Hi everyone

o okay

well idk how other ppl feel but all the other tribe games sucked compared to t1 so most of us never played them and kept playing t1

girls which had some of the original princesses like glock, myst, skillz and sucky penny.

Skillz was never a princess.

Sucky Penny became a member much later around when I retired.

Glock and Myst were indeed original members.

The original 4 were Me, GLD, SiRoiS, and Chrisaveli...

Soon after the 4 of us started, I met an undiscovered talented dueler in a DX-Arena pub playing as "Jiggumz". I asked him to join my arena team and he did. He changed his name to Myst soon after that and brought his friend GlocK onto my arena team. Then we were set with 6 solid players that always showed up.

"Girls" was a tribute name to the princesses because I wouldn't let Glock and Myst use the same name.

i talked to skillz and kirk on the phone a few weeks ago those guys are hilarious

skillz stayed in touch with a lot of the -w- guys im sure he knows where everyone is

and i have flippers email addy somewhere if we really wanted to stalk him ;)

Skillz is a really awesome d00d. Captain Kirk was an incredible capper.

I really enjoyed playing with/against them back in the day.

If Skillz guy becomes a weed tycoon it would be so awesome! lol

giphy.gif

By asking that question, I'm forced to choose someone from my team, and if I had to single out any one player, it would be SiRoiS.

Most of the Tribes community was completely obsessed with tags, fame, and reputation. Much like Japanese people believe everything they see on TV, Tribes players would cream their shorts every time they saw an [IE] tag, or a 5150 tag, automatically believing they were the best at everything, which is a large part of the reason I chose such a humiliatingly flamboyant name for the princesses. It was a mockery of the status quo.

The only player whose dueling/aim/awareness skills really impressed me on either of those 2 teams were Lady Booty, and Realistik, and even then I'm not sure how they would have preformed in arena, which is a totally different realm of its own.

There were incredible 1 v 1 duelers that did horribly in a 4 v 4 environment, and the reverse was also true. Such is the case in SiRoiS. He was by no means a terrible 1 v 1 dueler, and in fact, he was quite strong, but when you put him into a 4 man brawl, the d00d's potency increased exponentially, which was exactly the kind of player I was always looking for.

Unlike players with those famous tags, SiRoiS was an unknown player that nobody knew, feared, or gave nearly enough credit to, much like all of the players on my team outside of Me and GlocK, who were quite famous at the time.

SiRoiS's ridiculous consistency is the main reason I am choosing him. Whenever I was having a "bad day" or an "off day," SiRoiS would be right there "not having one."

Against the toughest teams, he came up with strategic team moves that were essential the winning. Some of them were incredibly clever and insidious. They were effective to a degree of humor. I'm still laughing at some of the stuff we did that worked way too well.

During some of our matches, I would have an "off day" and go out early, thinking "oh shit, we're doomed," but then I watched SiRoiS pounding the ever loving shit out of everyone to the point of completely demoralizing them. Because I was dead in observer mode, I could read their demoralized chat and I was completely surprised. "Holy shit, we are getting our asses wooped." "..." "how in the fuck" were some of the quotes I read from the enemy team. Those were some of the most highly entertaining moments for me in arena.

In competition, in the darkest hour, against the toughest competitors SiRoiS was there proving himself time and time again. I lost count of how many times I saw SiRoiS take a 3 v 1 all by himself in official matches, and there is almost nothing better than that. The guy had "clutch" written all over him, and was some kind of unnatural force to be reckoned with.

He had some kind of magic that I never saw in anyone else. He was the most integral player of our team and the lifeblood that kept everything going. Most of my players were highly technical, but SiRoiS just had heart.

Every time I would be baffled as to how he did it. 3 v 1's are not easy at all.

There were a lot of incredibly masterful duelers on my team, but in terms of arena, it's got to go to SiRoiS.

Dueling in Tribes was very paper, rock, scissors. A lot of players today don't understand this concept at all. Just because you lose to somebody in a duel doesn't mean he is a better player than you. When you get to the highest tier, it was often about whose style was more effective against who.

PK vs GLD ----> victory for PK
GlocK vs PK ----> victory for GlocK
GLD vs GlocK ---> victory for GLD

And the circle goes round and round and round...

For this reason, I never recruited anyone that could beat me in a duel. Before joining my team, you had to duel against everyone on my team. It was often surprising to see the results, and there were many players that couldn't join because as it turned out, their dueling style was only effective against one of my players.

Tribes was the best game ever made.

My vote for best arena player in Tribes history goes to SiRoiS.

