Required mods for Cata

Calamari

Veteran XV
So it's been almost a year since I played last. My download for Cata is going now, and I have not kept up at ALL with WoW in that time. So, what do I need to get?

I used to run a pretty minimalist UI, and some of the mods I remember having are:

Cartographer
ArkInventory
Auctioneer
QuestMonkey
Some kind of item database that kept item stats whenever I saw one/inspected someone
Prat (or some other chatbox mod)
Bartender (or some other bar mod)
IceHUD
Spell Timers
Elk Buff Bars

So. With all the fancy changes being made in 4.0, what should I get? What are all you crazy folks using?

Cartographer is dead IIRC, Mapster, HandyNotes, and GatherMate are the lighter weight alternatives.

ArkInventory works well, it's my bag mod of choice.

Auctioneer is still around, there are some alternative mods for those who don't need the full suite that are actually competitive now. Auctionator, AuctionMaster, etc.

Unsure of QuestMonkey, I use QuestProgressSound with the native quest stuff now, it sounds for your or party member progress.

I didnt' have the need, and was never a Gearscore fan, so you're on your own with that.

Prat is updated, but depending on what your requirements are there are several addons that tweak the already improved in game chat. I use wChat personally.

Bartender4, IceHud both work fine and are up to date.

For spelltimers I'd use NeedToKnow, or Classtimers. NeedToKnow is slightly more powerful, but you may need to manually add items to your spell lists. ClassTimers has most you'll need out of the box.

Castbars is still usually Quartz or AzCastbar depending on your needs.

Unitframes are still OUF, Pitbull4, or SUF for customization. I prefer OUF since I don't mind the LUA side of things.

Most (but not all) buff mods have issues with right-click canceling buffs, so be sure to read through the FAQ or comments on your mod of choice to see if it's the case.

My addon folder consists of ACP, ArkInventory, AtlasLoot, Bartender, Bazooka, Classtimer, Clique, DXE, evlCombatText, Loggerhead, Mapster, HandyNotes, GatherMate, OUF Caellian (modded), Omen, OmniCC, Opie, QuestProgressSound, Recount, SellJunk, TeksLoot, TidyPlates (Neon/Threat), TipTac, wChat, wMap. ACP is used to filter sets between characters/roles. Your mileage may vary.

I didn't care for GearScore either, I was talking about LootLink I think. And thanks for the list, I'll take a look at them. Is Gatherer still operable?

Also, is Curse still shady, or is it safe to use the client with an authenticator?

I've been using Curse for a long time, do not have an authenticator, and have never had an issue.

A guy I work with who is not retarded about passwords and such has an authenticator and still got hacked. I don't have much faith in it.

Mapster
ArkInventory
Auctioneer or APM, or both, they don't really conflict.
Examiner
Prat
Bartender
ForteXorcist
Satrina Buff Frames

I use a lot of addons, but when I go to turn shit off, those are the ones that stay on.

mine:

bartender
arkinventory
vuhdo
quartz
skada
dbm
SexyCooldown - this thing does not get enough love. it's spell timers presented on a "timeline." super consolidated and useful. SexyCooldown - Addons - Curse

i was liking carbonite but sometimes it was just too crazy

Last edited:
Mine:

CTMod (bar mod, mail mod, unit frames, map mod etc)
SexyMap
Parrot
Phayne's Presence Tracker
Gearscore
Poweraura (although they seem mostly taken over by Blizzard's version and I'm too lazy to update it)

I know there are a few more but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Blizzard is doing a *decent* job killing/replacing a lot though.

All I need is:

Bartender
Omen
Prat (not needed, but improves chat functions)
XPerl (because I'm too lazy to install and configure other unit frames)
Quartz (with custom mindflay bar for latency)
Grid

Good, but can live without:
Fortexorcist (I more or less ignore the bars nowadays)
Elk's buff bars (I MUCH preferred Buffalo, but it broke with 4.0.1 patch)

The only mods I consider required are:

Omen
Deadly Boss Mods (I heard Deus Vox Encounters is good as well, haven't used it much)

I'm an addon whore though so my full list is:

!BugGrabber + BugSack
!ComboWatch
Addon Control Panel
Atlas
Atlasloot Enhanced
Auctioneer
Autobar
Bagnon
Bartender4
BuffWatcher
Class Combo Points
Clique
Deadly Boss Mods
Decursive
EquipCompare
ErrorFilter
GatherMate2
GatherMate2_Data
GearScore
Grid
GridIndicatorCornerText
GrindManaBars
GridSideIndicators
GridStatusHots
Mapster
MoveAnything
Omen
OmniCC
Outfitter
Pitbull4
Postal
Power Auras Classic
Prat 3.0
Quartz
RatingBuster
Recount
SatrinaBuffFrame (currently disabled due to right click buff clearing bug)
SexyMap
TidyPlates + Threat Plates
TipTac
Titan Panel + lots of plugins
Vendor Automate
WIM

Class Specific:
Pally - RRH, PallyPower
Mage - Mage Nuggets, CombustionHelper
Shaman - Elementarist, ShieldsUp, Yata
DK - Magic Runes

Back