Game Server Rentals

Have you ever rented/leased a game server?

• I rent on a per event basis

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Void used to, we had a paypal account set up for it to donate. MX just bummed it off other people. But getting a decent server was one of the hardest things to do as a Tribe leader (especially because most tribes lack the funds to get one going). I hope you guys at Sierra have something planned to make it easy for us :D. Itll make more competitive Tribes pop up.

EDIT: We used Recon Gamer as well.

Last edited:
I don't rent any, but we have a guy who works for an ISP in my clan. We all pitched in to buy the server itself, and he then put it up at his work :)

I'd probably be interested in renting servers if i got into serious gaming again...

We used to pay for a GamingHost server, 32 man public. It was excellent. Good pings, good stability, good service when we needed an update, etc.

When the guy paying for it went and got married and needed to drop the monthly cost in prep for the wedding, GH was generous enough to donate the server.

There wasn't any response to cover our unique situation, so I chose "renting it on a monthly basis." Change my vote to "will rent in the future" if you think it makes more sense.

If you guys are, in fact, setting up a pool of servers that could be rented, I think my tribe would be on it pretty quick. We used to have a server of our own (we paypal'ed for parts, as above), but when the fellow hosting it lost his job, it went with him.

Now we're kinda bouncing around between our sister tribes' servers, and I think we'd jump on the chance to rent one if it was fairly priced.

One suggestion: Allow people to pay rent in two/three/six month blocks if they so choose.

It'd also be interesting to know what kind of policy rented server from sierra would have.

Could you run custom mods on them?
Could you swear on them?
Could you be a nazi admin?

I know people paying would be the customer, but you have to imagaine sierra might try to hold themselves to higher standards.

I stopped paying for our T2 server when funds ran low due to getting married (as Rev's post states), and since our server is/was the most popular pub server in T2 Gaminghost.com picked up the tab and sponsored us for free.

We also had another west coast server for free due to a teammate doing alot of website work for the owner of the gameserver rental company.

My tribe often thought about collecting money to pay for a server, but we're all in college and can't afford it. So.. Renting is great though, if the pings are good.
Fling :D

{SKILZ} rented servers from xGamer, we had three before we closed down. One east, one west, one central. We used central for prac and east/west for matches/pubbing. Pings rocked and service was great. Hosting our own servers was never practical and we all had money so renting was optimal.

lets see tribes 2 history

Entropy rented a Tribes 2 server

then I wanted a better one.. and ended up renting servers for $80 a month for about a year..

I closed down

gladiatorarenas.net hosts my servers..

gladiatorarenas.net made a partnership with xgamer.net

where they now host so many servers that I am lost..

anyhow..

yeah I rented then I was teh one renting to people then.. I am just a freelancer.. what does this have to do with the topic?

people rent :)

that would be interesting if sierra were to offer server rentals....

I *hope* they realize it's near impossible to run one on a residential dsl/cable line.

I'll probably put one up for T:V off the T3 at work. Lots of time to order parts one at a time for "upgrades" and not get people suspicious.

Back