Tribes 3 Concept: Team logo's

this sounds ALOT like Raven Shield. You can have arm patches
ss_entry2.jpg

You see the arm patch? You can put and custom image of your own there. Pretty cool.

EDIT: PyroTeknik beat me to it...:(

That armpatch looks good, except it should support transparency (GIF?). The black around the actual patch makes it look like BuTT...

transparency is SO easy oh my jesus. You just have the transparency color (like magenta) and then doesn't get drawn. GOD havn't you ever mad a half life spray? (hl uses full blue)

I think it was triple who made that goatse armpatch.
Hilarity ensued.

I had some nice screenies too, but I still can't figure out where the fuck RS puts screenshots.

Sir Lucius said:
transparency is SO easy oh my jesus. You just have the transparency color (like magenta) and then doesn't get drawn. GOD havn't you ever mad a half life spray? (hl uses full blue)

r we in 1996???

YOU are!

U r like, ono, make in tranparent.

I will murder you now!

:eek: they should have an alpha channel for a bump map so you could make it look like it was engraved. That'd be cool! (2003 baby!)

But that bumpmap thing is pretty cool tho don't you think?

Then you could have your little "5150" engraved onto your armor rather than painted.

And upon re-examination a bumpmapped goatse would just floor me :eek:

It wouldn't be REAL bumpmapping per se, but damned if it wouldn't be cool to emboss words with your little 3 to 4 kb png on your back or whatever.

Well, real bump mapping (at least the good stuff) is a pixel shader effect and allows you to create lighting effects based off the embossing (see many many of the maps in UT2k3).

While this would be an awesome effect for icons and words, customized for an armor...

I would rather they used a plain png skin texture drawn as a decal over part of the armor (with transparency) so we can both emboss (using transparency) and we can draw colored flat pictures.

It isn't quite as awesome as bump mapping, but not bad either.

I don't see why you can't just have an alpha layer that acts as a height field and have the engine render that as the bump map (so there'd be realtime lighting and stuff). Or am I missing something?

I know Luci.

The reason I said to go with the embossing is for flexibility.

So someone can just draw ANY png on that spot. A picture of the sun, a decal of a team logo, (and the bad stuff argh).

With any png, you could also emboss a symbol.

I would LIKE bump mapping also... but I like the flexibility of just a png better.

see, I still don't get it, b/c you can just draw whatever you want on the png alpha layer for it. It's not like you'd need a seperate script file with shader info or something.

See Luci.

Four ways to break down a PNG that I know of.

Alpha = effect. This is what you'd be using for a bump map.

Alpha = transparency. If you're using bump map, you can't use the alpha for transparency.

Brightness = transparency. This is what T2 explosions use.

Brightness = effect. This is also a possibility.

If I want to use bump mapping with the alpha layer, wouldn't I be forced to use an on/off (gif style) transparency when relating to the original decal.

I'd like to use the alpha layer for transparency, and not for effects.

ok, now I see what you're saying.

Well how about this then:

You have seperate skin files for each element of effects for the engine.

Like you'd have mySkin.png and that'd just be the basic skin.

Then you'd have sperate files which are basically just an alpha layer with the extention changed:

mySkin.bump.png
mySkin.relection.png
mySkin.magicalsparkles.png

I know, I know, I know -- it's extreamly bulky and takes up a lot more space, but it'd be good for organization.

Another idea would to be the inclusion of a skin tool in the game where you can just paste in each of the layer effects for the texture, and then save it as a special T:V filetype. Personally I'd like that idea the best, but we all know that in the past game companies aren't too quick t release useful tools to the community.

Back