Best freeware programs?

Intruder said:
Damn right! Pretty much the best proggy that can fit on a single floppy. I use it at work heavily, it's a superb file manager, excellent ftp client (can be made ftp server with a small add-on). It can open just about any compressed file as if it were a directory. I remember it once opening corrupted zips and deleting files that Windows refused to.
It's also multi-renamer, but the ultra-fast file search and directory synchronization feature rocks. It never crashes, period. Here's my copy 'at work' :)
wincom.jpg

How do you register it? :)

Bitrot said:
Scanner -- Ever wondered where all that harddrive space goes? This incredible utility shows you how your HD usage breaks down, folder by folder and file by file...but the best part is the graphical representation. It's a multi-layered pie-graph...

...it's hard to describe, but since I found it a couple years ago I have loved this utility. DOWNLOAD IT. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

DO IT NOW FOOLS

totally.. I have the same story. Few years ago I needed something like it and found it and it is a permanent fixture on all my machines now.

POPFile - POP3 Proxy for bayesian mail classification. Might be a bit complicated to set up for some, but once you get it going, you can't stop using it. Although it's used mostly for spam, you can use it to classify just about any email. I just use it for spam filtering, and I get > 99% accuracy now.

XMPLAY is by far the best audio player I have ever used. It has limitless customization, and you can make your audio files sound absolutely AMAZING with the effects and settings it has. It plays everything from MP3's to Text Speech, to Chips. After using xmplay, then going back to winamp, music sounds DULL.

edit ph0r pic of default skin:

XMPlay_Main.gif

Last edited:
http://www.bandwidthcontroller.com/download.html
Not really freeware but it's so useful that I don't want to leave it out and there's nothing as good as it that I know of.
It's a bandwidth limiter that exists via kernel so it's completely invisible to the user unless you're changing settings. No icon in the taskbar or anything. You can limit individual network adaptors and even get specific as certain protocols as well as source and destination ports and IPs.

All in one IM programs (obvious, but whateva):

Trillian: Trillian has been used by many for awhile. Support for the ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and IRC. Skins are available for download. The upcoming 2.0 version will support more protocols and the SDK will allow for more protocols to be added by users.

Miranda: I am just installing this one to try it out. Looks very extensible as well as customizable. Everything is in modules so need only install what's needed.

SuperTrap said:
MailWasher Defiantly a good one. Use to bounce unwanted emails and to check your email from the server instead of downloading to your computer.

I just downloaded Mailwasher PRO and :bigthumb:
This program is a must.

Didn't see it but Wizmo is pretty good. Lets you start up your screensaver with button click, shut down pc or reboot it even if stuff is hung it will force a shutdown.

I use this at work Angry IP Scanner it will scan a subnet and then resolve the name. After done it will export to a text file and also let you telnet on the fly by opening a telnet session to the IP with Hyperterm.

Getright - similar to DAP, allows several multiple connections, caching URLs, resumable downloads (this was your best friend in the dial up days) etc Still use this for downloading Tribes movies, that way I can get them fast and save the url for later

Xnews - my personal favorite newsgroup reader. It's very small, and simple, not as customizable as Newsbin or some other fluffed up readers but just lite weight like Grabit, its also freeware so yay.

Zoom Player - similar to BSplayer in functuality of movie types, also plays DVDs, SVCDS, VCDS, etc can directly open bin files too so no need to burn them or emulate with Daemon

TransText - Not sure if this would be handy on XP but for 98 and 2k, easily make desktop icons have transparent text, good for easy compatibility on any wallpaper, small, doesnt take up a ton of resources either.

Matrix Screen Saver - yes there are hundreds of these but Chaossofts (also makers of TransText) have the BEST one. It has a ton of customizable options, resolution size, how fast the matrix code scrolls, random quotes from the movies coming up in the middle of the code (like the System Failure msg in the first Matrix) etc etc

Smart Par - similar to FSraid, this one is more gui based, checks each rar of a series, including the pars, fixes broken ones, warns of corrupt ones etc very good, also free

videolan client (vlc) www.videolan.org is a pritty good media player... but i can't get it to play on my second monitor so its not as great as it was.

my question for you guys is do you know how these media players you spoke of handle dual monitor? cuz i can't stand not being able to watch movies on the second one.

FileRecovery completely saved my azz when I lost a 40gb partition.
Out of the 7-10 deep-scan recovery programs, this is the only one that recovered everything I wanted.
I'd recommend it to anyone, as whenever you accidently delete a file, it's almost always recoverable with FileRecovery as long as you don't overwrite it.

StartupCPL is a Control Panel applet, that lets you control anything in your startup (Including Registry).

RegXplor adds a "Registry" namespace to Windows, and gives you control over the registry as if it were just another Windows folder.
The guy who coded it is apparently really good w/ Assembly, and it actually attaches itself to your Explorer, it's definately a recommended download.

rAdmin is a really good alternative to VNC. Instead of taking snapshots, it actually hooks the Windows API's and gives complete control without a slow-down like VNC (I think). Unfortunately it's Shareware (but it's worth the time spent searching for a crack).

nPOP is a Tiny 83kb Email client for POP3/SMTP. I don't know if it supports recieving attachments (I haven't found how the heck to open them, it definately supports sending them), but it's really good if you mainly just use email for regular crap.

NFO Viewer is a really good NFO viewer, which is much easier to read/open than trying to read NFO's in Notepad.

DevC++: Nearly all developers would've heard of it, but if you haven't, it's a really good Freeware C/C++ Editor/Compiler.

TClock 2 is a Start Button/Taskbar skinner, which has some really cool options and a small footprint.

XVI32 is a fast/easy to use Hex Editor, and with this Registry key I made, it's far easier to HexEdit something.
Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\HexEdit]
@="&HexEdit"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\HexEdit\command]
@="E:\\xvi32\\XVI32.exe \"%1\""

Back