[T:V] [T2] Ban Missile Launcher

NAT Mav said:
A better alternative would be to make it so that the player has to keep their crosshairs fixed on the target in order for the missle to track the target.

This solves a few problems:

1. Shrikes can shake the missles by getting out of the sight of the targeting player.

2. Players being targeted can run for cover rather than run + flare

3. The player firing the missle is vulnerable to attack while standing still keeping the missle on track

THIS would do it I think. Finally putting skill into a no skill weapon is what T:V needs and finally proving once and for all that Dave G. messed up badly on his little newb weapon we all know and love, the missile launcher.

[57th]cneal said:
THIS would do it I think. Finally putting skill into a no skill weapon is what T:V needs and finally proving once and for all that Dave G. messed up badly on his little newb weapon we all know and love, the missile launcher.

Well, he made the vehicles so hard to kill that it pretty much had to be in there. If it had not had the ability to fire and forget and lock onto players as easily as vehicles it might have been more popular and less noob-friendly.

Planetside has the targeting missle (striker) all figured out. It requires a constant reticle lock on the target.

Either that, or have it so that you can carry a max of 5 grenades, but you can pick and choose. 2 flares... 3 explosive for offensive players, or 5 flares, no explosives for FCs. you get the idea

Increase the effectiveness of Missiles against turrets.
Decrease the effectiveness against players.

Problem solved.

Now, the Missile Launcher becomes a strategic weapon best used to take out strategic resources, rather than a killing players.

And due to its decreased effectiveness against players - it wont be carried as much by the defense, so offensive vehicles will indirectly benifit.

edit: You would also have the benifit of decreasing blind mortar spam. Why bother blind spamming if Missiles could actually take out turrets effectively?

Last edited:
God forbid they actually watch their heat guage or sneak into a base instead of flying at max speed and holding down the jetpack button.

Are you mad because you can't chuck grenades at that heavy in the field to finish him off quicker than normal mine-disking now?

If you want to be LO, you're going to need flares. Grenades, in my opinion, are really meant for use inside of bases and such. Flares are for people who want to go high-speed flying.

If there's anything you need to bitch about, it's wildcats. They usually blow up with one missile and can't outrun the missiles either. A shrike is more mobile, has better guns, can take two missiles, and can outrun most missiles. The only thing good about w-cats is their size and hard to hit with a disk... but a shrike is still much better if you need mobility - something I thought the w-cat was meant for.

Njal Storm said:
several options here:

1. make flares a seperate 'batman' belt feature & u can carry another grenade type

2. no-lock on armors, but make it shoot without lock so u can get dumb fire MA's

3. axe it all together

i like #3

but if they do put it in, it shouldnt have dumbfire, and should only lock onto V's and Equipment.

Kefka said:
If you want to be LO, you're going to need flares. Grenades, in my opinion, are really meant for use inside of bases and such. Flares are for people who want to go high-speed flying.

I'd say if ya want to go outside at all, you're going to need flares.

Maybe the missle lancher just does to much damage vs. players. It will kill a light in one hit.

I say only lock onto vehicles, maybe turrets as well if they have strong shields.

How about being able to ride the missle like in that movie "Dr Strange Love" o_O Rofl.

Phaseshift said:
I'd say if ya want to go outside at all, you're going to need flares.

Maybe the missle lancher just does to much damage vs. players. It will kill a light in one hit.

You only need flares if you're using an energy pack outside, really. I rarely use them on characters with repair packs and such because I'm not doing a whole lot of jump-jetting. Only time I use them without the e-pack is when I'm defending turrets from missiles.

If you take out the missile launcher altogether, you'd have to make vehicles easier to take out and probably lower turret shields as well.

You can't just say take it out and not expect some other changes...

I agree it feels and seems sort of cheap to just aim, fire, and go do something else while the other player has to either throw a flare, or else get hit- but when you're being overrun by vehicles, or need to take out a turret from far away, there is no better.

commonsense said:
If you take out the missile launcher altogether, you'd have to make vehicles easier to take out and probably lower turret shields as well.

You obviously haven't heard much about T:V. They're doing this...the vehicles part anyway. I don't know why turrets MUST be destroyed, but then again, I didn't play much t2.

Last edited:
Shinigami said:
You obviously haven't heard much about T:V. They're doing this...the vehicles part anyway. I don't know why turrets MUST be destroyed, but then again, I didn't play much t2.
It's because they're insanely powerful and accurate. A plasma turret can take a light out in one direct hit.

