Holy Priests: Chakra, and the best way to use it

Calamari

Veteran XV
So I haven't played my holy priest since Naxx was the hardest thing WotLK had to offer. I logged him today, dusted him off, got him specced and healed my way through reg BRC. Honestly, there were only one or two "oh-shit" moments. Mostly it was a lot of PoM and renews. But, I was trying to get a feel for Chakra, and how best to utilize it.

So, that being said, what's the best way to do just that? What chakra states should I be using for what situations? Or, should I just say "fuck it" and respec to disc?

I just use Heal chakra in 5 mans. Free renew on the tank, and the instant heal. Plus you don't really have the mana/need the healing from AoE chakra.

If people are taking a lot of AoE damage, use Sanctuary for CoH CD reduction. If they are grouped up and not moving when there's a lot of AoE damage, put down Holy Word.

Otherwise, it's mostly Serenity. Keep renew refreshed. Use Holy Word for instant heal+crit buff and do 2x flash heal+greater heal (serendipity) on tank for super burst damage. When your gear is shitty, heal will seem worthless, so you'll have to stretch your mana pretty thin in the beginning.

Renew isn't that great with shitty gear and it costs a lot of mana atm, but that's changing in upcoming patch.

The hardest part about healing is dependent on the group's familiarity with the fight mechanics and not so much your ability. So keep that in mind after the many wipes and e-rage coming your way.

Wish I had more experience in raids other than wiping on ez mode content. One day...

Last edited:
Oh, and in 5 mans, if someone stands in fire I just let them die.

I don't heal DPS until they stop taking damage. (Barring unavoidable stuff of course) If you can stand in fire long enough to reduce your HP to zero then enjoy your repairs.

I don't heal DPS until they stop taking damage. (Barring unavoidable stuff of course) If you can stand in fire long enough to reduce your HP to zero then enjoy your repairs.

Oh for sure. That's always been my standard policy. I only started topping people off in WotLK because otherwise I didn't have anything to do.

the only problem with letting people die is losing dps makes it that much more difficult when dps is probably low and everyones in shitty gear. or else, i wouldve let many people die and time spent wouldve been a lot more

instead, i try to be pro and life grip them out of the fire. the really bad ones die anyway, but at least i saved em once.

for me, theres only been 2 times where people were so bad that we couldnt complete the encounter (and it was actually doable but failing to avoidable mechanics)

1 of those times was a guild 10 man

so i think kicking anyones a bit of a stretch, and thats coming from the person with the shittiest job

Last edited:

My policy as well when I heal. Couple of times had healers healing through DPS being stupid and their only response is "I'm a leet healer I don't let anyone die." Yeah well you can stop being an enabler because DPS complain, piss, moan, cry enough as is and they still can't do things properly like CC or get out of shit.

i like how the people with healing alts are out to teach everyone a lesson

if you wipe enough from bad players, the last thing you want to do is let someone die when you could easily save them. they are most likely new too...

gay

if you wipe enough from bad players, the last thing you want to do is let someone die when you could easily save them. they are most likely new too...

gay

My priest was my main from vanilla through WotLK. Obviously it's optimum if the whole group stays up, but healers don't have the mana to keep people who can't move out of stuff alive, at least at current gear levels. A life grip is a worthwhile save, but usually the people standing in shit are also doing the least amount of DPS.

We all have to learn the mechanics and what to watch out for, but we're still at the stage where tanks are asking "does everyone know this fight?" Most of my runs, at least one of us says "no." If someone is taking the time to explain a fight to me, and I still can't stay out of crap on the ground, I'm not going to be upset when a healer won't waste mana on me.

holy priest healing is ez in 5 mans now, I'd say on par with holy paladins, but any healing class is retarded easy if dps don't fuck up

:shrug:

letting anyone die is not going to make you finish the dungeon any quicker

beef, have you been raiding 25s? any sweet logs to show?

gay
The people that stand in fire are usually god-awful. You can beat most fights with 3 people as long as those 3 know how to play. I could make the run 5 minutes faster (which doesn't really matter anymore with how long things take compared to wrath), or I could let them die, pay for repairs, and hopefully cry about it.

I'll take the free entertainment.

i guess i like to avoid looking like an asshole in general and give people the benefit of the doubt. i like to save people, its one of the most gratifying parts of healing for me. the whole attitude of "you didnt move, you arent good at this game and you arent worth my heals" is pretty reprehensible to me.

i'd let someone who runs there mouth off die before someone who has a difficult time with the fight. hell, i even try to get the assholes killed with life grip to no avail. something sweet will happen one day.

i guess i like to avoid looking like an asshole in general and give people the benefit of the doubt. i like to save people, its one of the most gratifying parts of healing for me. the whole attitude of "you didnt move, you arent good at this game and you arent worth my heals" is pretty reprehensible to me.

i'd let someone who runs there mouth off die before someone who has a difficult time with the fight. hell, i even try to get the assholes (zeph) killed with life grip to no avail (constantly happening in our 5 mans). something sweet will happen one day.

Fixed.

Also, Todd should probably play Alliance with that attitude.

Back