Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [T3] Shrikes?
Page 2 of 5
TerroX
Veteran5
Old
21 - 03-23-2003, 22:16
I guess I dont care about auto-aim if you remove the ELF aiming too.
Ditch mega-long-range weapons too.

Sponsored Links
ZProtoss
10,000++
Old
22 - 03-23-2003, 22:28
Why would the shrike needed dumbed down newbified weapons? Ramming is something that I'm sure most people realized would be there since early T2. It wasn't something that "wasn't intended". Blasters work extremely well for their main purpose of shooting down other vehicles. They also work extremely well for chasing targets. If and when a T3 comes, a T2 shrike with the same physics (or similar), would work out extremely well. It's found a very useful role in classic. It'd hurt the game alot if it was removed/changed/dumbed down for newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerroX
Well I guess the whole situation will be totally different if the Shrike has useful weapons next time around.

Blaster.. Hrm, it is hopeless.

An optional homing missile (not locking on players) and it turns into an anti-vehicle weapon that the average player can use (eg shifter missile shrike) but it needs limited ammo for sure, so flares will be more useful than just waiting to die.

And since the concept of ramming players is more effective than actually using the weapons on the vehicle then we can see that its flawed. Otherwise it would have huge ramming spikes on the front etc, another one of those unforseen side effects becoming gameplay ALA skiing.

ZProtoss
10,000++
Old
23 - 03-23-2003, 22:32
Just the clarify again. The Shrike in T2 has the most varying skill levels of any other position in the game. Adding things like "auto aim missiles for the average player" would be the the worst thing one could do to that. It'd completely lessen that skill curve by a large fold. Which of course is a bad thing.

Archaic
VeteranXV
Old
24 - 03-23-2003, 22:33
I find the shrike most useful for covering cappers when they're foot capping.

Shrike allows you to be anywhere, anytime, at any angle. This isn't overpowered, it takes skill, adds depth, and is appeling both visually and in gameplay mechanics.

I play T1 and T2 and I think shrikes should stay around in T3.

TerroX
Veteran5
Old
25 - 03-23-2003, 22:46
don't you think that there is something wrong when you are better off ramming people than shooting them with the guns on a vehicle? Its like "this gun is too weak and hard to aim against a scout/medium/heavy I will just ram all the enemy instead".

Ramming is cool, I agree with that - but if the guns suck so much against players, maybe something else needs fixing. And ramming did no damage to the vehicle, which was pretty hopeless. Ramming a Jugger (how many tons?) and ramming a sensor.. who wins?

and the auto-aim missile thing is for anti-vehicle combats, where vehicles would also have flares by default too. BUt that is getting too much for the players braincells so I guess it better be ignored.

ZProtoss
10,000++
Old
26 - 03-23-2003, 22:52
Ramming and lasering players are two entirely different situations. There are MANY situations when using the blasters is much more effective than ramming. The main purpose of the shrikes weapons were for vehicle vs vehicle to begin with. Ramming is most useful for intercepting fast moving people midfield. Which by the way no weapon in the game can do effectively aside from ramming. (In terms of shooting at someone and somehow stopping him). For chasing blasters are every bit as effective as any other weapon in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerroX
don't you think that there is something wrong when you are better off ramming people than shooting them with the guns on a vehicle? Its like "this gun is too weak and hard to aim against a scout/medium/heavy I will just ram all the enemy instead".

Ramming is cool, I agree with that - but if the guns suck so much against players, maybe something else needs fixing. And ramming did no damage to the vehicle, which was pretty hopeless. Ramming a Jugger (how many tons?) and ramming a sensor.. who wins?

and the auto-aim missile thing is for anti-vehicle combats, where vehicles would also have flares by default too. BUt that is getting too much for the players braincells so I guess it better be ignored.

dunce_boy
VeteranXV
Old
27 - 03-23-2003, 22:55
dude, have you played anything other than shifter in T2?
the shrike blasters work very well against other vehicles, why add something(your anti air shirke missile idea) that would take very little skill to use and cant even use vs a player? sure the blasters may not be the best weapon, but come on, thats like saying, "the weapons a light is allowed to use arent that great, why dont we let lights carry mortars". Its all about balance, and the shrike blasters are pretty balanced imo, both vs vehicles and players.

Archaic
VeteranXV
Old
28 - 03-23-2003, 22:57
Well said, dunce_boy.

The point of a mod is not to give each armor/positon the most power you can, it's about diversity and teamwork.

That's why base(or mods of base) has and will always be more popular than "power mods" like renegades and shifter. All armors are way to overpowered.

R@ND0M
VeteranX
Old
29 - 03-23-2003, 23:00
and ramming into the ground only to have your shields recharge allowing you to repeat this indefinately is ok?
You said it yourself, when a vehicle has the most usefulness in a First Person Shooter, something has gone wrong.

The T1 scout was better. Mid-airing people actually required skill, and ramming was just enough to kill 1 person, sometimes 2 (if from behind). It was a double-edged sword when making the decision to ram, not "I'll be able to repeat this exact maneuver in 5 seconds when my shields recharge".
The scout would've been better if you could move on more than a 25 degree angle, but it was still very useful to somebody who knew how to use it correctly.

