Why I'm not playing T2

BF_Blitzkrieg said:
What?

Am I missing something here?

Since when was capping all that hard?

When did they say that?!

It was. Damn that whole "teamwork" thing, huh?

Shut up. You're speaking out loud again.

I was thinking about the whole community aspect and I have to say there is one thing I wish they would do with the chat that will help get the community feel back. (or at least help) Give us the ability to tile the chat windows. Yeah the mirc dll that is supposed to be comming will fix that but I would hate to loose the usage of the other community features. The browser and in-game email are very good additions. But it is a pain to chat in more than one room at a time. I think this keeps the tribes separated more and that hurts the community in my opinion. Also fix the channel list half the time our public channel doesnt show up in the list eventhough there are 10 or 15 peeps in there.

Void|deadjawa said:
I agree that its sad that all these people are quitting. However all this shit about "There are no heros" and "The defense is less skilled" is crap. It still takes a lot of skill, if not more, to do a lot of things in T2. The MA sniper uber LD is still around. There are still a lot of heroes. I think the only reason some of these people are quitting is because they want to be the best right away. They cant handle not being the best any more (and having everyone worship them). Natural is a prime example of that. Everyone worshipped him in T1, and i really dont think he can handle not having that any more in T2.

Hmph.

All I know is when I pick up my Prophet III today and go home and install it, load up T2, and put on my shield pack, everyone is going to hate tribes. So enjoy it while you can.

:stab: die.

Riddil said:
I hear ya Nat. While I don't have quite the same level of animosity toward T2 that you have, but many of your points I agree with. I feel not so much that T2 is a bad game, as opposed to T2 simply is not a SEQUAL to Tribes1... it's a whole other beast. Many people love and support T2, but unfortunately many of the people who found T1 great don't find T2 great. The game was designed for a different breed. Sad day indeed for the original heroes who first founded the base of what the T1 community was built on.

Rid

5214.jpg

Awww, look at em, how sweeeeet.

I'm not playing T2 because I'm at work, and I'd get fired if they caught me.

Seriously though, I'm all for teamplay, but the teamwork is starting to wear me down. Why was this emphasis on teamwork only placed on the offense? Seems like a "cowboy" defender can just have a hell of a time on most maps. Deploy an Inv on a flag, max out your turrets, drop a few mines about and go HOF with missle launcher. Sounds like cowboy D to me.

Yankee, have the *Templars* do that against z2 when we play our match this week.

Edit: I dont know what you all are bitching about ^_^

Last edited:
Darkpoint said:
It takes about as long to get from 1 base to another on riverdance as rollercoaster.

Thats retarded. Roller is 800 meters flag to flag. River is 1003 meters. Are you saying that you can ski faster in T2 (over water) so much so that you can make up the 200 meter difference? Uhm, no. Everyone knows for the most part that T2 bases are much larger distances than T1 bases. Plus you can ski in T1, where it feels like you're skiing with an anchor in T2.

I actually looked at T2 the opposite. I looked at it originally as a different game, but came to find out in my opinion it was still very similar to the original. Obviously, the differences have been well documented on here, so I won't get into them, but I guess after playing T1 for so long, I've burned out of the basic ideas surrounding Tribes. And in the end, to me, after ~ 40-50 hours of gameplay, it's just more of the same.

Dislikes:
Graphics- Yes, I know it's graphically "better" than T1, but I feel the terrain (and texturemaps therein) have actually regressed. Even with the sliders "maxxed", they look mushy and just not 'clean'. Combine that with a much harder ability to see anyone (geforce2 ultra btw) because they are lost in the clutter, and I have come away a bit disappointed. While the jet-trails and weapon explosions are nice, I just found myself thinking back to the terrain textures of T1.

Weapons/damage- I feel the mortar's splash damage is too small, especially consider the moderate movement hit and ease of kill against a heavy, particularly on no-vehicle maps. I also (as a personal preference) don't like the muzzle velocity of the mortar (and it's inherint bounciness at the end) and the grenade launcher

Map/Base designs- Sometimes while going through a larger base, I wonder what they were thinking! I understand originally they intended to create more entry points to require a more team-oriented defense of the generators, but some of these bases are ridiculous. The maps, while generally "more severe" in terms of *some* of the mountains, actually feel less so when you actually look at it. Then there's the "1 vehicle pad" for all maps (at least that I've seen) and a base that's 1400m away. Nat said it right in this respect, you can spend more time travelling than doing anything ;) (or waiting at a vehicle station for larger games).

Medium suits- I like them for shield attack offense, but they are still movement limited and don't offer *that* much of a difference from their T1 predecessors (that I remember reading about anyway).

Overall feel- I think the latest patch has helped the "sluggish" feel of the game, so I'll probably play it a bit more, but things just don't 'feel' crisp.. I still think it's solely tied in with what I consider to be inferior sound code, but I'm not sure yet (it's not my system fwiw, 1ghz tbird, 512MB ram, gef2ultra)..

