What companies need to learn to make a successful game:

Status
Not open for further replies.
challenge is fun as long as the challenge isn't so hard it's discouraging.

the world is full of stupid people.

you do the rest.

if we stop catering to the stupids, then they eventually get a brain morans to figure out how to play games

or they dont and stop buying and then feel worse cuz people are having FUN without them

force them to get smarter
stop catering to lazy dumb

although i'm lazy and dumb

shit

I wouldn't say that Dwarf Fortress is horribly complicated. It just seems that way cause the user interface is confusing and cumbersome. It doesn't take a lot of understanding of the game to have fun at it's most basic level: building/designing the fortress. You will have fun.

You will probably die often and early... but have fun doing it. As you learn new tricks and add them to your repertoire the game gets even more fun.

Graphics don't mean shit. Game play is 99% of what makes a game lasting and fun.

i have never died in DF
i just quit out

I cant get sieges to come
I cant get tantrums or no food or no booze
i cant get killed by wildlife even in Terrifying Horrible start locations

and i cant figure out how to build a military :)

yeah. I've never died either. But I've quit and started from scratch a thousand times. The end was near or my fortress had been decimated and handicapped or I discovered a major flaw in my fortress design.

Last edited:
basically challenge = fun... which is so incredibly obvious yet somehow eludes the big studios.

some may disagree and theyre the ADD kids whose whining is ruining gaming.

Actually, accomplishment = fun. My nephews would rather cheat and get all the achievements in a game, than actually complete the challenges.

its a problem when ALL media is being dumbed down
even the over reaching complex games which have a rabid following get fucked in the ass but EA execs, destroying amazing games

you cater to all the stupid people, all the smart people hate you

smart people are a dying breed

idiocracy here we are

your nephews are part of the problem. Entitlement generation, add now now now freaks

one reason why multiplayer games are pretty fucking awesome. sure sometimes you're up against noobs that you can steamroll, but other times it's a very very close fight, and even if you end up losing you still know it was a good fucking game.

i cant wait till they grow up and expect the same out of real life

Hey, I found a rock in my glass house! Yours? :roller: Cheats are just ways for smart people to achieve success by using out of the box methods, wouldn't you agree? It's effectively like beating the game, right, and offers similar satisfaction.

Complexity and commercial success are at odds. Not impossible to reconcile but risky and hard. Look at Angry Birds. Accessible, full of accomplishment, very little complexity. Does that make it a bad game? I don't think so. Then look at something like Portal. Simple yet lots of complexity. For those who can master it, it's very satisfying, but for the bulk of people, it's more trouble than its worth.

Can't blame games just because they reflect the intellect of society at large. I bet they play very cool complex games at MIT, but nobody gets rich selling games to just MIT students.

sim city 4 is amazing and sold awesomely well

sim city 5 was a slap in the face

dragon age 2 apparently also blows because it has been simplified

explain yourself weasel

Then look at something like Portal. Simple yet lots of complexity. For those who can master it, it's very satisfying, but for the bulk of people, it's more trouble than its worth.
Did you just say that most people don't finish Portal?

sim city 4 is amazing and sold awesomely well

sim city 5 was a slap in the face

dragon age 2 apparently also blows because it has been simplified

explain yourself weasel

As a game's complexity increases, it's sales potential decrease. A rule not without exceptions, but valid as directional. Smart, capable, hardcore gamers experiences are a minority, as evidenced by the runaway commercial success of cheaper, simpler, less complex games.

Again, depth is not the same as complexity. Depth is when 3 armors give you 27 different options for a position to play on a field. Complexity is 27 armors.

Did you just say that most people don't finish Portal?

Yes. Most people don't finish most of the video games they play. And the broader an appeal a game has, and the longer the single player game, the more that holds true. I belive most people who played Angry Birds haven't finished it, though I have no data to back that assumption.

You're all hardcore gamers here. What percentage of the games that you play do you complete?

I want to know who enjoys paying for entertainment that tells you you're too stupid to get to consume and enjoy all of it.

Umm... me?

Cause I'm like "FUCK YOU GAME I AM SMART ENOUGH" and then you know... enjoyment"

*edit* I complete maybe 75% of games I play that aren't shitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back