Tribe Family History

Okay, so after digging through the forum for the past hour - I have managed to recover this account for the 3rd or 4th time now. I seem to reemerge from the shadows every 3 years on average. Skip to the end if you don't care about what got me to here. We all have our own histories of tribes, would be interesting to read about others tbh.

Anyway, here it is for anyone who cares. Most of you probably won't, but I'm sure some of you will have some questions answered and may even find that you knew me in a different mod. It is probably a very unique tribal story. I guarantee I am one of very few players who managed to become a top player in more than 2 or 3 different mods.

First of all, I have been playing for the past few weeks again under the name vertig0 among other smurfs. That's who I will settle as, but we'll go into a little more detail here.

Many of you know Genpachi, at least by playing with/against him in the servers over the last decade. Genpachi is my father, who started playing this game in the Beta I believe - when I was like 8 years old.

Here is my timeline.

8 years old to... idk, 12-13? Somewhere around this time, I started playing tribes. My dad was in competitive leagues, and he even traveled to somewhere near Chicago and brought me with to some Lan "Hakenden" practice and live meeting. I got to play with all of the adults for fun in their practices. I was probably terrible, I was like 10.

Sometime after that I started playing Tribes Football. I used the name Prime_Time primarily, that is what everyone knew me as or PT for short. I fell in love with this mod, and I think it died sometime in my late teens. I probably became a top 5 player, if not one of the best to ever play that mod. I played it all the time throughout high school. Meanwhile, my brother whom most of you all know as Clown or Billy Mays was 7-11 during my Tribes Football days. He was playing tribes primarily on MX Builder. I played this with him on occasion, it was actually pretty fun.

Sometime during my TFB career, I also picked up Team Rabbit. Izod and Sharp took me under their wings and taught me everything I needed to know about that mod. I used the name Panama Jack. I played in a couple TR ladders during this time, and got to be quite good at this mod as well. I don't know about top 5, but I'd say I could hang with the best in matches, etc.

Throughout this time, I'd occasionally play Base/LT - but I would always smurf. I tried using Panama Jack to begin with, but people kept thinking I was a scripter. So, I basically had to wave goodbye to that name. I used a plethora of smurfs, I do not remember any of them from this period of time.

Sometime during late high school and into my first couple years of college, around the twilight of TFB - renspawnLT players would come into the tribes football forums and call us TFB players noobs and basically the trash of tribes. Basically, they joined football servers occasionally, didn't have a fucking clue as to what they were doing, get stomped, talk shit, and leave. Being a hormonal teenager at this time, I talked shit back to them on their forums and eventually decided to start playing their mod because I was dead set on beating them at their own game. Long story short, TFB died, I picked up renspawn rather quickly and started actually beating them at their own game. I primarily capped in that mod - self capping in pubs. I captained a couple renspawn ladders, played this mod till it died. Probably was a top 25 player overall, I'd say top 10 during my time of playing it if you don't count the people who quit tribes before I came along that were renspawn elites. I pretty much only used the name vertig0 in this mod or some variation.

Renspawn died sometime between 2010 and 2014. And since then, I have primarily been playing LT because that is pretty much all that is left. It was always the mod I never stuck with because I just liked TFB, TR, or renspawn better. I think I created this particular account for this forum in 2010, so I think that's when I picked up LT. Around that time, many of you were PUing nightly, and I tried to get good enough to get picked for PUs occasionally. I tried mastering Home D because it was always the position people didn't want to play, and most people COULDN'T play for shit, so I figured if I got good at it - I'd start getting picked more. Tried getting good at LO as well. Never really capped much, even though I capped all the time in renspawn. BaseLT capping is a completely different style of play than renspawn capping.

I picked up advice from many different people during this time to try and get better - Mainly Sleepy, ucl, stork, dare, swordfish (gave me a lot of good advice on home D when I was on his ladder team), and others I probably don't remember.

I left tribes for a couple years, came back sometime in 2013... I think this is when my brother started playing tribes more and getting better at it. He'd have been late high school at this time, so it makes sense. I played LT/TD for a couple months probably and ended up leaving again. I probably came back like once a year for a month or 2 at a time and left, always smurfing I think. My most recent smurfs and ones that I remember are Darkwing Duck, nanananabatman, Sir Panama, Pajama Sam, pishpash, QuickSteed... I don't know, too many to think of, and nobody would remember them anyway I'm sure.

My brother is a much bigger gamer than I am. He'll pick up a video game and get good at it overnight. I can't do that. lol He's made a name for himself as a pretty good capper in the past year or 2 that I've been gone.
Somehow, it is 2017 - tribes is still alive. I've been playing nightly for the past few weeks and having a lot of fun with you guys that are still playing!

I'd like to take this moment to apologize to anyone who I may have upset with my vertig0 persona over the past few weeks. I will try to tone it down a bit, and maybe even help some of the lesser skilled players get better. Would be awesome if tribes was still kicking into 2020 so that when I quit again for a year or 2, I'll be able to come back to the same shit.

I am sorry Gim, I only sometimes mean it when I call you downs. I'm sorry Texas, I won't get after you for hiding anymore - I'll just look harder. I'm sorry bugs, for ever being an asshole to you - you've gotten a lot better than the last time I played. I'm sorry 5555 (dare?), for whatever I did or said to you - you gave me some good pointers back in the day, and I am thankful for that. Also, thank you to anyone else who helped me get better in any mod I played! I'm sorry for anyone I have called a cheater in the past, because it is coming full circle now that I am actually pretty decent at LT - (I am not a cheater, my brother can assure you of that - he's tried using my outdated config) And I'm sorry to pretty much everyone else whom I may have called downs or trash over the past few weeks. Except for Chaka Cent. And Morgawr. I hate you both. Chaka, I don't have anything against actual downs people - but you might be the exception. And Morgawr, idk if you mute everyone or just blatantly ignore me. But I WILL continue to TK you on purpose on DX when you spam the flag.

Happy Tribing.

Any chance of enough of a revival one of these days to have another just for fun ladder?

-vert

Last edited:
Nice story. Your brother clown is on my list for rising stars to look out for in Midair(if he plays). Hyung could groom him to be dangerous(if he plays)

My bro will pick up any video game and get good at it in a fraction of the time it takes me. It took me like 10 years to get good at base/LT, prolly less than a year for him.

I still won't admit he's better than me though. But then again, we play different positions. I am better defensively, he's better offensively.

Last edited:
Heya dude!

I'll always remember that one ladder match that none of my team showed up for, so I picked the map DFBox to attempt a 1v3 or something like that, and then you joined and we 2v3'd. I don't even think you knew it was a ladder match, but I had picked you in the draft hahaha. Nobody could make it for that one for some reason.

I want to say we ended up winning that one too, but I can't remember for sure. I miss ren!

3 family members tribin? Must be some kind of record. Damn I must have been gone a long time if Clown is now an all star. What name is he using these days?

Oh yea! I can't keep up with all the name changes. We should have a dedicated smurf thread where people can keep us up to date on their smurf names. Unless of course they're trying to be anon.

Back