Why I'm not playing T2

Futzy said:
...And now the $10,000 question. If Sierra announced Tribes 3 next month... how many of you would knock your grandmother down as you ran out the door to get it?

We all know the T1 elements that Nat speaks of. I think T2 <B>could</b> have been more accepted by the community if they hadn't left so much of T1 behind.

I think our friends at Coca Cola summed it up with their attempt at the new coke. We would like Tribes 2 <i>Classic</i>.

That's my $.02 worth.

Sierra has dissappointed me for damn near eight years now. I hope I never get stupid enough to anticipate anything they do ever again.

I've got nothing but respect for Natural. I know he's a skilled T1 player, and one of the old schoolers. That being said,,,

There's way too much I'm not playing T2 because "" going around.

If your reasoning for disliking the game is because it "feels different", well, yes, it is different.

By the same token, the "heroism" and "grace", that's got more to do with the player, and less to do with the game. Don't get me wrong, I somewhat agree with you on this point. There's a mass exodus from other games, and T2 is the current Ellis Island of the online gaming community. Sooner or later, the "land huggers" will get better, and adjust to our style of gameplay, or they'll go back to the games they came from.

As far as most of your other points, I'll keep my comments to myself, because I'm not posting for the sake of flaming your opinions.

Personally, yes, I'd like to see the scoring go back to the original way, and there are a number of tweaks I'd like to see. But I really can't complain about the game its self. To me, it's lightyears ahead of T1.

Bottom line, it's a new game, with new skill sets. If some of you guys want to continue playing T1, go for it. No one's stopping you. But all the vets that keep popping up and saying I'm not playing T2 because "" is really getting old, and it's getting right on the edge of becoming insulting.

This part is directed to the "I'm not playing T2" posters in general. Again, I'm realy trying not to make this a flame, but please, if you just plain don't want to play it, no problem, no one's holding it against you, but stop bringing it to the forums.

Thanks for the kind words, Natural. I know exactly how you feel.

Diamondback|ChT
Last of the Original T1 Designers (and look where that got me :) )

"8 hours is not enough time to experience the new game that is T2.

I've logged 80 times 8 hours (hyperbole) and I feel T2 is much more honest, complex, and ambitious game than T1. It is most certainly a different game, and if you were to say that you are not playing because it is a different game then I would appreciate that point of view. But you seem to be in attack mode based upon hearsay.

Let the game impose itself upon you instead of the other way around. Then decide. But, I can't believe that 8 hours of play has so turned you off. Probably the 80 times 8 hours of nay saying, more like."

Is this a book to appreciate, a fine wine to savor? That whole line of thinking is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Hate to say this, but Nat quit your bitching. T2 isn't a one man game anymore, you CAN'T be the hero because YOU need your teams help. wtf, are you too lazy to practice teamwork instead of routes? You played in pubs, WOW! not. pubs = crap. Perhaps you should try some teamplay, that's what this game is about. So what if the community features have bugs, atleast they are there. Then on top of that within a month or so those bugs will MORE than likely be fixed. You judged this game to quickly, I hope you don't judge everything in life as quickly, otherwise you've got a lot in store for you. Ever heard the quote "don't judge a book by it's cover" well take a hint.

I hate this. Natural was my Tribes hero, yet he posts assumptions based upon 8 hours of play on a new game. (And probably early after release)

Natural, play it a bit more, there things that are better than Tribes in it, and there are a few that are worse, but I hate to see you arrive at a conclusion after 8 hours of play.

Torment said:
we can't voice our displeasure? I thought forums were here for us to use our voice.

People have been voicing their dispeasure in 20 threads a day for the past month or so. There is a point where it gets old.

Rilk, like I said, I acknowledge I'm not fully exposed... but the people whom I speak with often ARE. I've been more involved with EQ/CS/School and have loaded up T2 a few times only to realize I have to force myself to enjoy it. That's not how I want to play a game regardless of how much of a learning curve it has. Like I mentioned, maybe someday I'll barge in a few matches and see what it's like. Unfortunately the RECORD DEMO feature doesn't seem to be working in T2 so I can't see what it's like without forcing myself to play =(

ive played for more than 8 hours and i still think its boring

maybe tribes 2 is like an ugly woman.. you just gotta keep drinking till she looks good!

one last thought. T1 is NOT what the designers had in mind when the game came out. SKIING IS A BUG!!!! The game is what you make of it.

Torment said:
we can't voice our displeasure? I thought forums were here for us to use our voice.

No offense, but this displeasure has been beaten past the point of death, and now it's more like continuing to bash a rotting corpse.

Simply put, it's all been said before.

And I'll keep saying it.

BTW, the designers of T1 knew about sking, which is why in the beginning of gameplay they were kicking everyone's asses ;)

Back