Interesting read. Thx for the recollection. If you surveyed most old schoolers, most would not single handily say a particular princess as one of the best. Collectively as a team, yes best arena team of all time, stats proved that. But when you use smurf names and those players are mainly ctfers who didn't pub very much in arena, outside of the pricess circle it's just too hard to pinpoint a specific princess as the best. I played with glock and myst in girls, dueled them both, great players.

For me it's kinda hard to say one particular player who was the best to me. As time went on things changed. People who were hpb are now lpb, people who were not considered very good at the height of arena were looked on as gods a few years later. The landscape always changed.

My opinion on someone I thought was a great arena player was [MMC]NAS. He was great at everything, sniping, shield. Great leader to. I miss him and that era....

if you have any other stories to share pk I'd be eager to read

Interesting read. Thx for the recollection. If you surveyed most old schoolers, most would not single handily say a particular princess as one of the best. Collectively as a team, yes best arena team of all time, stats proved that. But when you use smurf names and those players are mainly ctfers who didn't pub very much in arena, outside of the pricess circle it's just too hard to pinpoint a specific princess as the best. I played with glock and myst in girls, dueled them both, great players.

For me it's kinda hard to say one particular player who was the best to me. As time went on things changed. People who were hpb are now lpb, people who were not considered very good at the height of arena were looked on as gods a few years later. The landscape always changed.

My opinion on someone I thought was a great arena player was [MMC]NAS. He was great at everything, sniping, shield. Great leader to. I miss him and that era....

if you have any other stories to share pk I'd be eager to read

Most people getting shot by princesses didn't know who was who, so yes, I'm in a unique position to discuss these matters... I also knew basically everyone that played the game, CTF, Arena, and even a lot of EU players. It's tough to single out anyone on the princesses regardless. All of them were huge assets to the team. I'm singling out SiRoiS cus he had a slight edge in terms of overall team value, presenting his own strategies that helped us win, and providing massive clutch.

The rest of the princesses were soldiers, and very good ones at that. They always followed orders and played as a team, which was great. There was only one match in particular where I felt I was losing control and I needed help, and SiRoiS stepped up to the plate when I needed it most, so that's why I chose him.

Really, all of the princesses contributed equally, which is why it all worked so well. There was nobody on the team that couldn't pull their weight. So yeah, I don't think there really was any "best" arena player in the traditional sense that you asked, but when asked the question, I would single out SiRoiS for saving the day during the darkest hour.

If you wanted individual dueling wowz0r skills, I would choose GlocK. He is the only princess that would consistently wreck my face in duels.

The best 1v1 dueler that Tribes ever saw though, was Shallah easily.

MMC was the team to beat for a long time in Arena. They had been on top for so long.

Some of us even applied to join them, and got rejected. Another reason we decided to form our own team.

Same thing happened with FTM [Fuck The mainland]. I applied to join them and got rejected without so much as a tryout, and later Henry Lee raged so hard about it. It became an ongoing joke between the two of us. I loved that guy a lot.

For me, it doesn't matter at all who got good years later, because it was simply far too late. I sat on the ladder long enough to know that nobody was ever going to take my throne away if I stayed on it, so I got bored and moved on.

4 months after I retired, I tried playing again and all of the princesses that I used to be able to control were whooping the ever loving shit out of me. By the time UVA3 rolled around, I was already a complete joke from lack of practice, mojo, and whatever else.

It made me realize that you have to have a lot of passion, interest, and play-time to be on top. It was always something that I did naturally without thinking before, because I enjoyed the game that much, but afterwards, it just felt like work. I'll never be good at Tribes again, because my care factor is nil and someone would need to make a pretty incredible Tribes game for them to rekindle my interest again.

It used to be the most mind-numbingly incredible game ever. If only they had just made the same game with better graphics, new maps, and better features and tools. It would be have been so fucking sick...

But no, we had to have idiotic arrogant nerds that wanted to re-invent the wheel and foolishly create their own "superior" vision of what the game should have been... without skiing... and without all these "skillful players". We need remove skiing and add "homing missles" so that "my 5 year old niece can play and succeed."

It would be like somebody accidentally stumbling across the cure for cancer, and then throwing it away because it wasn't how they wanted it to be. "I'm going to make something better." Ridiculous.

Though it would have been entirely possible for them to succeed had they simply chosen to build off of the solid base that was already created for them, instead of butchering it.

I would love to have a face to face conversation with David G or Thrax Panda.

Tribes was basically the funnest activity I ever engaged in, and I loved the community, so it was really sad to see it go...

Good luck Project Z.

Also, I hope that someone does eventually make a killer Tribes game, so that all the players that came later and truly love Tribes can get all the credit they deserve.

Back