So my stupid smoke detector's going off for no reason by Ben Reed - Page 5 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page So my stupid smoke detector's going off for no reason
Page 5 of 9
Yaason
VeteranXX
Old
81 - 09-27-2008, 00:57
i just unplugged my smoke detector because i can. it wasnt even beeping or anything. just thinking ahead incase it starts going off randomly.

Sponsored Links
Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
82 - 09-27-2008, 00:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Refried-455 View Post
okay joke's on us

you really turned it off right away right

please tell me you did
I don't know why you'd bother asking such a thing when any answer I give will fail to impress you.

But for your sake, yeah, I did turn it off. Removing the battery did the trick.

T-Refried-455
VeteranXX
Old
83 - 09-27-2008, 00:59
you realize that by renting property, property malfunction is the fault of the rentor and any costs incurred would be on them

right

edit: i would have been totally impressed at this being a HoF troll

Flyersfan
VeteranXX
Old
84 - 09-27-2008, 01:00
ben reed whats your number i want to hear it for myself

i dont believe it

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
85 - 09-27-2008, 01:14
No, I was being sarcastic. The damn thing's still running, but again, I really don't care.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. It's just a smoke detector. It's not going to kill me if I let it run for a few hours. This is one instance of my daily life, and I really fail to see how it establishes precedent for all the other aspects of my life that I have to deal with.

There is no one definitive trial/dillemma that determines what makes a man, where if you **** up there, you **** up forever. (Unless you're, say, literally in life-and-limb danger. If you can't hang onto that cliff, you let go, you fall, and unless it's a short cliff, you probably die.) Life is lived on a case-by-case basis, and in this case, I don't think it's worth yanking wires to silence an inanimate object. This doesn't mean that I'm going to roll over and die for something where the emotional/metaphysical stakes are a lot higher. It just means I don't feel like yanking wires from a piece of plastic screwed to the ceiling.

And realistically, by this point I've already lost. You all will never look at me the same way again, no matter what I do to that damn detector. There's no point trying to impress you, because you won't be. But that's all right with me. The way I see it, following the "By God, I'll SHOW TW what's what!" philosophy to life is a slippery slope to outright stupidity. Now, I'm not saying ALL your suggestions are without merit -- but they can't go unquestioned. That's just plain dumb.

This is not to say that my life is perfect or ideal. But rest assured, I am doing more to improve it than you all get to see from the Internet. I think I can be faulted one screaming smoke detector at this point in my life, because it's far from over.

Last edited by Ben Reed; 09-27-2008 at 01:22..
fraggle
VeteranXV
Old
86 - 09-27-2008, 01:16
home schooling: it works!!!!!!

nigafool
VeteranXX
Old
87 - 09-27-2008, 01:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Reed View Post
No, I was being sarcastic. The damn thing's still running, but again, I really don't care.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. It's just a smoke detector. It's not going to kill me if I let it run for a few hours. This is one instance of my daily life, and I really fail to see how it establishes precedent for all the other aspects of my life that I have to deal with.

There is no one definitive trial/dillemma that determines what makes a man, where if you **** up there, you **** up forever. (Unless you're, say, literally in life-and-limb danger. If you can't hang onto that cliff, you let go, you fall, and unless it's a short cliff, you probably die.) Life is lived on a case-by-case basis, and in this case, I don't think it's worth yanking wires to silence an inanimate object. This doesn't mean that I'm going to roll over and die for something where the emotional/metaphysical stakes are a lot higher. It just means I don't feel like yanking wires from a piece of plastic screwed to the ceiling.

And realistically, by this point I've already lost. You all will never look at me the same way again, no matter what I do to that damn detector. There's no point trying to impress you, because you won't be. But that's all right with me. The way I see it, following the "By God, I'll SHOW TW what's what!" philosophy to life is a slippery slope to outright stupidity. Now, I'm not saying ALL your suggestions are without merit -- but they can't go unquestioned. That's just plain dumb.

This is not to say that my life is perfect or ideal. But rest assured, I am doing more to improve it than you all get to see from the Internet. I think I can be faulted one screaming smoke detector at this point in my life, because it's far from over.
you're a ****in weirdo

T-Refried-455
VeteranXX
Old
88 - 09-27-2008, 01:33
i wish parents would realize the massive impact home schooling has on social skills and independent decision-making

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
89 - 09-27-2008, 01:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggle View Post
home schooling: it works!!!!!!
You know, I thought a lot about this question throughout my life, and I'm not sure I disagree with you.

On the one hand, being outside the high school environment DID remove me from some of the stupider aspects of the high-school-specific social environment (cliques, class warfare, questions of educator integrity). Having grown up outside that environment, I basically made myself the man I am -- I did some volunteer work, I read a lot of books, and I was free to pursue most of my own interests without worrying about the opinions of others. I also actually kind of improved as a student -- from 5th grade onwards I had a very bad habit of doing, but never turning in, my homework. As the stakes got higher and I had a couple close calls, I actually learned to get over that somewhat and started applying myself a bit more.

