[T3]Disc Wake

TeckMan

Veteran XV
The idea behind this, and many of my suggestions, is to increase the skill level of the next tribes game by encouraging maneuvers that are more skillfull.

This post will deal with the Mid-Air Disc or MA.

A powerful weapon in skilled hands at close range (except for that bitch nonreg shit), it quickly becomes a pub only, flashy move, at long range. Long range battles degenerate into snipe and chain fests, weapons that I believe are less skillfull to use. They are also less fun to play against because you can't dodge each individual shot, but instead just make yourself unpredicatble in hopes your opponent will miss. I think we all agree it's more gratifying to release your jets just slightly so a disc misses you than run patterns on the ground so you can't be hit by a snipe.

The idea is to add a sort of splash damage to the disc in midair so that if you are just barely off at long range you will still do some damage.

How it would work is that little trail behind the disc would expand (longer and wider) as the disc traveled farther. Perhaps it could also expand infront of the disc (realism explanation could be it pushes the air infront of it or something). The trail would also do less damage as it was farther from the center of the disc (just like regular ground splash). so while at close range the disc would require dead on accuracy, if you are within a couple player models size at 100m+ you will still do a good amount of damage.

I know at first it seems like this would lessen the skill of the game, it would actually increase it by allowing medium-long range disc MAs to be more feasible in competitive play.

disc wake made me think of a cool graphical effect. You know how when you have heat waves in the summer that distort the light hitting the air and make it wavey like? Ya, that would be a cool effect to have trailing the disc. Like in a wave type effect.

TeckMan said:
The idea behind this...allowing medium-long range disc MAs to be more feasible in competitive play.
The homing-nuclear-EMP-proximity mortar will obviate the need for this.

:uptosomet

Acutally, one of our goals is to simplify. Needless complexity rarely adds to the fun factor, but frequently comes back to haunt you after the fact. I'm not sure what the long range effects of something like this would be, but I see a big potential for spam abuse using it.

Thrax Panda said:

Acutally, one of our goals is to simplify. Needless complexity rarely adds to the fun factor, but frequently comes back to haunt you after the fact. I'm not sure what the long range effects of something like this would be, but I see a big potential for spam abuse using it.
thx for the reply thrax ;)

I don't think it's really as complex as I make it sound. A near-miss disc will still do some damage as a "consolation prize" of sorts. Using the disc trail is just a realism explanation and graphical effect.

As for spam that's a tricky one. I didn't really think of how this would influence long range ground shots, that someone could get hit by the wake and the actual disc direct or explosion splash. I dunno how to handle that without being gimicky, but I still think my idea is a sound one.

Thrax Panda said:

so very true

sig.gif

Is that a snippet out of a T3 storyboard/concept art?

Back