38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus" by Evil Engineer - Page 12 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page 38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus"
Page 12 of 22
Mangle-Me-Elmo
VeteranXX
Old
221 - 09-02-2008, 08:32
um

curt schilling is posting in this thread?

Sponsored Links
Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
222 - 09-02-2008, 08:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
You do realize that that graph looks totally ridiculous due to the sheer quantity of people playing WoW right? Oh, and 2/3 of WoW users are outside the US.
Same thing with Lineage and Final Fantasy.

Wufei
VeteranXX
Old
223 - 09-02-2008, 08:39
i wonder if there are cheats for second life

Evil Engineer
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
224 - 09-02-2008, 08:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangle-Me-Elmo View Post
um

curt schilling is posting in this thread?
http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/member.php?u=48694 = curt

triple
VeteranXV
Old
225 - 09-02-2008, 09:10
wait, curt schilling? glad im online for this..

Diablo Escobar
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
226 - 09-02-2008, 09:11
well you're not, it was all day yesterday

Mangle-Me-Elmo
VeteranXX
Old
227 - 09-02-2008, 09:13
your name is stupid

triple
VeteranXV
Old
228 - 09-02-2008, 09:15
yea oh well.

my .02

fantasy mmo's aren't stale, but putting one out is like releasing an indie flick on the premiere of star wars. you won't be able to even compete with blizzard. everyone who wants to play a fantasy mmo is already playing wow. You'll get an initial subscription bump and then a huge drop off whenever the next wow expansion comes up.

Its just not feasible anymore.

Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
229 - 09-02-2008, 09:17
just FYI curt, triple stopped being a red sox fan because he was a douche in the ticket line and got kicked out.

triple
VeteranXV
Old
230 - 09-02-2008, 09:21
just fyi curt, falhawk is an abortion survivor

he in fact runs a charity for other failed abortions like himself

Diablo Escobar
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
231 - 09-02-2008, 09:25
haha, that might be the funniest thing triple has ever said on here

i bet he stole it from someone

-raven-
VeteranX
Old
232 - 09-02-2008, 09:38
I clicked this thread just to post about how I don't like Curt Schilling because he's such an obnoxious blowhard

Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
233 - 09-02-2008, 09:45
fyi curt, triple is a pear shaped douchebag

anomaly
VeteranXV
Old
234 - 09-02-2008, 09:46
you guys are all retarded

we all know schilling doesnt have hands anymore, theyre in the baseball HoF next to his sock

ip check on this smurf

filsinger
Crazy HookerX
Contributor
Old
235 - 09-02-2008, 09:57
looks like curt is long gone from this thread.

triple
VeteranXV
Old
236 - 09-02-2008, 09:59
dont worry ill call the whiner line and tell him to get back here

TseTse
VeteranX
Old
237 - 09-02-2008, 10:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrig38 View Post
I've only ever started one, so I don't know as much about this as you appear to.
Im sure you know much more than us. I just did some "mod" stuff and obsess about the industry on/off. Came close to going into the field, tho.

I just respect that movies and games are very much about having a clear vision, which implies concept art and i thought those mocking yours were off the mark (i.e. DAC sucks, and he sucks at healing in fantasy RPGs too).

My layperson/fan 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrig38 View Post
First point is dead on, same time lines and budgets as a huge hollywood movie, if you are honest about the time and financing needed.

It's obviously your opinion, but I disagree with this and have since I've heard it. The movie industry goes the same way, peaks and valleys. I've heard it said and agree that 'Fantasy is in our DNA', everyone can associate with the Dragon, Hero, damsel in distress to some degree or another. We're past, I think, the last generation that grew up on Tolkien, but fantasy is still incredibly strong and imo will remain so.

And honestly, you get R.A. Salvatore to buy into your story, agree to flesh it out and build a world, is it not the smart decision to make a fantasy based IP? I mean the guys only built a 3 decade long, NYT best seller filled career out of creating iconic characters and worlds in the fantasy genre.

