What to skill up first? by Slobax - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Eve Online
Reload this Page What to skill up first?
Page 1 of 2
Slobax
VeteranX
Old
1 - 12-27-2008, 00:36
This game is so damn daunting, that even finding a definitive, up to date, guide on what to skill up with first is daunting in itself because of so many EVE sources being out there. But I trust TW.

I figured the stickies here were mostly out of date, since the one dates back to 2005/6.

No idea what race I'm going yet, if that matters.

Sponsored Links
Phalanx
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
2 - 12-27-2008, 01:36
the old info is still true. if you are unsure if you will stay in eve, train your races frigate up and the skills to fit decent pvp modules on it. that means navigation skills to fit a microwarpdrive, the engineering skills to give you enough powergrid to fit all of your slots, the electronic warfare skills to fit a warp disruptor. when you are sure you are sticking with eve for abit, train learning skills high as possible as well as the skills to fly a battleship to make money with.

basically,
navigation 4
afterburner 4
high speed navigation 1
electronics 3
propulsion jamming 1

and train the following as needed/you see fit
frigate
engineering
small turret/standard missile

the races are pretty much equal at the beginning, and races have little influence on your future development; it's your attributes that dictate how fast your character trains

i believe the 'achura' is still among the best suited beginning attributes

we have the public channel 'tribalwar'

missions are a good way to learn the ui and how to move/target/shoot, but otherwise makes you want to stab your eyes out and should be avoided

pvp is where it's at, yo

you haven't accepted my ps3 friend invite

Slobax
VeteranX
Old
3 - 12-27-2008, 02:18
****..sold my ps3 to help alleviate money stress...I'll miss it when games like kz2, gow3, and heavy rain drop in 09

And thanks for the info, anymore tidbits of tips from anyone is welcome

Slobax
VeteranX
Old
4 - 12-27-2008, 05:25
So i read that Caldari Achura/Inventor is like the cookie-cutter "best" way to start a character, but I can't stand the way they look. I honestly like the Gellente's the best, both lore and looks wise, but it seems like they are really gimped because of so much useless Charisma? Would I be totally gimping myself making a Gellente?

Kore
VeteranX
Old
5 - 12-27-2008, 05:40
No, some skills will just take longer to train is all.

Cuda
The A-maze-ing4
Old
6 - 12-27-2008, 09:46
I sense another Reggs coming. OMG I don't like the way this ship looks so I'm not gonna fly it.

Slobax
VeteranX
Old
7 - 12-27-2008, 12:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
I sense another Reggs coming. OMG I don't like the way this ship looks so I'm not gonna fly it.
More like, I don't want my only source of identification, my "avatar" picture, to be a ****ing old ass ugly asian guy. I could care less about the ships, I don't even know what each races ships look like.

I'm not going to play one race just because it's the min/max best. Never have.

Phalanx
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
8 - 12-27-2008, 15:59
i purposely made my avatar stupid looking

Spoiler

Artemis Pockels
VeteranX
Old
9 - 12-27-2008, 20:48
go with the black minmatar nigs

the ones with stunna shades

Slobax
VeteranX
Old
10 - 12-28-2008, 02:31
I love playing ugly ass characters in single player/console games that have character creation - but for some reason in RPGs I need to be able to "get into" my character, and I can't if he's **** ugly.

Vlasic
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 12-28-2008, 03:05
I'd like to "get into" my toon, but that's because I hate myself.

haniblecter
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 12-28-2008, 10:38
Guides are updated relatively frequently and still apply.

As for training, just start running missions and train new skills as you feel the need to use new modules.

Honestly, as long as you dont do some weird Science area training, you'll rarely train levels in a skill that you'll never use.

Slobax
VeteranX
Old
13 - 12-28-2008, 11:45
word

People just make the game sound so damn "there is a right way to play/spec, and then there is all the other wrong ways" that I feel like I have to put every point in the right skills at the right time or I'll be breaking my dude.

Brontez
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
14 - 12-28-2008, 18:18
Here's a simple way to break it down.

As far as your characters race, most people go Caldari because of the high Perception attribute, which makes training ship chassis faster. The ability to train ship chassis fast can mean a lot later on when you want to be able to fly multiple racial shiptypes.

As for what races ships you should start on? Ask yourself the following:

What other MMOs have you played and what class do is your favorite?

If you like Rogues, the kind that do steady DPS and go nose to nose beating up the enemy with few "magic" powers, go with Minmatar ships.

If you like Necromancer types, the kind that debuff and siphon the enemies energy to enhance their own, go with Ammar ships.

If you like Wizards, not the strongest defensive abilities but MASSIVE first strike damage, go with missile spewing Caldari.

If you like pet using classes like Mages or Enchanters, go with Galente ships for their oversized drone bays and blaster bonuses. You'll want to train drones no matter what race you choose, but Galente get the best drone bays and bonuses.

If you like Rangers, go with Caldari railgun ships for their outstanding sniper range.

If you like Warriors, the kind that tank all day long, it's a toss up between Ammar and Caldari. Ammar can tank more dmg typically and they're easy tanks to master since you only have a couple of skills to worry about. If you go Caldari and train up all the necessary shield skills, Caldari shield tanks are some of the best, and the Passive Caldari Battlecruiser tanks are THE best for tanking prolonged DPS in PvP.

Vlasic
VeteranXX
Old
15 - 12-28-2008, 23:06
A couple of skills to worry about for armor tanking?

Such as Mechanic, hull upgrades, repair systems, the 4 armor compensation skills?

It's the same amount of skills.

Brontez
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
16 - 12-29-2008, 08:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasic View Post
A couple of skills to worry about for armor tanking?

Such as Mechanic, hull upgrades, repair systems, the 4 armor compensation skills?

It's the same amount of skills.

Shield Tanking (9 skills, 11 if you include the necessary armor related skills)

Shield Operation
Shield Compensation
Shield Management
Shield Upgrades
Tactical Shield Manipulation
plus the 4 resist skills

vs. Armor Tanking (7 skills)

Mechanic (which you'll need if you're a shield tanker anyways for tech 1 overdrives, damage control, etc.)
Hulls Upgrades (which you need for tech 2 overdrives, damage control etc.)
Repair Systems (which you'll probably want to train even as a shield tanker to reduce repair costs on your ratting/mission battleships)
and the 4 resist skills

It's much faster to train an armor tanking Ammar than a heavily shield dependant Caldari, and many Caldari players don't fully train their shield skills which is why Caldari are mistakenly viewed as defensively weak in PvP. A fully skilled shield tanker can absorb tremendous amounts of damage, but it takes much longer to train all the necessary skills.

There is a bit of balance to the training though, because Caldari are very missile heavy, and larger missiles don't require high skill in the previous missile size. Ammar require lots of laser/energy emmission skills which have to be trained in order, which takes much longer than the equivalent missile training time.

haniblecter
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 12-29-2008, 11:55
The variety is stunning. Run missions, have fun trying everything. Screw around alone in PVP @ low sec and realize how dangerous the world is. Then come back here for some pvp fits.

Vlasic
VeteranXX
Old
18 - 12-29-2008, 13:02
Those 2 extra skills are, what, 30 extra days if you go all 5?

It's not "much" faster in the greater scheme of things.

Phalanx
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
19 - 12-29-2008, 14:58
you also have to consider that caldari are homofags

Brontez
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
20 - 12-29-2008, 17:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
you also have to consider that caldari are homofags

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Eve Online
Reload this Page What to skill up first?

Social Website Bullshit