[T:V] I know there's an online petition out there

lgp-michael is a fucking moron. I downloaded one of their ports when I saw that guy's post on t3.org, and the demo I installed ran well. However, the games they ported were pretty shitty, and not close to the edge of technology (least what they show on their products page).

Sierra takes a big risk in letting a 3rd party develop a port. Besides development issues and leaks, a bad port will be blamed right back at Sierra, reguardless of who ports it. Further, having 2 products helps no one. The vast majority of people (even those, like myself, who run linux for everything but games) will purchase the Windows product over the Linux one, for both support and reliability issues. There is currently no reason to have any consumer confidence in a linux version of a game, and confidence to invest your $50 for that version INSTEAD OF the windows version is not going to happen anytime soon.

The only way to drive the use of a linux game (at this time) is to bundle it with the windows version, or releasing it for free.

locke,

while that guy may make shitty ports (i wouldn't know) icculus is a known and reputable developer of linux ports. He's done a bunch of stuff with the ut2 engine, and is actually finishing up America's Army right now, meaning he may be in PERFECT POSITION to start up a new one ;)

I understand, but he is not going to offer a 0 cost solution like LGP boy promises. And if he does (loki games it), then you run into what I described above. A ton of sales for windows, and not a whole hell of a lot for linux.

I dont mean to be the constant "it wont work" asshole in this thread, and for that I apologize. It just seems that Sierra has a budget, and a time schedule, and reading shit like what was quoted above, a linux CLIENT port wont fit.

I agree that it seems very unlikely, especially considering there is already a ship date, so its unlikely that the guy will be able to port it fast enough to get in the box, which would be the only reasonable way (i agree with you there).

You can always ask in the bittah thread when it gets started. It would seem that sierra is open to a client port, they just aren't interested in doing it themselves for obvious financial reasons.

jsut said:
You can always ask in the bittah thread when it gets started. It would seem that sierra is open to a client port, they just aren't interested in doing it themselves for obvious financial reasons.
I would assume that if there is money to be made, Sierra would try and make it. If Sierra doesn't think a linux port is a good idea I'm gonna assume it's not a good idea.

I'd love to see a linux version, I just agree it doesn't seem to make much sense.

Thrax Panda said:
A server probably makes sense. We're looking into that.

This mean you are changing from Pandas to Penguins as the tribe? I always hated being a Panda.. i felt kinda.. repulsed by it, like i was a microsoft lacky. But being a Penguin, man we could get chicks!

I'll be happy as long as there is a linux server. Like it or not, Linux is still one of the most stable server platforms, and is very widely used. Not having a linux server for Tribes (1) was bad enough. The T2 client for linux was a nice achievement, but not enough people actually play games on Linux so it's hard to justify all the dev time required to port a game to X. On the other hand, a linux server port is not as much work, and will open many new servers possibilities.
And god I dont want to have to resort to wine nomore.

Back