Valve just announced the next Half Life title by The Magical Zoo - Page 4 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Valve just announced the next Half Life title
Page 4 of 5
Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
61 - 11-20-2019, 14:58
Mario Odyssey (didn't come out 8 years ago) does have 'wide sweeping' motion controls. You gesture the controllers up, to the side, or shake to control actions. These are not motions which require fine articulation.

Fine articulation is not possible with the resolution of the motion input - something like that would be too inaccurate in a fast action game which speaks to my point about VR games needing to be slower-paced or more casual like an exploration or building game if aims to do more with its control scheme. It's a limitation on the games that can do well with motion controls. Do I think VR is failing because Nintendo has offered that gimmick for nearly 14 years? I don't think it helps.

Motion control is not a new technology and it's not exclusive to VR so what's the draw to adopt the tech? The visor? Well you have issues with needing a computer powerful enough to run that tech. The resolutions of the screens. The issue of the 'screen door' effect as well as how long a user can play before they feel discomfort (either nausea or the weight of the visor from prolonged wear). There are a lot of factors that have yet to be 'solved' (if such a thing is possible). All of these factors work to limit just what kinds of games perform better in VR better than other platforms and why adopting the tech is slow.

I think VR as a whole should have stuck to head tracking for camera controls and traditional mouse/kb for the rest and sold people on the immersion factor. You could have partnered up with Blizzard for a VR Hearthstone or do a VR Dota AutoChess/LoL TFT. There are huge games out there today which don't require you to do a whole lot as a player. Start basic and go from there as the tech limitations fall by the wayside.

Sponsored Links
bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
62 - 11-20-2019, 15:09
mario odyssey has waggle for a single hat throw you never use because it's unreliable which nintendo motion control always has been with a handful of exceptions on wii

their last earnest attempt at a sp game driven by motion control that would be anything remotely comparable to vr was skyward sword in 2011, and that plus metroid prime 3 is pretty much the closest they came to making it work

if by wide sweeping motion you meant waggle and by integrating it into their games you meant including it as a token usually optional feature then sure you're on point

hastie
VeteranX
Old
63 - 11-20-2019, 18:14
In my experience, the tracking on the vive pro controllers is pretty ****ing fast, and super fine tracking isnt as important, as you cant be super accurate holding the controllers steady in front of you anyway in games like pavlov. You will have some jitter regardless just like trying to hold a real pistol perfectly still with it extended. You're not trying to put a pixel wide crosshair on a 4 pixel wide head from across the map, you are holding a virtual gun out in front of you and popping off shots. Yeah I guess sniping with a scope is a bit ****y, but that's kind of an edge case.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
64 - 11-21-2019, 07:46
But it should excel at things like Skyrim, adventure, etc

VR Monkey Island or Zork would be sweet

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
65 - 11-21-2019, 12:14
zork was just a bunch of words how do you put that on vr

do you have a virtual keyboard in front of you where you can type "take grue"

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
66 - 11-21-2019, 13:16
They tried to put VR on roller coasters and people didn't care for it. I've never done it because I think it's stupid. VR is just strapping TV screens to your face and making it so your head moves everything instead of a mouse.

The problem with new games is most of them have up charges to get better characters or weapons, and even if you pay, others will still be above you because they play non stop.

Right now in CS:GO, they just came out with new challenges. Everyone is using the Nova shotgun because you have to get 10 kills with it. It's funny because everyone on the map is using it, while I'm using an SSG and picking everyone off from long range.

hastie
VeteranX
Old
67 - 11-21-2019, 13:33
Everything in your first paragraph is false.

Nash
Nazi Admin++
Contributor
Old
68 - 11-21-2019, 13:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2W0N3uKXmo

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
69 - 11-21-2019, 14:04
VALVe has invested a lot of effort into trying to make VR a mainstream trend in gaming.

It makes sense that they would take matters into their own hands and create a game that properly showcases why they think all this effort is worth it.

Obviously very few other parties are getting on board by making VR games that properly demonstrate the potential of the genre.

I wasn't going to buy any VR hardware regardless of how interesting it is because it was too novel and there were no games for it worth the high entry cost.

It's cool to see a Half Life game being released, even if it isn't HL3, but they'll need a lot more than just one game to convince me to buy a VR headset. However, I think that's the real motive behind this game, it is to get the ball rolling and show that a VR game is viable as a full feature AAA game, not just a novel gimmick.

Last edited by Hellsfury; 11-21-2019 at 14:06..
The Magical Zoo
VeteranXV
Old
70 - 11-21-2019, 14:23
There was more VC money put into VR last year than all previous years combined. It's still coming.

Trailer looks good.

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
71 - 11-21-2019, 14:25
I don't doubt that VR will eventually be mainstream like "Ready Player One". It just has to reach critical mass and I think VALVe is just getting impatient waiting for someone else to create the game that strikes the match.

I just wonder how much of a game this really is... is it 40 hours? Is it 4 hours? Current AAA experiences are setting a pretty low bar at the moment.

Last edited by Hellsfury; 11-21-2019 at 14:31..
HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
72 - 11-21-2019, 16:02
if they somehow have WASD-like movement figured out witout me putting on boots and walking into my walls this looks p gud... if point-to-go-here on-rails crap then

VR may be gimmicky... but still way more legit than cloud gaming

EcKoPwnZ
VeteranX
Old
73 - 11-22-2019, 00:14
VR = trash

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
74 - 11-22-2019, 00:35
i have read that it is very big with the gay community, as many have not had sex since aids and vr is the next closest.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
75 - 11-22-2019, 01:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowl of blood View Post
zork was just a bunch of words how do you put that on vr

do you have a virtual keyboard in front of you where you can type "take grue"
Absolutely

A big black screen with classic green text is all you can see

It would be a very unique gaming experience.

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
76 - 11-22-2019, 02:01
the screen shouldn't be too big i think 11 inches should do

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
77 - 11-22-2019, 02:04
That trailer looks very nice. I love the way you can sweep crap off a shelf to search for things. I hate having to click on every draw/box/barrel.

I don't see why WASD movement couldn't be done with a foot board. Have a disc under your desk that tilts every which way and also has twist/rotate that could incorporate circle strafe type movement.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
78 - 11-22-2019, 02:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowl of blood View Post
the screen shouldn't be too big i think 11 inches should do
Probably go for an original 12", full 80 column

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
79 - 11-22-2019, 02:13
actually not, 40 columns is enough for pretty much all Infocom games.

I think Trinity was one of the first that used/benefitted from 80 column text.

Nicodemus
VeteranXX
Old
80 - 11-22-2019, 02:52
The Trailer looks fantastic but not everyone has a whole room in their home dedicated to a video game.

So ****in stupid go to only VR.

It'll be fun watching some idiot play through it, but it ain't got my money. And that's saying a lot considering how in love with the HL series I, and a ****ton of other people are.

Page 4 of 5

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Valve just announced the next Half Life title

Social Website Bullshit