Assuming the plasma does anything at all. And I've lived quite a few times after getting hit with a plasma - although very beat up. I think it does the same damage as a disk.

borlaK said:
Sorry if this topic was covered, I did a search and found nothing.

When T2 first came out and while we played base and base++, I argued for the ML. It had a good purpose - to kill vehicles, and to a lesser extent, lower the amount of spam (killing assets)

Now, however, this weapon has a negative affect on skill and strategy in the game.

As a player, it's just stupid to get hit by the missile launcher. You are skiing along on your well planned route, or chasing down a capper, and suddenly a missile is on to you and unless you carry flares (lets make all the other grenades useless) you get hit by someone that didn't use any skill to hit you (and do lots of damage).

In classic, the ML makes vehicles more useless than they already are. The shrike is still a viable weapon in classic, but the ML negates/dumbs down any amount of skill you have with the shrike. You can excel in the shrike and be nullified by some guy locking on to you. It takes a lot more skill, and is quite possible, to MD a shrike coming at you. Besides the MD, if you are aware enough you should be able to dodge shrikes. You take out the ML and it's the shrike player's skill vs. the HO's (or whoever) instead of Shrike VS Missile.

Thanks to the speed in classic I can use different grenades now and generally not worry about getting missiled (don't use as much jet), but if your team is getting dominated, all your opponent need to do is sit back with ML and missile the people in spawn.

The intended balance of the ML to help with assets and vehicles was good. It shouldn't be used vs. players and I feel shrikes and possibly bombers should be allowed to flare (have flares of their own). The only reason I would leave the ML in classic is because of the tank.

:)

I agree to some extent, but eliminating the ML altogether isn't a great idea imho. Vehicles might be less useful in Classic than they were in Base, but they're still a factor on most maps that allow them. I'm a lonely farmer dragging my MPB to the flagstand on Slapdash. I see a lone shriker 300m out hovering and spewing blasters at it. I see a bomber over the horizon ready to nail the flagstand. What am I supposed to do? Wave my targetting laser at it?

There's 3 solutions to this:

1) Make the ML target vehicles only: Possible, but cumbersome. You'd make a weapon map-dependant i.e. if the map you're playing on has no vpad, some of your loadout prefs are next to useless. I already feel 20 loadout is somewhat restrictive, imagine needing some more just for the occasional vpad map.

2) Replace the ML with a new, somewhat "automated" man-portable AA weapon. A phalanx gun (basically a massive chaingun that tracks and tears shit apart)? A multiple-missile launcher à la Macross/Robotech (Players could still be targetted but would get hit by less missiles, thus less damage... most vehicles would get hit by the majority of missiles, thus relatively the same damage as one old ML hit)?

3) Make the missiles "dumber". Shrikes might outrun or outmaneuver them, players could easily sidestep them, but a vehicle that basically runs into a ML (like a bomber or a hovering shrike) would not be able to.

Something needs to be fixed, the ML needs to be changed, but removing it entirely without an alternative AA/AV option is ill-advised.

Why don't you make mines and grenades the same animal?

Instead of a mines slot and a grenades slot, make two "belt items" slots (like Batman). That way, you could take flares/mines, flare/whiteout, flare/concussion, consussion/mine, grenade/mine, etc.

I think this would solve most of the problems with people who want to take the other grenades, but don't want to become missile bait. I always carry flares, so, to me, missiles are the least of my worries and dying to one is a freak accident.

Kefka said:
Why don't you make mines and grenades the same animal?
I think this would solve most of the problems with people who want to take the other grenades, but don't want to become missile bait. I always carry flares, so, to me, missiles are the least of my worries and dying to one is a freak accident.

How would that solve the problem? Everyone would still carry flares. Is that what you want?

The only complaint I can really find is that people want to use other grenade types instead of flares. With flares, missiles are a stupidly easy to avoid.

They would lose their mine-disk ability, but at least they get those dandy whiteouts when at a crossroads with two heavies.

Saying missile launchers get too many frags is ridiculous. The only time I fear the things is when I'm in a tank out in the open.

Plus, it would lead to some interesting combos other than flares... like a light with cloak, shocklance, and concussion/white outs - great way to deal with those heavies with shield packs.

Last edited:
Back