (once again, I'll assume Mercury's blaster like weapon is maybe just to look cool and not of actul design), or a unique weapon and I'm wrong about the sniper rifle/grapple hook thing.

Oh, and I'm positive it's not an elf, shocklance, or missle luncher (we already know these aren't in the game ;P).

I'm going to go with blaster. From the look of the weapon design, it might actually be usuful. Faster moving projectiles would be my guess, kind of like the storm trooper's blaster only more accurate. Either that or standard sniper rifle.

But who knows, these could be cutom character weapon designs too.

Last edited by Thrax Panda; 06-13-2003 at 21:54..
Neek
VeteranX
Old
11 - 06-13-2003, 13:19
? The CGM Article is out???
I thought it had a week or so before it hit the presses!
Or did you guys find it through less "traditional" means?

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 06-13-2003, 13:22
The only place I could find it was EBX. It's $8

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 06-13-2003, 17:51
Ok, see, now I think I might be wrong. The mercury sniper rifle has a clip. That's just a little odd to me, and I'm pretty sure they don't want to change to formula for the gun. So it could be a custom wepon character specific to the story. Then that medium with the assult rifle on the last page could be the medium specific weapon (although I don't see why a light couldn't use it, but who knows).

I don't really mind being wrong about the grapple thing, but I thout it was kind of cool about the sniper rifle thingy with the 2nd level armor. That would lead to a farming problem though. Mediums would need to be able to deploy turrets and inv stations, and that could suck for o sniping and base camping. On the other hand, they can still weigh players down, to the point that mobility is much more difficult, so that's another consideration.

Last edited by Thrax Panda; 06-13-2003 at 21:52..
Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
14 - 06-13-2003, 20:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Lucius
I read in that CGM article that there were still 3 armors, but now naked is like totally naked and light it more like light 1.25 I guess, and heavy is still big fat fatties.
Let's not confuse the issue. Light, Medium, Heavy. Light and medium may be lighter than you're used to, and heavy may be fatter than ever, but they are still light, medium, heavy. Don't confuse it with some new system.

Light. Medium. Heavy.

Njal Storm
VeteranX
Old
15 - 06-13-2003, 21:25
yes. and making the new mediums like old lights will make the medium armor used more.

prediction........ medium will take over as cappers..... clever.... ohh well we'll see.

Njal Storm
VeteranX
Old
16 - 06-13-2003, 21:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neek
? The CGM Article is out???
I thought it had a week or so before it hit the presses!
Or did you guys find it through less "traditional" means?
i bought mine at a sheetz gas station on the 11th

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 06-13-2003, 21:38
It is a new system tho. What you've basically done is eliminate medium armor though a modification. If medium is like how light used to be then it's basically like light armor. I guess what I didn't consider is that changing the light armor changes the terms of gameplay. My guess is that light is supposed to be much more agility based. I'm guessing Julia plays in some tribal sport league based on the story boards and her movements are about speed and agility. I'm guessing the light armor will make up for it's lack of armor with the ability to dodge. I'm also guessing the 3,4,5 weapon limits will be in place for L,M,H. Which means medium would still be 4 weapons. Dammit, if that ****ing sniper rifle didn't have a clip I'd be much more sure of myself right now.

But the other thing is, I'm not sure if there's an epack. Tradtionaly the epack has been a prerequesite of the sniper rifle, possibly to balance the weapon I suppose. From what I see in the SS is there are a few 'testicle' like mega jetpacks. In addation the Heavy Phoenix has design docks for a regualr jetpack that doesn't include the super balls. I'm guessing this is a replacement of the epack? Hrmmm, maybe those are just for the phoenix. They're skinned and would look pretty stupid on a light armor.

Damn, I need new info.

Last edited by Thrax Panda; 06-13-2003 at 21:51..
Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
18 - 06-13-2003, 21:47
LIGHT.
MEDIUM.
HEAVY.

I will delete any posts that use other terminology.

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 06-13-2003, 21:55
Oh well, better than that gaystorm that was Sir Lucius , Assult, and Juggernaut of tribes2 fame.

EDIT: Oh you ******, you actually went though and edited my posts

Last edited by Thrax Panda; 06-13-2003 at 21:58..
Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
20 - 06-13-2003, 22:06
I swear to god I will ****ing kiss you thrax.

Last edited by Thrax Panda; 06-14-2003 at 02:20..
Page 1 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [T:V] Naked, Light, and Heavy + secret weapons!

Social Website Bullshit