[Official] NHL free agency

yah there are a few guys that need to be locked up...but the pens have a lot of room plus they will be able to spend to the cap when the new arena opens in a couple years. they have been operating on a budget for a long time.

rumor is that staal isnt signing an extension this year because he had a bad year this year and wouldnt command a whole lot of money.

edit: NJ just locked up salvador 4 yr/11.6 mil
Fuck the Pens..:wave:

J/K:jester:

red wings are gonna have a bit of a cap issue after this next year....zetterberg is only makin 3 mil and franzen less than 1 mil. they will both be commanding huge raises.

edit: wonder how many games the wings will sell out next year....over/under set at 10

red wings are gonna have a bit of a cap issue after this next year....zetterberg is only makin 3 mil and franzen less than 1 mil. they will both be commanding huge raises.

edit: wonder how many games the wings will sell out next year....over/under set at 10

That depends if we can get out the the fucking economic slump. More layoffs coming, 8%+ unemployment...sigh.

Wings have about 9 mil or so to play with right now, if anything they could rent a good free agent for the year(Sundin?), the sign Zetts for sure, and hopefully the Mule. They are grooming Zetts for the next captain. He will stay. Franzen has to play like he did at the end of the year to get alot more. He needs to keep it up. Plus there is the possible cap raise next year as well. Stuart is more than Likely gone, but I think the younger guys are ready. They may need to pick up a good defender.

yah...because the lions sell out even tho those tickets cost even more for a shittier team...give me a break. economic slump seems to only hurt hockey :rolleyes:

edit: the wings are the best team in detroit and the fans around here only come out to support them during the playoffs. television ratings are even down for the wings. i try to watch as much hockey as possible and usually its by watching FSN detroit and all i see are empty seats every game. the franchise needs to lower ticket prices instead of constantly increasing them.

Last edited:
yah...because the lions sell out even tho those tickets cost even more for a shittier team...give me a break. economic slump seems to only hurt hockey :rolleyes:

edit: the wings are the best team in detroit and the fans around here only come out to support them during the playoffs. television ratings are even down for the wings. i try to watch as much hockey as possible and usually its by watching FSN detroit and all i see are empty seats every game. the franchise needs to lower ticket prices instead of constantly increasing them.
Lions = 16 games a season, Wings 82...not counting post season or preseason. The cost for filling up the Joe for 41 games is much much greater than filling ford field 8 times.

Just when you think the Wings are screwed and finally going to take a hit, they pull 2-3 guys out of their system who are great and they never miss a step. Fucking Wings... draft a bust now and then.

did the joe even sell out 8 times last year?? (not including playoffs)

edit: i went to a few playoff games when they played calgary last year...didnt even sell those games out.

Yes, their attendance isn't great, although they do have high prices and an arena which is bigger than most (holds 21,000+ iirc)

did the joe even sell out 8 times last year?? (not including playoffs)

edit: i went to a few playoff games when they played calgary last year...didnt even sell those games out.
No idea. I imagine they probably did. Did you know that most of those empty seats in the lower bowl were season ticket holders seats? Even tho they were not there, they were counted as sold. I think there at 7-8k if not more season ticket holders, the Joe holds 20k or so....

i did know that. i dont consider detroit hockeytown anymore tho...they used to be rabid hockey fans here...and i dont notice it anymore. a lot might be due to the tigers resurgence and the pistons being good.

I hate that numbers site, they list the paid salary in the yearly blocks but list the cap hit all in one column. I'd use HockeyBuzz.com , which is based off of the nhlscap site. Ecklund may be full of shit but at least his web team did a pretty good job on the cap listing, and they keep it fairly latent. They also have a button to switch between cap hit and salary paid.
I don't really like the cap list since it's just NHLSCAP.com - Your #1 resource for NHL Salary Cap information but only a few days ago they partnered with hockeybuzz. It's also wasn't very up to date when I'd go to check it.
10 minutes till free agency begins. *excited*

Not really. They're clearing some cap space hoping to get Hossa and whoever they trade Pitkanen for. It seems like they're getting rid of pretty much everyone that was part of the 05-06 Cup run.

Back