[T:V] Are we up to this stage of gaming yet? [Voice recognition]

kesh

Contributor
Veteran XX
Honestly, I for one would love to see this happen. LouCypher's quickmenu was a script that created a system of actions based on bindable keys. IE: as a user you can easily create a keybind to do whatever you please.

Now, take that concept and throw in voice recognition. In the future of gaming, the increase of interaction between the player and the game has obviously increased. Having the ability to bind a voice command like "Disc" and have it change the current weapon to the disc launcher. This in actuality, while making gaming more 'loud', it will make gaming more fun as well as fast.

I'm not too c/s savvy about microphone input and it being incorporated through a 3rd party program such as Tribes or whatever, but I think it can be done. Not to mention the fact that it will definetly set Tribes apart from other games out there.

Da_Timsta said:
gamevoice can do that, and you can configure it for different games. I don't really see a reason to include it with the game...

Yeah, I tried it a while ago and it seemed to clunky and it made mistakes and all that.

Its a cool concept, just don't spend any of the valuable development time in wasting it on such a thing. Just let 3rd parties develop and maintain such an interface.

Pushing a key that's about a half inch away (if that) from where my fingers are already situated seems easier and faster.

I don't know about you, but in my head, what goes on is...

say i'm HoFing.

(Incoming capper)
Switch to Elf->Switch to disc -> Switch to missle launcher -> Switch to mortar.

Thats a very general yet common situation, however, it only proves my point, I don't think in my head.

Press button 1 -> press button 2 -> press button 3 and so on.

The problem with that is that you cant use any teamspeak chat programs if you had something like that built in. They would interfere with each other.
EG:
You yell "I need to pass the flag!"
"pass the flag" could be the in game voice command to throw the flag. :\

Last edited:
There's probably going to be weapon groups (UT2k3 & U2 has this) so that should make selecting a weapon less complex if that's what you're looking for. It would be cool if you could by selecting someone from a group, force them to do things that otherwise they would need to do on their own. e.g. say I'm behind someone and they have the flag and they haven't seen me so I select them from their group that they’ve assigned themselves to and force them to drop the flag thus allowing me to pickup the flag. Also, when showing someone where to set mines etc, you could as a team captain move them to the location and force them to drop a mine and then backup.

Thrax Panda said:
Stop it!

Can someone demote him to member?

It's not UT2K3, and it's not Unreal 2.

I assumed that you could do this. I've never gone out and bought a ~5k or something engine so I really don't know what you have unless either the U tech website has that info. In this case though, I can only say that having weapon groups would probably be a better alternative to this

Gundamflare said:
Having the ability to bind a voice command like "Disc" and have it change the current weapon to the disc launcher. This in actuality, while making gaming more 'loud', it will make gaming more fun as well as fast.

in which case, you could get to your weapon faster with minimal key binds. I'm assuming that when Gundamflare said voice binds that what he really wants is limited keys but it could also be to feel the power of using your voice to control what happens in the game. In which case, that would be pretty cool as well and if it's possible to add that then go for it. But if it's not possible then I'd suggest the next best option should used whatever that may be.

Half-seriously, I think the way to approach the possible uses to voice recognition in the game would be to look at it from an actual tribesman's perspective. Here you are, you're wearing power armor of some kind, and you can't have a full keyboard to work with since you're using your hands for other things. What kinds of actions would you want your armor's computer to handle through voice-commands?

I can see this being quite useful for inventory loadouts, at least. It would certainly save me from having to bind up my entire set of numpad keys.. Say I press the 'INV key' and say "Loadout Three", and the computer selects my HO loadout for me, and then when I next hit a station, bam, there I am.

As for the possible conflict with teamspeak//RW//teamsound, I dunno how to get around that as a programmer, but if there is a way, a simple keybind might do the trick. One keybind for press-to-talk for your voicecomm application, and another one that tells the game to listen to what you are saying.

Back