News: KP Talks Beta Changes

I got an idea. What about having unlimited grappler ammo when you dont have the flag? But as soon as you grab the flag you are limited to 20 shots with it?
How does that sound?

Last edited:
_roxycon said:
The grappler is a staple aspect of the game. Don't nerf it. There's no reason, it's a goddamn tool, not a weapon...
Can you give any reason why it shouldn't be tweaked besides "it's a damn tool"

It wouldn't be on the change list if the developers didn't see a problem with it and they seem to be a lot smarter than you.

im not in the beta, but the ammo part just doesnt make logical sense...

However ive watched jodo's videos and my opinion would be that if the grappler "snaps" or is shot at.. it should be broken and unusable.

This way.. it encourges skill on part of the user to not snap it, and it gives ppl chasing something to shoot at to stop the capper.

imho

I didn't read past the second line.

Increased knockback on heavies?
What the hell?
I hope I'm misunderstanding what this means :-|

Ceiling_Fan said:
:rolleyes:

OMG NO GRABBLER IS RUINED!!

Whatever. Most people won't get 20 shots off before they respawn anyway. Big freaking deal.
That's kind of where I stand too. If you're using more than 20, you're in a stand off and you should be required to touch the ground at least once (to regain ammo) in a 30 minute map.

exogen said:
Weren't people saying that too much of the game was already spent in the air, with not enough skiing?

Read the list. It says right at the top of the player physics section that ground control is being worked on.

Zio said:
I suggest this...

Make the grapple a tool. NOT A WEAPON!!!

I do not agree with this. Here's my reasoning: Currently the grappler has no ammo - with this patch it will/may change (hopefully they'll find another solution) With that said, if EVERYONE can get a grappler with no down side (as of right now the downside is you lose the chance to carry 3 weapons) than that will take away from the uniqueness of it. There should definatly be a penalty for wanting to use the grappler - and I think they found the right way in making it a weapon...

|baby|roach| said:
I got an idea. What about having unlimited grappler ammo when you dont have the flag? But as soon as you grab the flag you are limited to 20 shots with it?
How does that sound?

Last edited:
I think that'd eliminate the need to have Grappler ammo at all.

I don't have beta, but I think it'd be a good idea to try out the Grappler as an energy weapon. Maybe have it consume as much energy as a Blaster shot (I have no idea how much energy a Blaster shot takes). This would force the player to consider the value of Grapple mobility versus jet mobility.

As a reason for energy consumption, make the grappler wire be energy based and have a bright glow, so as to increase the visibility of the player.

Just wondering, but how easy is it to shoot the hook when it is attached to something (this breaks the line right)? And what is the penalty if the grappler line breaks?

Maybe the grappler should only need to ammo to reload when the line breaks? :shrug:

i really dont believe grappler ammo will change anything

i mean all a capper has to do now is conserve the ammo for the exit route, and with 20 it might as well be unlimited

i feel a reload time would work better
(i have not played this game)

Yogi said:
Can you give any reason why it shouldn't be tweaked besides "it's a damn tool"

It wouldn't be on the change list if the developers didn't see a problem with it and they seem to be a lot smarter than you.

Yes, let's turn this into a personal attack :roller:

As we all know, developers that want to appease a certain crowd are always right...

I'm not in the beta (I'll get it when its open) but this is how I feel the grappler should work...

You have the grappler, you shoot it and it attaches onto something, then when you release you have to wait for it to retract before you can shoot it again. But not have it take too long, cause then you can't swing well... Once its retracted again, you can fire again. If the line is cut, or snapped, then you have to reload a new head onto the line, like running out of ammo in the general FPS. This could also be done by a time penalty or something. If there is to be a limited number of grapples, it should be on the replaceable heads and not on the individual shots. So lets say a light gets 2 heads, a medium gets 3, and a heavy gets 4. Something along those lines.

Thats how I feel the grappler should work.

Edit - To expand on this, I also feel that the grappler should snap under a certain amount of stress. So if your going along, and you grapple something directly infront of you, and then you pass the object and you stop dead, the line should instead snap. And you'd have to put a new head on. This makes you look and be more careful as to where your grappling. Again I'm not in the beta so I don't know if the line as is will snap right now from stress.

Last edited:
-cyanide- said:
i really dont believe grappler ammo will change anything

i mean all a capper has to do now is conserve the ammo for the exit route, and with 20 it might as well be unlimited

i feel a reload time would work better
(i have not played this game)
It's not meant to hamper cappers. It is meant to stop stalemating with unlimited grappling around the map.

Skater said:
Do these points replenish when you do not use it? If so I could see that working.... but if they don't, then you're right back at the ammo situation... only this time you get 1k instead of 20 :)

Well, like I said I'm not in beta so I don't have a lot to base this on...but the concept is....to build some risk/penalty-in-over-use factor.
With the ammo concept is simply number of uses
With the strength points it's how and when it's used (and more "realistic" physics-wise IMO).

If you use it to do a high speed 180deg turn on an object....that would consume some points moreso than to do a 90deg turn for example.

IMHO the fear of running with the flag and knowing that you've got to use your grapple points wisely would be a greater thrill than only simply focusing on the chasers behind you (Grappler in this case should survive at least 2.5 disc hits...i.e. be very durrable to explosive damage but more susceptable to tensil sp? forces)

The points replenishing question....well....could be an easier-to-implement idea than strengthpoints. Possibly could drain or neutralize your E-pack when replenishing...IMO there should be more of a penalty for over use than simply waiting for the points to come back.

I think if we're given 3-5 grapplers (depending on durability and average survivorability time sp?) with a single loadout, the strenghpoint system would work. (again....I'm not in beta).

What the goal here is would be to not have this infinite-use-uber-locomotion tool that automatically takes a weapon slot for EVERYONE......an E-pack in T1 was used extensivly, but of course....it had the limitation of depleting power. It's use had to be managed.

The grappler is new to Tribers so of course calling for it's USE-SHOULD-BE-UNLIMITED is expected.....IMO, if use is going to be unlimited, make it a non-slot-taking standard issue tool like the e-pack and VERY VERY weak. (I don't suggest this but you get my point).

Back