Newb question

Uncle Slappy

Veteran XV
I just got the trial, and I REALLY don't want to start playing to have someone tell me I fucked something up. I get from the newb thread that perception is the best thing to have, but you have to choose sub-races, schools, etc... Does this effect your perception? Or just your skill levels?

It sounds like the race really doesn't matter much beyond what kind of weapons you use, so I should just pick a race I like(Caldari for me, but the guide says I should be different), go through the military path as much as possible, then stick as many points as I can in perception?

The server just went down for maintenance as I was creating a char, so now I'm spending some time doing more research but if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

PS: Does Eve have some kind of online character builder to check out things?

Real men roll amarr and fly minmatar.

Edit: You don't want to completely max out perception. It helps for spaceship command and guns, but everything else needs other stats.

Caldari Acharu race can have the most balanced stats, with everything but charisma at 9

then you can do the learning skills to get those up

If you plan to do pvp, I'd suggest training minmatar. Just trust me on this one.

Last edited:
Having perception around 10 is NOT a bad idea for your first character. Just make sure no other stat is below, say, 7 and you're OK.

But yea, minmatar is really the choice now, since you get such a healthy boost to your starting stats (~ 1million), and being minnie will make sure your skills are both combat + in ship classes that are useful for pvp. (although gallente are the better missioners imho)

Having perception around 10 is NOT a bad idea for your first character. Just make sure no other stat is below, say, 7 and you're OK.

But yea, minmatar is really the choice now, since you get such a healthy boost to your starting stats (~ 1million), and being minnie will make sure your skills are both combat + in ship classes that are useful for pvp. (although gallente are the better missioners imho)

I really believe it depends.

I know I prefer minmatar because our gangs run claymore + speed fits and a vaga is just so sexy for that. Gallente are good though too, Myrm can put out like 800dps with the right fits and still have 5 heavy drones out on top.

I had a sac I put together on one of my alts, double reps resists in the 80-90 range.. I could tank 2 drakes just fine, I ran into one Myrm and I dropped before the gang was finished warping... I felt like I was on the wrong end of an ike turner beating =( I see gallente more for gate camps or fleet/large fights

in a vaga though I would have just aligned to warp, mwd cycle and kill his drones then took him out at range.. but the sac was too slow to do that with out getting noobed.

Here's a simple breakdown of the types of ships:

Amarr: Tank Tank Tank with bew bew lasers
Minmatar: speed freaks, either alpha whores or bleeders.
Gallente: up-close-and-personal death. Drones.
Caldari: Cockfagging long-range missile whores

So if I wanna pvp with you guys as soon as possible, what's my best route? minmitar? Whats the best sub-race, school, and profession to choose to get into the action quicker?

Slappy, do what I did:

Gallente ships at first. They're solid pvp'ers and argueably the best mission whores. You'll need a source of income, gallente and drones is that. Minmatar are piss awful at ratting. Arty's have horrible damage and AC's use too much ammo. Their ships are paper thin too.

Gallente on the other hand have VERY hardy ships and do very respectable damage. Drones are also used on almost every ship, so traiing them up early is a smart idea.

Once you get some good drone skills plus gallente bs3 or 4 (for mission running/ratting) switch over to minmatar. Minnie ships are greater, and eventually training minmatar cruiser to 5 will NOT be a mistake.

Sadly, this shit takes time. Stick with gallente for a couple of months, get the drones up, then jump ship to minmatar.

Or you can just train Caldari and be decent at everything, but not great at anything, except mission-whoring and NPCing. :lol:

FYI, another noob here trying to get involved. I've actually tried to get into EVE several times, it's right up my alley I think but just haven't ever sunk me teeth into it completely.

I just started a new character (Adren Ahline). I tried to balance out the stats as best I could b/c I think I'll enjoy fighting and PvP but also might get into Missions, Courier, Trading, etc...

Anyways, let me know the best way to get involved with all of you guys. I think being involved with a Corp is a big part of what I've missed in the past. Right now I'm firmly in the mode of just trying to learn the game, but any advice you guys want to send my way would be appreciated!

Minmatar aren't that bad for ratting. I would rat triple 1.85m spawns in a typhoon all the time with shit skills. N-types with a named LAR are good enough for tanking (this was against angels which are just horrible to armor tank). Most of your damage still comes from heavy drones, the rest from torps/cruises. Just prevents you from cross training another BS if you really don't want to.

Training Minmatar is like training 2 races anyway. Everything T1 up to the BS's use one set of skills, and then once those skills are shored up and you get cruiser V you need a whole new set of skills to be really effective.

edit: if you were planning on crosstraining to minnie cruiser 5 anyway, might as well just start Caldari. You can atleast carry over the shield tanking skills.

Last edited:
Minmatar aren't that bad for ratting. I would rat triple 1.85m spawns in a typhoon all the time with shit skills. N-types with a named LAR are good enough for tanking (this was against angels which are just horrible to armor tank). Most of your damage still comes from heavy drones, the rest from torps/cruises. Just prevents you from cross training another BS if you really don't want to.

Training Minmatar is like training 2 races anyway. Everything T1 up to the BS's use one set of skills, and then once those skills are shored up and you get cruiser V you need a whole new set of skills to be really effective.

edit: if you were planning on crosstraining to minnie cruiser 5 anyway, might as well just start Caldari. You can atleast carry over the shield tanking skills.
Even the T1 stuff is like that

You armor tank a rupture, but a stabber uses a shield extender
Typhoon is an armor tanker, but a maelstrom is a shield tanker
Cyclone is shield but Hurricane has slot layout for armor tanking

It's like minmatar engineers have no idea which way they want to go

Even the T1 stuff is like that

You armor tank a rupture, but a stabber uses a shield extender why are you flying so many t1 cruisers lol
Typhoon is an armor tanker that has more shields than armor and is really fucking hard to fit well, but a maelstrom is a shield tanker
Cyclone is shield but Hurricane has slot layout for armor tanking i just refitted my hurricane to be a heavy 425 3 gyro vagabond = good or bad :shrug:

[strike]It's like minmatar engineers[/strike] ccp have no idea which way they want to go

Is there a way for me to get the second level of Memory/Intelligence learning skills for less than 4.5million?

I have like 6 million but I don't really want to use that much on the skills if there's a cheaper way for me to get them.

Also, when should I start looking into getting involved in the corp, etc...? I've still got some training to do before I've got Minmitar Frigate IV and can use a Microwarp Drive. Do I need both of those before attempting to apply?

Back