ZProtoss
10,000++
Old
30 - 03-23-2003, 23:04
What are you talking about? If you hit the ground at any type of speed in T2 your shrike will be exploding in record time. It takes *far* more skill than you're portraying. It's obvious you haven't played much T2 recently. If it was as easy as you claimed it was, then you'd have dozens of people who could dominate games instead of a very select few. Statements like "Mid-airing people actually required skill", is utterly uninformed newbie drivel. I'd like to see you do 1/16th of what the good people in the air can do in T2. Odds are you wouldn't come close.

The vehicle abilities are balanced by the cumbersome method that they're attained. You only have 4 per team, they need gen power, and no pressure at a vehicle pad for an extended period of time. That alone balances it. If you make something like that only useful for a minute of play, why even bother with the entire process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ND0M
and ramming into the ground only to have your shields recharge allowing you to repeat this indefinately is ok?
You said it yourself, when a vehicle has the most usefulness in a First Person Shooter, something has gone wrong.

The T1 scout was better. Mid-airing people actually required skill, and ramming was just enough to kill 1 person, sometimes 2 (if from behind). It was a double-edged sword when making the decision to ram, not "I'll be able to repeat this exact maneuver in 5 seconds when my shields recharge".
The scout would've been better if you could move on more than a 25 degree angle, but it was still very useful to somebody who knew how to use it correctly.

dunce_boy
VeteranXV
Old
31 - 03-23-2003, 23:07
to support ZP's post, in classic you get 1, maybe 2 chances at ramming a person.

ZProtoss
10,000++
Old
32 - 03-23-2003, 23:11
Yep. The increased speed not only made rams much more difficult to time and hit effectively. It also made it so you had one shot max to do it vs any given player. At most 2 if the guy is going slow. Compared to the ridiculous nature of base where even someone with no talent would have 8-9 shots of hitting someone on any given run.

R@ND0M
VeteranX
Old
33 - 03-23-2003, 23:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZProtoss
What are you talking about? If you hit the ground at any type of speed in T2 your shrike will be exploding in record time. It takes *far* more skill than you're portraying. It's obvious you haven't played much T2 recently. If it was as easy as you claimed it was, then you'd have dozens of people who could dominate games instead of a very select few. Statements like "Mid-airing people actually required skill", is utterly uninformed newbie drivel. I'd like to see you do 1/16th of what the good people in the air can do in T2. Odds are you wouldn't come close.

The vehicle abilities are balanced by the cumbersome method that they're attained. You only have 4 per team, they need gen power, and no pressure at a vehicle pad for an extended period of time. That alone balances it. If you make something like that only useful for a minute of play, why even bother with the entire process?
Just as I'd like to see you do anything that somebody great in a scout can do in Tribes 1.

You were in aYg correct?

hehe, I guess that'd make you a hypocrite then.

Ramming and Skill is an oxymoron

Last edited by R@ND0M; 03-23-2003 at 23:49..
SterIO
VeteranXX
Old
34 - 03-23-2003, 23:53
It's painfully obvious you know very little about T2 competition and balance random; stop digging yourself deeper.

jsut
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
35 - 03-23-2003, 23:53
were being the operative word. ZP is one of the best shrikers in T2, if not the best. If you want to see what ZP can do in a shrike i suggest you watch the following demos:

http://teamwarfare.com/demos/viewDemo.asp?DemoID=9680

http://teamwarfare.com/demos/viewDemo.asp?DemoID=9972

[meph]DooM!
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
36 - 03-23-2003, 23:55
Haha, Zprotoss is using the same "retards could do it in 'xxx', but it requires skill in 'zzz'" argument that he is whining about Random using

Let's look at the big picture: Vehicles aka "Newbiemobiles" suck dick in any Tribes game..

ZProtoss
10,000++
Old
37 - 03-23-2003, 23:57
This alone proves how utterly ignorant you are. I don't think I need to say anything more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ND0M
Ramming and Skill is an oxymoron

Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
38 - 03-24-2003, 00:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma4286
i dont like that idea Thrax, i like the idea of if you jump out at a certian speed u suicide...that will bring balance.
OK, from a different angle then, why didn't anybody use the fighter in T1 to get speed for a cap? I seriously don't even remember what happened when you ejected, as I never really flew the things.

verve
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
39 - 03-24-2003, 00:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrax Panda
OK, from a different angle then, why didn't anybody use the fighter in T1 to get speed for a cap? I seriously don't even remember what happened when you ejected, as I never really flew the things.
because when you jumped out you stopped dead in midair

TheGhost
VeteranXV
Old
40 - 03-24-2003, 00:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsut
were being the operative word. ZP is one of the best shrikers in T2, if not the best. If you want to see what ZP can do in a shrike i suggest you watch the following demos:

http://teamwarfare.com/demos/viewDemo.asp?DemoID=9680

http://teamwarfare.com/demos/viewDemo.asp?DemoID=9972
Don't forget Vir, when he played he dominated the game :o

The shrike requires alot of skill, but I'd like to see it go, vehicles didn't make either tribes game "great", just added a little effect, I'd rather concentrate on players, rather than vehicles...

Page 2 of 5

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [T3] Shrikes?

Social Website Bullshit