Game Server Rentals

Have you ever rented/leased a game server?

• I rent on a per event basis

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
nullper did rent a server for NOVA from recon gamer for a few months. It was pretty good from what I remember.

We also had the Wayside when we had to get a server quickly.

Back in the Tribes days Bridude and I hosted a server from the office for both NOVA and |Oi|.

I would be willing to rent a server for T:V if the price and connection was good.

Heaven and Hell are hosted at my workplace. All parts are either donations or paid for out of my pocket. Bandwidth is free, as the company is always under the monthly limit, and thus would be paying for the bandwidth anyway.

I am fully planning to put up a Neo-Heaven server for T:V, btw. I held off on putting one up for T2 due to limited space and community demand that I not take down either of my T1 servers :)

I don't pimp out my hardware for cash, but I host and have hosted dozens of servers over the past 4 years for Tribes/Tribes2 and several other games... need to make an option on the poll for "other"

ASK-CandyMan said:
I don't pimp out my hardware for cash, but I host and have hosted dozens of servers over the past 4 years for Tribes/Tribes2 and several other games... need to make an option on the poll for "other"

He also keeps sending me all these computer parts because his closet is full or something.

True, true.

And I'm still bringing you another box to UVA. Just trying to decide on the single proc or dual proc to tote up there for services :eek:
Guess it'll depend on what the specs are for T:V and server demand

hell, i might bring em both.

Thrax

Kentucky Rogues pays on a monthly basis for our competition server Kentucky Backwoods Classic 2.

The now popular Kentucky Backwoods Classic server is hosted by our boss at work (maybe im wrong on that one).

One thing, managing a server is easy if you have the knowledge and the tools. But with tribes1&2 there werent that many documents and websites indicating the know-how.

Can you please release a very extended documentation on how to set up servers and the editing of the config files needed for it?.

And if i may ask, Could it be possible to change MODs remotely? instead of having to shut down the server (hence asking the server provider for a support ticket) and start it from another shortcut or command line, that is a bit annoying and sometimes tribes play on various ladders with different rulesets.

Regards
BinderAJ
[KY]Kentucy Rogues

ASK-CandyMan said:
True, true.

And I'm still bringing you another box to UVA. Just trying to decide on the single proc or dual proc to tote up there for services :eek:
Guess it'll depend on what the specs are for T:V and server demand

hell, i might bring em both.

Keep in mind that I have limited space. I can only really fit two towers on the shelves I have allotted for me. Now if people would give me nice thin rack-mounted servers, I could put up a whole bunch of stuff ;)

Well my single proc server is an FIC Sabre, about as big as 2 laptops on top of one another. The dual proc is in a mid tower case, 19" tall so it can lay flat and other stuff can go on top of it.\

I have 2 full racks at my ISP so room has never been an issue, but I like the smaller systems because I swap them out so often

When I was leading tribes, finding a good server was always one of the hardest things to do.

I rented a server for several months from ReconGamer at one point. They had good services, good pings to the servers, but the servers were too overloaded and ended up being really slow if you filled them up.

Not sure if a good and affordable game server rental deal ever was found.

ASK-CandyMan said:
Well my single proc server is an FIC Sabre, about as big as 2 laptops on top of one another. The dual proc is in a mid tower case, 19" tall so it can lay flat and other stuff can go on top of it.\

I have 2 full racks at my ISP so room has never been an issue, but I like the smaller systems because I swap them out so often

Heh. The colocation center is maybe 10 minutes from the LAN site. I could drag you up there and show you what I mean. My space is limited.

I don't think I could fit more than two towers in there, even laying them on their sides. I can try it, though ;)

I figure the server requirements for T:V are gonna be somewhat steep, so I'm just holding off until I know more before allocating a new machine for server use.

Cool.

Specs on the mini machine are
P3 1ghz, 512mb ram, 20gb hdd, 100mb intel nic, 2nd addin 100mb intel nic, dual video (1 redirected to com)

Dual proc
Dual p3-550/512k, 1gb ram, 3x30gb and 5x18gb raid5 w/hardware controller, dual intel 100mb nic redirected com and onboard video.

I also have a dual AMD MP2200 machine that might be available for use if I don't sell it beforehand.

Sir Lucius said:
You're gonna call it neo-heaven?

I suppose Purgatory or Limbo would have been more fitting of a Tribes2 base server ;o

Well I'm not gonna put up a T2 server. I'll decide upon a name when T:V comes out ;)

:lol:

The day I posted those messages about having limited space, I was talking to my boss about this thread and he said "Oh, you can put more in there if you want." :eek:

Granted it was a different boss who told me I could only use one shelf, but ok ;)

$1200+ (6months) for a 40man classic server (necrobones (S|B) T2) from fragism. Then another 600 for 3 more months and it's going down in a few days since my tribe retired from ladder. Clan Founder paid the majority of it and there are also a few people who gave a good chunk. The only server I have now is paid via advertisement.

Back