Cataclysm Class Previews

Man Heroic Leap is back! It was fun as shit when 3.0 first launched, I wonder why they got rid of it?

These goddamn changes make me want to play again :\ Of course when do we run out of buttons for rotations etc? Some classes have to be getting full :eek:

Not sure if I'm digging the new rune change. It is very poorly explained and I guess I'll find out more later.

"In PvP, we want to reduce the rogue's dependency on binary cooldowns and "stun-locks," and give them more passive survivability in return. One major change is that we'll put Cheap Shot on the same diminishing return as other stuns. The increase to Armor and Stamina on cloth, leather, and mail gear will help with this goal as well."

FER SERIOUS?!

Not sure if I'm digging the new rune change. It is very poorly explained and I guess I'll find out more later.

it basically sounds like they combined the runes into one, so think of it this way, each rune has a charge of 100, each ability that costs one rune would cost 100 charge of that rune, FU abilities would cost 100 charge of frost and unholy rune, blood strike would cost 100 charges of blood rune etc. So instead of having 2 blood runes each at 100 charges, we'd have one blood rune that has 200 charges.

What that means is, currently if both your blood runes are charging and each is at about 50 charges, you can't use either since you need 100 to use an ability, but after the change, your single blood rune would be at 100/200 charges instead of 2 blood runes at 50/100 charges, and now you can use your abilities without having to wait for it to fully charge to 200.

"In PvP, we want to reduce the rogue's dependency on binary cooldowns and "stun-locks," and give them more passive survivability in return. One major change is that we'll put Cheap Shot on the same diminishing return as other stuns. The increase to Armor and Stamina on cloth, leather, and mail gear will help with this goal as well."

FER SERIOUS?!

ya, everyone is getting a lot more health now and there won't be as much gap in hp between cloth/leather/mail to plate.

it basically sounds like they combined the runes into one, so think of it this way, each rune has a charge of 100, each ability that costs one rune would cost 100 charge of that rune, FU abilities would cost 100 charge of frost and unholy rune, blood strike would cost 100 charges of blood rune etc. So instead of having 2 blood runes each at 100 charges, we'd have one blood rune that has 200 charges.

What that means is, currently if both your blood runes are charging and each is at about 50 charges, you can't use either since you need 100 to use an ability, but after the change, your single blood rune would be at 100/200 charges instead of 2 blood runes at 50/100 charges, and now you can use your abilities without having to wait for it to fully charge to 200.

When I woke up this morning, there was a new explanation by Ghostcrawler (I might jump on GC hate bandwagon soon) on how runes are intended to work in Cataclysm but it is still impossible for me to decide if I like it or not considering a lot of abilities will be changed in costs.

No matter which way you look at this issue, DKs will have more GCDs to do nothing with. The excuse they gave was latency being a problem for a DK currently which is completely untrue. I don't mind a change at times, but I am worried that this will turn into a badly tuned rotation/priority system where you sit there for 3-4 GCDs doing nothing after spending all your RP and runes on CD.

When I woke up this morning, there was a new explanation by Ghostcrawler (I might jump on GC hate bandwagon soon) on how runes are intended to work in Cataclysm but it is still impossible for me to decide if I like it or not considering a lot of abilities will be changed in costs.

No matter which way you look at this issue, DKs will have more GCDs to do nothing with. The excuse they gave was latency being a problem for a DK currently which is completely untrue. I don't mind a change at times, but I am worried that this will turn into a badly tuned rotation/priority system where you sit there for 3-4 GCDs doing nothing after spending all your RP and runes on CD.

Well they said DK attacks will hit harder but less frequently, which is perfectly fine with me.

Rogue changes are shit if you don't PvP.

Also I'm pretty sure they're going to fuck up that whole "active vs. passive" damage rebalance.

Looking forward to sucking shit for the first tier. [/sarcasm]

Well they said DK attacks will hit harder but less frequently, which is perfectly fine with me.

DK rotation is very tight and its one of the things I like about the class. If you fuck up and miss one ability in your rotation, you are pretty severely fucked unless you have ERW on CD. This is what separates a good DK from all the bad ones.

Having a lot of free GCDs means dumbing down the game, allowing weaker players to be OKAY with fucking up here and there and doing decent. A part of me feels like this is a punishment for good players.

I'm not completely opposed to it, but I still can't say if I'll like it or not until I see some numbers on ability costs and damage.

I understand it. It's like having 3 rogue energy bars and each attack cost 50 energy from one or more of the bars.

It's so that you have a few seconds that you can wait before using an available rune since you continue generating resources instead of stopping all production because you're "full".

DK rotation is very tight and its one of the things I like about the class. If you fuck up and miss one ability in your rotation, you are pretty severely fucked unless you have ERW on CD. This is what separates a good DK from all the bad ones.

Having a lot of free GCDs means dumbing down the game, allowing weaker players to be OKAY with fucking up here and there and doing decent. A part of me feels like this is a punishment for good players.

I'm not completely opposed to it, but I still can't say if I'll like it or not until I see some numbers on ability costs and damage.
It sounds terrible. For PvE, they are basically reducing the class to 3 runes instead of 6 since you'll be using those runes instantly when they come up on cooldown. The only things I can think of that can compensate for this change is to have abilities give a lot more runic power or rune regeneration is a shit ton faster.

Back