Hey Sierra, Release T2 Gold For Free Public Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rilke

Veteran X
Fileplanet, Fileshack, you know, the whole works, absolutely free. Put a splash screen for T:V on her and she's good to go.

tribes 2 would be a pretty big download, 550-600 meg. I bought the re-release of tribes2 just to support the great people who put time into it, and i also needed an alternate account.

Can you imagine the smurfing....

500,000 people that have T2 already dl it over and over.

Why is this a good idea Rilke? T:V doesn't come out for over a year.

Any buzz that results from this will have long dissipated by then.

Flatscan said:
Can you imagine the smurfing....

500,000 people that have T2 already dl it over and over.

Why is this a good idea Rilke? T:V doesn't come out for over a year.

Any buzz that results from this will have long dissipated by then.

I don't think such a good gesture would be forgotten.

Additionally, there's something very attractive to a lot of people about a free game, or free things in general (free shipping at Amazon, Enemy Territory, Counterstrike, a blowjob from your "best friend" Shiela, etc). I imagine you would see more new faces playing Tribes 2 than from the $10 jewel case thingie. ($10 is too much today for T2, given the alternatives out there.)

Pendragon said:
Wouldnt be worth it for them. People still buy the game you know.
Would giving away T2 to all the people who have never played T1 or T2 make them more likely to buy the next game, or just piss them off?

Wow, Thrax actually responded to this.

Would giving away T2 to all the people who have never played T1 or T2 make them more likely to buy the next game, or just piss them off?

I think it would more likely make them want to buy the next game. From the websites I frequent, a lot of people like T2. The main people who do not like T2 (or get pissed off) are those who have played t1 and just don't like the way T2 is different. For those who have never played either one, T2 is actually very exciting.

I had two friends over the other day who have never even played either Tribes game, and they played the T2 demo and were just floored by it. The vehicles, jetpack, and all of it is actually very exciting.

Thrax, would Sierra actually do this?

I reall think Sierra would majorly benefit from it.

Thrax Panda said:
Who in their right mind gets pissed off when they can get a game for free? Even if they don't like it, they didn't have to pay for it. Only thing that might piss them off is if they spend two days trying to download > 1GB only to find the game sucks (*cough* PlanetSide *cough*). I played the T2 Demo from the week it was released until I purchased the full version in November, 2001.

How about asking Rockstar games if sales went up for GTA3 and Vice City after releasing GTA full version for free.

Just going by WONID (assuming they're sequential), I'd guess T2 has sold just under 1,000,000 copies. It's bargain bin now and probably wouldn't signifigantly affect your sales to release for free. I do think it would bring new people into T2 that otherwise never would have heard about it. It would be good publicity, and knowing how great T2 is I don't think it would turn people off from the idea of buying T:V.

This is of course assuming you're going for an open beta like WC3 and would release a playable T:V demo once it goes gold. Both of those are probably better for insuring future purchases if the game doesn't suck.

rilkean panther said:
Fileplanet, Fileshack, you know, the whole works, absolutely free. Put a splash screen for T:V on her and she's good to go.
BitTorrent is simply THE BEST for distributing large, high demand releases. I'd love to see more companies supporting BT downloads instead of people having to wait in line for downloads from Fileplanet.

even if you manage to convince the ppl that come here like thrax and marweas it doesn't matter; theyre just peons
the brass would never go for it

Lou,

Calm down. It was a joke. Take a few deep breaths.

btw, not even close on the T2 sales numbers. More like almost 50% of that.

Nobody would get pissed about T2 being released, or a retextured, new interface T1 for that matter (check out Sarc's stuff in scripting & modifying). That would be a small download. Neither one is probably a good idea though as the newbs would face not only the learning curve, but the impatient, grizzled vets that are Tribes 1&2 today. A good T:V single player demo that teaches the basics is probably the best bet.

A little off topic, but I was amazed to see RTCW Enemy Territory for free. RTCW is not that old. If I owned it, I would be kinda pissed that they were giving ET away for free. Seems to be working though, as it at least created some buzz in the general forum.

Thrax,

Calm down. I didn't take you seriously anyway. I know this being Tribalwar, that someone typing more than a simple sentence or two may confuse you. It doesn't necessarily mean that person is upset, fanatical, or being "belligerent" because they actually use paragraphs and complete sentences. I do not need to take a couple of deep breaths. In fact, I prefer to hold one LONG breath in for a few seconds to improve my buzz from the
CRACK.

Sounds like a good idea imo. Altho i did have mixed feelings about the free coverdisk release of t1 we had in aus before t2 came out, but t2 admin/voting is alot more mature, so shouldnt be as much drama this time with rampart tards/tks etc u get with having TD on games.

If you did release it for free for download/magazine coverdisks etc ..sooner than later would be better, before the storm that will be hl2/doom3 at the end of the year.

mogmomgmog THE DOX... THE t1 MAPPER DOX.... if so i need to talk to you omogmgogomomgom heart attack shit.

edit: on a more serious note, yes i need to talk to you if you are the one.

Tribes 2 is still an excellent game, especially now that a lot more people's systems can run it with graphics and textures turned up. And in terms of the games available for free, including the new RTCW, I think T2 and all it has developed into would blow the competition away.

The free game would bring people not only into the game, but into the community as well. The T:V splash screen on the free T2 would only be token, whereas most of the T:V hype would come from the new players' experience in the community.

jesusphreak8604 said:
Wow, Thrax actually responded to this.
I think it would more likely make them want to buy the next game. From the websites I frequent, a lot of people like T2. The main people who do not like T2 (or get pissed off) are those who have played t1 and just don't like the way T2 is different. For those who have never played either one, T2 is actually very exciting.

I had two friends over the other day who have never even played either Tribes game, and they played the T2 demo and were just floored by it. The vehicles, jetpack, and all of it is actually very exciting.

Thrax, would Sierra actually do this?

I reall think Sierra would majorly benefit from it.

This post has a lot of merit. Five friends of mine bought the game after watching me play in a base match, and I sucked ass at the time. One of the same came over the other day because he "wanted to watch a match or scrim or something" and decided to buy the $10 re-release for the classic update. [It's still available somehow at our EB.]

The great majority of people play walking FPSs, which pale in comparison to the speed and 3d movement of T2 and classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back