Likes- More of a team effort required to achieve goals.. while this still sucks for pubs, I can see it as a GOOD thing

vehicles- The bomber, transport, shrike, jericho are all worthy additions and useful (especially shield pack mediums in a shrike :)). I'd like to see more vehicle stations however.

Anyway, I'm sure my opinion is probably just jaded with a tiredness of this style (been playing ctf since quakenet / quakeworld days).. T1 brought a nice breath of fresh air to ctf, t2 unfortunately to me didn't raise the bar enough to keep my interest. There's a good game in here for people who'll enjoy it, but I guess I'm just over the hill ;) (btw, I do enjoy siege :))

cya online-
KI

Yeah, I've only been on this team two years, and the reputations of the two squads is so close, I can see where someone would get confused.

And wyrd, I should have been more clear, I was talking more about pubs than match play.

Good Luck to zX Tuesday!!!

I am starting to like T2 a little more than I had at first, but I still only find myself playing 2 to 3 hours a week, instead of 3-4 hours a day like in T1. I just can't wait until T2 dies down, so that we can get rid of all you annoying ass CS/Q1-Q3/UT/T1-Renegades people that do nothing for the T1 comunity. Flame me all you want, this board was made by mainly T1 Base players, but now we got these idiots that don't even know who IE/Synergy/BMF/Western Alliance/KZ/z2/even the mistake known as zX are. Maybe there should be a Tribalwar2 or something, so that these fools can leave. I am sick of these fucks comin in here, cutting down respected players, telling them "Tribes 2 is a different game, if you want Tribes1, play Tribes1" Well.. They should not have named it Tribe 2, if it was such a different game. Like it was said before, Tribes2 owes its existance to Tribes1, and to completely change it like they did, is assinine, and an insult to Original Tribes players. I plan to give it some time, I also plan to play some organized matches, but I don't see myself sticking around as long as I did in T1.

Yeah, gotta love how everyone that knows ^%$% about T1 is coming out of the woodwork trying to be the first to pull either the 'cowboy' or the 'try teamwork' card. T1 was a masterpiece that the developers pulled off more through luck than through design. The same thing was unlikely to happen twice and hasn't - T2 is fun, but isn't quite in the same league unfortunately :(

Everyone of you that say there are still heros in T2 well...DONT HAVE ANY FUCKIN CLUE AS TO WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Heroism is when a guy can outrun, outsmart and outplay the opponent. You got plenty of this in T1, and ESPECIALLY from a guy like Natural. Yea...Its a cowboy style of play...But dont you even fucking dare say that cowboy play is only about 1 man. Its about the team working in unison. O clearing the flag...destroying the LD...killing turrets...and paving a way for the grab...Then you are half way there. Now you have to look at the D...5 other guys keeping your flag home...or safely guarding it in the field...SO that when your "cowboy" capper comes home( because he basically ownd your whole fuccin defense) he can cap the flag.

You dont have this in T2...Instead you have a guy that is home turreting..a flare throwin fatty on a bommber..a bunch of guys doing a specific task that they HAVE to do in order to even touch the flag. Unlike T1 where you just had heavies flyin to the otherside, and utter chaos around the flag...Honestly...have you ever seen 7 green arrows...and 7 red arrows...dog-fighting around the flag in T2? NOPE! You do all the time in T1. Spare me.

I am so sick of you faggots trying to tell me that T1 was a non-team oriented game. That is a crock of bullshit. You never played an organized match against "GOOD" opponents..otherwise you wouldnt have that opinion. So please stop trying to brainwash the newbies that read these forums into thinking Tribes2 is a much better TEAM based game...and Tribes1 was all about 1 man. Bullshit.

You all should take a second and think about who you are bad mouthin...This is [IE] Natural. Probably THE GREATEST capper of all time. You need to start treading more lightly...If this man has formed an opinion on T2...whether it be after 8 hrs or 8 fuccin weeks...I am gonna listen because he knows his shit more than any of you assholes. You can say its a different game...which it obviously is, but when I first loaded up the game...I realized that so much T1 skill automatically transfers over...so basically...I could play the game and pretty much tell you how it was gonna be played competitively. And if I can do it...You better believe [IE] Natural can do it 10 x better.

SO before you fucking Dynamix dick sucking faggots come at and say waaahhh...this is a new game..waaahhh...dont play it if you dont like it. Realize this. Natural does not need your blessing to not play T2. If he's not gonna play it..he's not gonna play it. And he definitely does not need you faggots coming in here telling him he is wrong about the game because YOU think he is wrong. I do remember the topic being...Why <B><I>I'm </B></I>not playing T2. Not...why YOU ALL shouldnt play T2..So do yourself a favor..and tread lightly cuz this is Tribes history making a statement...and you need to respect that...

Oh..and another thing...I wouldnt be so upset at this sequel if it in fact wasnt a sequel. I mean if they called it something entirely different..then maybe I wouldnt feel so insulted by the product. But in reality..this IS the sequel to the best game ever made...and I have to live knowing that this sequel is a mockery of the game I loved and played for 2 1/2 yrs...Flame on faggots...I really dont care and kinda like it. VAV!

Back