38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus" by Evil Engineer - Page 4 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page 38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus"
Page 4 of 22
dionysus
VeteranX
Old
61 - 09-01-2008, 17:20
It's to bad the yankees are going to win the wild card.

Sponsored Links
gehrig38
Veteran4
Old
62 - 09-01-2008, 17:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TseTse View Post
That's exactly how it SHOULD start.

That's exactly how most big game/movie projects start.
I've only ever started one, so I don't know as much about this as you appear to.

Quote:
These games are multimillion dollar art production projects on par with huge hollywood studio movies. Getting the concepts right (both aesthetic and design) are critical at the first stage.
First point is dead on, same time lines and budgets as a huge hollywood movie, if you are honest about the time and financing needed.

Quote:
My problem with this is that it's yet another ****ing FANTASY mmo. That genre is stale.

(unless they are aiming for consoles somehow)
It's obviously your opinion, but I disagree with this and have since I've heard it. The movie industry goes the same way, peaks and valleys. I've heard it said and agree that 'Fantasy is in our DNA', everyone can associate with the Dragon, Hero, damsel in distress to some degree or another. We're past, I think, the last generation that grew up on Tolkien, but fantasy is still incredibly strong and imo will remain so.

And honestly, you get R.A. Salvatore to buy into your story, agree to flesh it out and build a world, is it not the smart decision to make a fantasy based IP? I mean the guys only built a 3 decade long, NYT best seller filled career out of creating iconic characters and worlds in the fantasy genre.

It would be like someone taking over the Red Sox next year and ordering them to put Jon Papelbon in middle relief, because he wants to or thinks he knows more than everyone else, that's just dumb business.

Oh and Todd, ya, what was that comment? Stale? Ya, another guy who basically created his own industry and career, and business, with his hands, like 3 decades ago.

Their both artists so I am sure the haters will come out in force, since art is always a personal thing, but neither of them can be called 'untalented' or 'hacks' by anyone here with an ounce of credibility (unless Stan Lee or Tolkien stops by to post).

The cooler part of it is they're as nice, if not nicer, people, than they are talented.

Oh and for anyone heading down the 'three rich dudes pissing money at a hobby' path, don't. It's a tired and invalid rant and has no merit.

Senty
VeteranXX
Old
63 - 09-01-2008, 17:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrig38 View Post
Their both artists so I am sure the haters will come out in force, since art is always a personal thing, but neither of them can be called 'untalented' or 'hacks' by anyone here with an ounce of credibility (unless Stan Lee or Tolkien stops by to post).

The cooler part of it is they're as nice, if not nicer, people, than they are talented.
I guess 2/3 ain't bad.

Senty
VeteranXX
Old
64 - 09-01-2008, 17:28
Wondering if you've played Warhammer Online yet, if you are going to put that much work into the lore the thing to do would be to stick to it and one with constant turmoil and no true good guys tends to be the most engaging.

Diablo Escobar
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
65 - 09-01-2008, 17:28
haha, I really hope that is who it's supposed to be, it'd be easy enough to steal his name from SOSH and use it here

if it really is him, though, I hope he sticks around, things are funny here

Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
66 - 09-01-2008, 17:30
There is no damn way its him. That would be like Coolio playing Trib-waaaaaaait a minute....

Senty
VeteranXX
Old
67 - 09-01-2008, 17:30
Or Will Wright running around with a Repair Pack and healing both teams

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
68 - 09-01-2008, 17:31
It is him

Unless it is a crazy stalker who knows everything about his company and remembers a post he made on warhammeralliance 2+ years ago. I wonder how he found out about this thread though

buize
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
69 - 09-01-2008, 17:31
curt why did you smash the questec pitch calling machine in arizona?

Kill Your Parents
Veteran4
Old
70 - 09-01-2008, 17:32

groundzero
VeteranXX
Old
71 - 09-01-2008, 17:32
Uh this project will fail miserably. I don't give a **** if you came on this forum to defend your ****ty project, that's your choice. The idea is still stupid.

Vir
VeteranXV
Old
72 - 09-01-2008, 17:33
curt bring the eq magic back!

DocHolliday
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
73 - 09-01-2008, 17:34
Famous people never play online games, that is what us normal folks do.

gehrig38
Veteran4
Old
74 - 09-01-2008, 17:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senty View Post
Wondering if you've played Warhammer Online yet, if you are going to put that much work into the lore the thing to do would be to stick to it and one with constant turmoil and no true good guys tends to be the most engaging.
I have. Been able to get into the testing. I am hoping beyond hope it does great because I love the IP.

There was an immense amount of effort on our part, that they didn't have to go through because ours is an original IP. That being said, it's an original IP fleshed out and developed by R.A. Salvatore, which eases the pain of all the extra time/money/work we had to do, that others didn't or don't.

It's still an immense challenge, but so is pitching on one foot. It sure as hell isn't what I expected when I said "Man I am going to do that one day, build a company and make an MMO" some 10 odd years ago.

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
75 - 09-01-2008, 17:38
Don't care what you say, fantasy is stale. The vast majority of MMORPGs are high fantasy. It's like making a FPS set in WWII.

An MMO based in a setting like Arcanum would be pretty bad ass though. Generic high fantasy is dull.

DocHolliday
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
76 - 09-01-2008, 17:40
Well, if things go well you have something to keep you busy after baseball is over with.

I'll keep an eye on it like I do all MMO's. Still haven't enjoyed one since Shadowbane though.

WoW bored the crap out of me, AoC did the same. Warhammer has potential, we shall see.

Do me a favor, if someone on the development team mentions the word "instance" to you to cut down on server loads and to ease their jobs coding the backend please slap them upside the face.

One giant world with nowhere to hide is the way to go.

Last edited by DocHolliday; 09-01-2008 at 17:44..
Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
77 - 09-01-2008, 17:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseMyrmidon View Post
Don't care what you say, fantasy is stale. The vast majority of MMORPGs are high fantasy. It's like making a FPS set in WWII.

An MMO based in a setting like Arcanum would be pretty bad ass though. Generic high fantasy is dull.
I'm close to digging up that giant mmo wank post I wrote a few years ago. Just because Galaxies got ****ed up, no one will do a sci-fi mmo anymore.

... all I want is capital ships, ground combat, fighters, etc.

Vir
VeteranXV
Old
78 - 09-01-2008, 17:41
There isn't any evidence of anything other than high fantasy being what people want. City of heroes fail, Matrix online fail, Anarchy online fail, whatever that stupid futuristic one with the strippers fail. The majority wants what they can immediately recognize.

Not to say high fantasy can't fail, just a much bigger chance breaking from the norm.

Last edited by Vir; 09-01-2008 at 17:44..
gehrig38
Veteran4
Old
79 - 09-01-2008, 17:45
90+% of the MMO community plays Fantasy based MMO's. I love fantasy.

I spent 23 years making stupid money and saving. I did all that and decided this would be our next ride, staking pretty much everything I'd made over that 23 years.

I sure as HELL wasn't going to make a game that I couldn't be passionate, excited and in love with from day 1 through the end. That wasn't going to happen in a western, sci-fi or some other genre, it was going to be fantasy.

Bottom line is I put my money where my mouth is, and sometime in the next 5-10 years I'll know whether I made a mistake or not.

I'm pretty comfortable saying I didn't, today, now.

Vir
VeteranXV
Old
80 - 09-01-2008, 17:47
989 studios/38 studios. doing good so far! heh

Page 4 of 22

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page 38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus"

Social Website Bullshit