1024x1024 textures - anyone using?

bugs_

Veteran XV
Is anyone using the 1024x1024 textures with tribes?

Are most people using groove's or fsb-spy's configs using 512?

I would like to hear comments from people who have tried 1024x1024.

ive made terrains up to 1024x that work fine, although the bigger they get the more likely you are to have crashes at high FOVs

base stuff with emjays hires plugin i think i tested up to 4096x without trouble, some textures like the one that stretches over the SH its nice to have those super hi res

makes map loading longer (obviously) and imo there's a point of diminishing returns, at some point i think i downgraded my 'hires' pack and removed the 4096/2048 textures and saved 100MB+ without any really noticeable visual difference

altho i probably left the SH texture really big still

the maps that lush terrain crashes on are broadside, broadsideLT, blastside and hillkingLT, it doesn't matter what resolution past 128x128

I guess it's because how much game has to render + a map problem. We can get around that by adjusting rendering values such as FOV and Terrain Visible Distance, the higher the FOV - the lower TVD has to be to keep amount of rendered data from crashing the game.

so for $pref::playerFov = "120"; we have to have max $pref::TerrainVisibleDistance = "575";

you could say that FOV and TVD are yin and yang of the tribes. how could it be otherwise?

anyway what do you plan to do about textures bugs_?

Last edited:
cool, didn't know limiting terrain distance helped those crashes

i think it affects all maps, but ur saying its only lush? i know it does it on DX sometimes too at 120

i remember that fucked me up for a while doing the LoDFix cause i was testing at 120 FOV (normally i play at 108 or 110) and couldn't figure out why one config would crash and the other wouldn't until i realized it was the stupid highres terrain crash

ya sleepy told me about it tbh. i think game can still crash with too much hd stuff tho.

The config I'll be releasing in a few weeks, (looking like late January if groove is down to help optimize vhuds and scripts ;] ) is entirely 2048 textures with a few sacrifices to save memory allocation.

It currently crashes after each map and requires a reload of tribes, but again it hasn't been optimized yet and is also using altimors version of skybox which is notorious for crashing due to poor memory allocation. Also, anything higher than 128x128 for terrain will crash in conjunction with these assets

I am hoping mj will make a usable version of skybox that models default sky memory allocation

<3

The config I'll be releasing in a few weeks, (looking like late January if groove is down to help optimize vhuds and scripts ;] ) is entirely 2048 textures with a few sacrifices to save memory allocation.

It currently crashes after each map and requires a reload of tribes, but again it hasn't been optimized yet and is also using altimors version of skybox which is notorious for crashing due to poor memory allocation. Also, anything higher than 128x128 for terrain will crash in conjunction with these assets

I am hoping mj will make a usable version of skybox that models default sky memory allocation

<3

have you talked to mj about terrain textures?

So in D4M45T3R's 1024 lushDML.zip file the lccc.png file is actually 512x512 and not 1024x1024.

This created some problems for us - it may be causing other people some problems as well FYI.

if there is a 1024x1024 version of lccc.png please post.

That is well known Z's terrain. There are no other 1024x1024 textures that would match his by style. U could just upscale it. Who do you refer to by "us"?

Last edited:
Well. Who is Z?

btw what about 1024x1024 desert? anybody got? why is desert being discriminated against?

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Z aka broast aka fuck idk he changed names many times

personally never dug on that particular lush, too dark but i never made a 1024x version of my lush so i guess its the only 1024x out there

and yeah, desert never got any love afaik, sorry

p.s. i still dont see the point of 1024x terrains - unlike base textures that are used on all kinds of different things and stretched to all different sizes, terrains are a fixed size and its not all that big

not worth the memory hit and map load time increase imo, but to each their own.

Z aka broast aka fuck idk he changed names many times

personally never dug on that particular lush, too dark but i never made a 1024x version of my lush so i guess its the only 1024x out there

and yeah, desert never got any love afaik, sorry

that's true. his lush terrain has few flaws. the other 1024x1024 lush is the one by Gladiator aka Sinep here on forums and the one made by shift. If there was 1024x1024 version of your terrain it could easily top all those 3.

Back