A short orchestral piece

dgamer

Veteran X
A short orchestral composition

Its summer, and I thought music composition might be a nice hobby to try and pick up. I bought this book a year ago, but haven't really had time to read more than a few pages of it until the last 2 weeks or so. I also bought a keyboard a year ago that hasn't seen much use either. To this day, I can't read staff notation without saying "Every Good Boy Does Fine" and FACE in my head for every chord. :( Thank god Fruity Loops doesn't use staff notation.

So anyways, behold my first ever music composition!
Lightbulb

Last edited:
Thanks!

And I agree with it being pretty light, but I could not figure out a way to make it more intense. I tried increasing tempo, trying more complex harmonies, adding percussion, etc. but could not make it intense and not sound bad. Maybe if I get better Ill revisit this one.

To this day, I can't read staff notation without saying "Every Good Boy Does Fine" and FACE in my head for every chord. :( Thank god Fruity Loops doesn't use staff notation.

When I got started with composing a year and a half ago, I was pretty terrible at reading music. I've forced myself to learn because standard notation is the clearest and most efficient way to represent and visualize music. (Otherwise it wouldn't be the "standard.")

Ricci Adams' Musictheory.net has some good trainers for learning to read.

It's worth the effort because if you can read music, you can understand traditional theory books and draw from the better jazz/classical resources out there. It all depends on your goals though.

Your piece is pretty good for a first try. If you want to add intensity, try adding a double bass and timpani. The melody would be more convincing if you sustained the high notes rather than have everything be staccato.

Very well put together for a first. Also MusicTheory.net is a great site, check it out.

I remember when I first discovered FruityLoops. Ah that god damn piano roll.

Last edited:
When I got started with composing a year and a half ago, I was pretty terrible at reading music. I've forced myself to learn because standard notation is the clearest and most efficient way to represent and visualize music. (Otherwise it wouldn't be the "standard.")

Ricci Adams' Musictheory.net has some good trainers for learning to read.

It's worth the effort because if you can read music, you can understand traditional theory books and draw from the better jazz/classical resources out there. It all depends on your goals though.

Your piece is pretty good for a first try. If you want to add intensity, try adding a double bass and timpani. The melody would be more convincing if you sustained the high notes rather than have everything be staccato.

Ooh, yeah, the trainers on that site seems good. Ill try to spend some time there.

Back