It would be like someone taking over the Red Sox next year and ordering them to put Jon Papelbon in middle relief, because he wants to or thinks he knows more than everyone else, that's just dumb business.

Oh and Todd, ya, what was that comment? Stale? Ya, another guy who basically created his own industry and career, and business, with his hands, like 3 decades ago.

Their both artists so I am sure the haters will come out in force, since art is always a personal thing, but neither of them can be called 'untalented' or 'hacks' by anyone here with an ounce of credibility (unless Stan Lee or Tolkien stops by to post).

The cooler part of it is they're as nice, if not nicer, people, than they are talented.

Oh and for anyone heading down the 'three rich dudes pissing money at a hobby' path, don't. It's a tired and invalid rant and has no merit.
Fair points

I was just *****ing as a GAMER/fan, because i fear the MMO RPG genre is kinda played out for the PC market in that there's such a monolithic title out there it's as if the genre may as well be dead.

I don't know whre the term came from, but i think of WoW as a "genre killer."

The term probably started at a GDC event somewhere. I think WoW is a "genre killer" although clearly the market pie is growing (i.e. it's not a zero sum struggle over a finite number of customers). WoW sets the standards now, defines the terms, raises expectations and is the benchmark by which all are to be judged.

Even a game like Warhammer which is entirely focused on a PvP submarket and which has a strong IP backing it with a company with strong experience... it immediately faces the wave of criticisms like "looks like wow," "not ready for release," "doesn't feel finished," "boring," "not enough people play it," etc.

If the game has orcs, elves and dwarves in it... it's stuck being called a wow clone even if the IP is older than Warcraft. It will be expected to be as polished as wow on day 1.

Online gaming has a "social" problem for developers.

It's like making high school seniors switch high schools.

They are comfortable. Their identity includes being a "senior" at this school. All their friends are there. They are attached to the routines, dynamics and all the social **** at that specific place. If all their friends are staying, they aint budging. Online gaming devs have to face this inertia that is out there. How do you get high schoolers to switch? Better classes, more cute boys/girls, cooler buildings, better sports? In the end, all their friends have to go at the same time... so how do you do that?

10+ million people play WoW and many more are embedded in little cliques of friends who game together. Some of the market bailed on WoW and just plays FPS and other types of games casually... but there is still a social dynamic.

Anyways, my point there is clear.

WoW had 4.5 million players in its open beta. It was a new free drug and brought "high schoolers" over from entirely other genres of gaming... in mass.

An MMO doesnt need WoW numbers to be successful, but it's been real hard for new MMOs to get their fair attention and love...

"Fantasy" has more awesome stuff that can be done in PC gaming and MMOs... but for ****'s sake avoid the usual Dungeons & Dragons cliches...

Cuz Warcraft basically owns those "high schoolers." They wont budge. They are raid zombies attached to their vent buddies and comfort. You can only get them if they are given free drugs on the corner and brought over in groups at a time. Most will go back.

Games can feed on the PvP sub-market there, but that's about it... imo.

Last edited by TseTse; 09-02-2008 at 10:05..
triple
VeteranXV
Old
238 - 09-02-2008, 10:03
totally agree with everything tsetse said (and that doesnt happen often)

look, I just spent the past week grinding pvp, having literal months /played since the initial beta

im not about to drop everything to play your game - don't be offended, that goes for ANY mmo. Just too invested already in something else. unless they make star trek online proper - that would be awesome.

Flunky
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
239 - 09-02-2008, 10:04
hellraiser is such a ****ing clown...

Ranger-=VuP=-
VeteranXV
Old
240 - 09-02-2008, 10:07
I'm in the industry in Boston and know a lot of people at 38studios. I could confirm pretty easily if this is mr. schilling or just a smurf by asking him a few 'security questions.' I'd guess it's a smurf, though. Probably triple.

Page 12 of 22

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page 38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus"

Social Website Bullshit