But at the same time, being removed from the idiosyncracies of the social environment also meant, of course, that any socialization I was expected to engage in was all up to me. I had few friends when I was a kid, and I lost touch with many of them after I finished the eighth grade. I worked with children a fair deal during my volunteer work (children's museum, animal exhibition floor -- I handled various herps and invertebrates, I did some on-stage speaking during their bi-hourly animal presentations, I answered the kids' questions), and I worked with numerous adults, but I never really had that many relationships of any kind with people my own age. I'd be a liar if I said that didn't make things awkward for me.

If I were asked if I would home-school my own kids (lol you're going to die alone lol), quite honestly, I would probably say no. But at the same time, I can't totally dismiss my home-schooling experience as a wasted effort. I think I DID get some benefit out of it, even if there were some associated downsides.

(Just to clear facts up here: I DID go to normal public school from grades K-8. My parents are not any denomination of Christianity, Judaism, or anything of the sort. My experience was kind of a special case as home-schooling goes.)

At this point, I think I'll open the floor to questions about myself, since what is done here cannot be undone. I will refuse to give out my phone number or my current address, but pretty much anything else is fair game.

nigafool
VeteranXX
Old
90 - 09-27-2008, 01:43
how many hours a week do you spend working at a job

how many hours a week do you spend playing video games

how long is your hair at this point

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
91 - 09-27-2008, 01:44
gigafool: If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that phrase during my life, I could hire Donald Trump to fly down from New York and smash my smoke detector for me.

Hell yes, I'm weird. But I'm just as human as you are, and I do my best to show it and never forget it.

I won't lie and say I'm proud of everything I've ever done in and with my life. But this is hardly the last gasp of my humanity you're seeing here. Corny as it is to actually SAY this, there's a side to me most of you will never see, beyond the guy screaming at shadows on the Interwebs.

Stilgar
VeteranXX
Old
92 - 09-27-2008, 01:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriDLoK View Post
maybe there is dust or something in the sensors, try vacuuming it
They use a low level radioactive souce to pull smoke particulants across the detector.
Cleaning it is a good suggestion.
Especially in Florida.

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
93 - 09-27-2008, 01:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigafool View Post
how many hours a week do you spend working at a job
Zero, currently. I take 12 credit hours this term. Haven't pursued a part-time job mostly because I'm not sure if I can get anything that fits my somewhat spastic class schedule (one class early Tuesday morning till noon, one at 3 in the afternoon Tues-Thurs, two back to back from 5:30-9:00 on Mon/Wed).

I used to do around 15 hours of volunteer work at the aforementioned children's museum, but I kinda fell off the grid as I got more involved in school.

Quote:
how many hours a week do you spend playing video games
Only 20ish currently for the week (at around 3 hours a day). I quit WoW recently to free up more time for school.

Quote:
how long is your hair at this point
About six inches past my shoulders. I am ready and willing to cut it whenever I'm faced with a REAL job interview. The same goes for my beard. But until then, I'm just going to let them stay as they are. Chopping them off won't make a radical difference in my physical attractiveness, and may in fact draw attention to less obvious aspects of my hideousness (my weight, while not of Mav proportions, is not ideal, and my face looks something like the moon on a clear summer night).

So basically, everything you assumed about me is true.

Last edited by Ben Reed; 09-27-2008 at 01:58..
Gon
VeteranXX
Old
94 - 09-27-2008, 01:55
your fire alarm has been going off for at least 2.5 hours now

lol

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
95 - 09-27-2008, 01:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon View Post
your fire alarm has been going off for at least 2.5 hours now

lol
It's funny because it's sad because it's true.

And technically, it's my smoke detector, not my fire alarm. I have one of those, too, but thankfully it hasn't malfunctioned on me yet.

Gon
VeteranXX
Old
96 - 09-27-2008, 02:00
yeah im dumb

nigafool
VeteranXX
Old
97 - 09-27-2008, 02:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Reed View Post
Only 20ish currently for the week (at around 3 hours a day). I quit WoW recently to free up more time for school.

Baby Bew
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
98 - 09-27-2008, 02:01
Can I just say

Your smoke detector is just as worthless going off for no reason as it is disconnected.

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
99 - 09-27-2008, 02:02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon View Post
yeah im dumb
Not nearly as dumb as me. I've got this thread to prove it.

Gon
VeteranXX
Old
100 - 09-27-2008, 02:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Bew View Post
Can I just say

Your smoke detector is just as worthless going off for no reason as it is disconnected.
IT VIOLATES APARTMENT SAFETY CODE.

Page 5 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page So my stupid smoke detector's going off for no reason

Social Website Bullshit