[UVALAN5] Tribes Council

Got Haggis?

Veteran XX
Figured I'd start a thread for the Tribes Council that will be happening at UVALAN5. If you can't make it to UVALAN5 and want your voice heard, post your ideas here. Hopefully those of us that are going can bring up any issues that are raised here. Also, for those of us that are going, we can discuss issues we want to bring up at the council. Remember, they are having several break out sessions for mappers, modders, etc. If time/space permit, I'll be attending the one for mappers.

Soitenly.

I think quality maps is important for any game. Good maps can make a mediocre game worth while, or poor maps can sink a good game.

Not only should maps be of good quality (interesting geometry, game-based design, diverse, frame rate friendly, etc.), but there should be a generous "map schedule" offered by the developer.

For example, maps released for the GOLD version of the game should be the maps that reflect how the game is played during beta. But just any game will require patches after release, and just as any game is adopted by the community (and played differently than in Beta)irrational should plan on releasing new maps with some of the game patches, and then every so often to keep play fresh. 3 new maps every few months or so, until the game is on it's feet.

In addition to a generous map schedule, I think an intuitive map rotation is important. T1 featured a nice, small map rotation whereby every map was as exciting as the last. T2, on the other hand, had virtually no map rotation worth playing straight through, much less over and over. As a result, servers were punctuated with incessant voting. Subsequently, it was difficutlt to enter into the type of meditative, non-stop play that was possible and healthy for T1.

Lastly, in the words of Ezra Pound, "make it new." Give the poor T1 maps a rest for T:V. Undoubtedly, some community mapper will revive them or some version thereof, but hopefully irrational will encourage a more creative hommage to the things that have worked in the past.

There's a shit load to say about mapping. Hopefully we can eek it all out in these discussions.

Btw, is DOX working on T:V maps? I know he's down under, but maybe he makes good $ and and couldn't afford to help. Dunno. Would be nice though because his work is always exciting and new.

Last edited:
rilkean panther said:
Lastly, in the words of Ezra Pound, "make it new." Give the poor T1 maps a rest for T:V. Undoubtedly, some community mapper will revive them or some version thereof, but hopefully irrational will encourage a more creative hommage to the things that have worked in the past.
Barring the expected "Classic" map pack for T:V, I'd hope maybe the story is so far ahead of either game that the planets that maps like "Scarabrae" and "Gorgon" are on haven't been discovered yet. I know we'll see them anyway with the terrain conversion tool, but I'd like everything out of the box with T:V to be original maps designed with that game in mind.

No Rilke - bad Rilke =)

I LOVE the Classic maps. I would love to see them plus a whole boatload of new maps made for T:V.

Some specific maps I would love to see re-done:

CTF:

Acrophobia (would rock if vehicles were well done and well balanced with fast/hard skiing)
JC
CCD
Damnation
Titan
DBS
DX
SH
SB
RC

Hunters:

From T1 - most of the maps except the one with a big floating base and missles outside. That one sucks. I would especially like to see Spear and the Magic Helmet - that map is mostly (totally?) a port of DX absent the bridges and towers.

From T2 - None they universally sucked.

DM:

The only map of any importance is Woody Myrk. These are relatively straightforward to create: keep them outdoors, keep them small and provide reasonable, but not great, skiis.

yeah, they already stated that in one of the chats/forum disccusions. And I'm glad they are doing that...I would much rather have them focus on creating new kickass maps.

I think it would be nice if the use of IRC or even a voice chat could be brought to the LAN. As far as ideas are concerned, just look around for anything that seems interesting as a topic. Maybe even get a stack of cue cards so that you can have a discussion with the devs :) Anyway, it's not like anyone isn't going to be heard and I'm sure there will be more than just the one UVA council. Maybe next time it will be closer to home? Anyway, good luck, have fun and speak your mind onto what the next Tribes game should be.

well really I just thought it would be good to have some dicussion about it before it happened to flush out what we (the tribes community) want out of the next tribes game...and beyond. I mean there is a lot that is fairly obvious.....nothing bad can come of dicussions though

(well..unless you count pink disc launchers as being bad ;) )

Back