Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

star-wars-heir-book.jpg

Impressions?

I got this book as a kid but never read it. Im thinking of buying it for Kindle, but one review warns that the book has lots of annotations in the margins on the paper ver. Is this true?

Is the book good? Should I go kindle or print?

Never read it myself, but had intended to buy it based on some rave reviews by numerous ppl here, and would be buying the book, not digital.

Maybe it's me, but I dislike Sandersons work. He has interesting magic systems, but the dialogue is so silly that it strains credulity. Every character reads the same, and none of them ever behave like you would expect.

The last WOT book was a mess, and way of kings gets so boring I had to put it down midway through .

George Martin has really spoiled me i guess. Too bad he writes a book once every five years

His characters are kind of cookie-cutter and built with blocks of characteristics and description. They all kind of act like 1950's movie stars. They don't really surprise the reader; they only come out and say their lines. This worked well for the closing out of the wheel of time.

I'll have to read some of his other work sometime. Sanderson gave me the impression that he was a performance writer that can grind stuff out quick. I hardly talked to him and he didn't do a reading, so this may be just my impression.

I really liked The Way of Kings but its definitely a struggle to get through the first half of the book, it starts to pick up. I think it'll work out to be a better epic than WoT which plateaued at the fifth book or something.

martins good but hes equally unbelievable.

I did a 2nd reading of Way of Kings a couple of months ago and completely skipped all the little girl's chapters. Didn't miss anything. I'm sure her arc will develop into something interesting eventually, but atm all she was good for was for her sketch book (which was a great idea).

His characters are kind of cookie-cutter and built with blocks of characteristics and description. They all kind of act like 1950's movie stars. They don't really surprise the reader; they only come out and say their lines. This worked well for the closing out of the wheel of time.

Spot on.

star-wars-heir-book.jpg

Impressions?

I got this book as a kid but never read it. Im thinking of buying it for Kindle, but one review warns that the book has lots of annotations in the margins on the paper ver. Is this true?

Is the book good? Should I go kindle or print?

I've never read any other star wars books but the Zahn ones were excellent.

Currently reading the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton which is crazy long and reminds me a lot of the culture novels by Iain M Banks.

*shrug* Depends on what you're in the mood for. Low calorie action stories can still be entertaining, like Conan movies or Starship Troopers.

I did a 2nd reading of Way of Kings a couple of months ago and completely skipped all the little girl's chapters. Didn't miss anything. I'm sure her arc will develop into something interesting eventually, but atm all she was good for was for her sketch book (which was a great idea).

I have no idea how you can do that. I don't think I have ever hit fast forward in a book. My mind is blown!

Is this normal?

Well... I can't do it in my first reading of anything. But if i'm re-reading something I'll sometimes skip shit...

WoT had some awesome FF>> moments.

just started reading the first malazan book, the preface said i would love it or hate it

so far i dont hate it, only 30 page or so in

I had to get over an initial hump that lasted about half the first book before I was really into it. Then I couldn't stop.

Only thing that bothered me about the series was the way the author starts handling deaths later in the game.

I dont understand all the love black company got here.

im almost done the third one and theyre alright but definitely nothing amazing, so far everythings been pretty hold your hand straight forward.

Back