master server not refreshing

KittyCat

Veteran XX
this d00d / guy is asking on irc for me to post this

<Liteflower> what about the clientprefs.cs how do i get it to refresh the master server its not showing all the servers
<Liteflower> someone here told me what i needed to edit awhile back and it worked
<Liteflower> it sonly showing about 15 or so servers
<Liteflower> not community or arghs
<%Kill-Switch> u gotta save this stuff to a text file
<isuk> yeah
<Liteflower> and alsowhen i maximize the tribes screen it doesnt fill up the entire screen its in full screen mode too,
<isuk> u dont have the chinese
<isuk> servers
<isuk> lol
<Liteflower> yeah i knw but what

Idk abot master servers altho im having some problems too. For fullscreen problems open autoexec In config\modules and add these 2 lines (obviously change ur resolution accordingly):
$spref::VideoFullScreen = "true";
$spref::VideoFullScreenRes = "1920x1200";

open tribe, hit ~ for console, paste this, close tribes and re-open

Code:
$Server::CurrentMaster = "0";$Server::MasterAddressN0 = "t1m1.pu.net:28000 t1m1.tribes1.co:28000 t1m1.tribes0.com:28000 t1m1.masters.tribesmasterserver.com:28000";

has the 2 working masters bugs pointed out and the 2 old ones we've been using forever, i assume it should work (didn't test)

actually now that i got around to testing it, it doesn't work in a lot of configs if they have sp1.acs.cs because a lot of versions of that file have the masters hardcoded in there as

Code:
$Server::CurrentMaster = "0";$Server::MasterAddressN0 = "t1m1.tribes0.com:28000 t1m1.masters.tribesmasterserver.com:28000 t1m1.pu.net:28000 skbmaster.ath.cx:28000 kigen.ath.cx:28000 t1m1.masters.dynamix.com:28000";

you could either // out that line about the masters in sp1 and then do what i said

or since you've already gotta open it with notepad, might as well just edit it to t1m1.pu.net:28000 and t1m1.tribes1.co:28000

it is objectionable to me to have that script reset the master data the next time you restart tribes. that behavior is from plasmatic's sp1 patch for 1.40.

perhaps in sp2 that could be changed so that if someone changes their master selections they don't get put back to the mandatory defaults (which are usually always broken).

yeh my first thought when i found it was 'why is this in here' but i have a feeling there was a reason

wasn't there some kind of exploit where a server configured a certain way (intentionally) would wipe out peoples masters and open up crazy links?

and we put the masters into a script so that it would get overwritten on every load so that if a malicious server fucked with them they'd be reset back to normal?

maybe im remembering wrong or mixing it up with something else tho

There was (is) a problem but this fat finger of the master server list doesn't fix that problem.

It is only there to prefer one of the six community masters over the others. Bad design especially when that particular server isn't maintained. Even worse to change it back to broken after the customer has manually configured it a different way.

ah ok if this isn't a fix for that exploit then fuckit, was probably just there to add in community masters after dynamix shut down the real one

i think sp1 was meant as a 1-script fix for a bunch of issues the community would have with a stock 1.40.655 install and wasn't meant to be treated as forever or 100% necessary

i didn't use it in some of my configs because i already had the hudmessupfix and the flaghud score fix and didn't need the rest

Back