38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus" by Evil Engineer - Page 10 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page 38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus"
Page 10 of 22
Senty
VeteranXX
Old
181 - 09-01-2008, 23:34
Probably forgot, let me go check the demos on the front page oh wait

Sponsored Links
Adroit
VeteranXX
Old
182 - 09-01-2008, 23:35

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
183 - 09-01-2008, 23:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laundry View Post
No, idiot. I contrasted punch-out and wow.
Comparing and contrasting are synonyms (I think).

Juke
VeteranX
Old
184 - 09-01-2008, 23:35
I wish I knew something about baseball so I could enjoy this argument

Smellraisr get him to argue about tribes

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
185 - 09-01-2008, 23:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrig38 View Post
What his compensation is, really isn't relevant, but your first assumption is dead wrong.

First off please don't twist or contort what I say, hell it's not that hard man, it's in a text box right above your post. I said he's not a computer gamer, no that he didn't know what he was doing.

Obviously you don't like Todd, that's pretty clear, but the above quote pretty much makes your post irrelevant and ignorant to facts.

"Better artist"? Isn't that pretty much in the eye of the fan/viewer? And last I checked he has a global following that nets spawn.com 300 million uniques a month, but ya he's a shallow hack with no talent.

The comic strip parody further illustrates the point. People don't go to those lengths to trash talk nobodies. Just like Yankee stadium, the louder they boo you the less you suck, they don't boo nobodies.

"More Creative"? Seriously? Or did I miss the part where every comic book artist in the past 25 years has had enough talent, and sack, to venture off on his own and create a 40+ million dollar a year company. Where is that place, google earth it for me and let me in, I'm obviously stupid.

Todd is involved in the IP to drive the artistic vision and assist in growing the actual IP itself. This is far more than just a computer game, well it will be at some point. To spawn (no pun intended) a new IP in this day and age, and have it get global recognition is going to take far more than just a game and it was planned that way from day one, years and years ago.
This is going downhill fast. You base his worth on his fame? Todd got rich and famous by getting in on self publishing just before comics became popular again in the 90's, then rode the waves of sucess because of his fan base that consisted of 10-13 year old boys who have long since grown up and no longer care about him. It doesnt mean he's good at what he does. This, in relation to gaming, is like saying John Romero is a better developer than any number of up and coming, or just plane undiscovered developers just because everyone knows his name and was a fan of his work when our voices were cracking.

The way you qualify this stuff is just unreal. I hope you can keep up your badge of honor outlook on criticism. How long will it be before you regret the clame to "redefine conventional multi-player gaming as it exists today."? Now, or after a few more concept art pics? or maybe even long enough for a single screen shot?

Is anyone else getting a major S.O.E. vibe from this guy? Wait, S.O.E. comparisons must be a good thing, right? If they have so many subscribers, they must make some fantastic games! After all, "the louder you boo, the less they suck."

Gringo
VeteranXV
Old
186 - 09-01-2008, 23:36
antonym...

edit: oh ****, son

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
187 - 09-01-2008, 23:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
I'm gay for schilling now. Can we get a subforum where he fends off TW nutjobs spouting off vitriolic comments for no other reason than to play "dunk the celeb" on our forums?

i seem to remember a time where we didnt much care for penny arcade's opinions, and now we're praying to them? nice, glad i missed that memo.
That's just Reggs whom we all know is a gay LARPer. The rest of us still hate Penny Arcade.

HeLLrAiSr
VeteranXV
Old
188 - 09-01-2008, 23:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senty View Post
Probably forgot, let me go check the demos on the front page oh wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juke View Post
I wish I knew something about baseball so I could enjoy this argument

Smellraisr get him to argue about tribes
Argue? I want the guy to play.

dionysus
VeteranX
Old
189 - 09-01-2008, 23:37
http://www.tribesftw.net/

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
190 - 09-01-2008, 23:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
comment on the ping-related issue you brought up.

barding in EQ, for instance, didn't require that you had a low latency, but if you did, you could 4twist your way into any group or guild.

quake - you have a lower ping, you tend to do better than other players initially, but people with higher pings can definitely read the situation and predict ahead. it's about working with your restrictions to become better at whatever part of the game you're playing.

time-based bosses, scripted events, i think that's gotten a bit stale (laughing at the new FF boss fights taking 20+ hours with no end in sight). wow has a share of the market, but are you genuinely trying to take the genre in a new direction where personal skill would outweigh designing a game to the masses of poor ISP choices and bad PC builds...?
Unreal Engine doesn't equal Unreal netcode? I imagine they're probably going to have to gut the netcode anyways since it's a different beast than a FPS.

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
191 - 09-01-2008, 23:39
btw I officially take back my stance on being "owned". Seeing as it is the MMO business and the failure rate is high (albeit a lot of that is underfunded projects) it still stands to reason that 38 studios has not proven itself yet. I mean maybe I just missed the expert technical people when reading the bios, or the fact you are using bigworld takes some of that responsibility from you compared to blizzard/guildwars/warhammer but it still seems software engineer light. Although the MIT grad does alleviate some of that.

I guess in Jobs the fact that the only 2 openings are software engineers sorta addresses that fact. Obviously my post was more in TW fashion of being more "edgy" but there was some basis to it. If I had worded it less TW style and hadn't took digs at you I'm unsure if you would have felt the need to respond.

On that note though I hate PvE games so I probably won't be interested in it anyway (pvp 4 life)

Last edited by DacTheHork; 09-01-2008 at 23:43..
HeLLrAiSr
VeteranXV
Old
192 - 09-01-2008, 23:42
dac shut the **** up man, you were already shot down once

give up

Gringo
VeteranXV
Old
193 - 09-01-2008, 23:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseMyrmidon View Post
Unreal Engine doesn't equal Unreal netcode? I imagine they're probably going to have to gut the netcode anyways since it's a different beast than a FPS.
mmm, i was referring more to the "If you can promise me every single player in our world will have the same latency and connection issues/non-issues, then you have got something." quote in regards to the previous twitch-related comment.

no one will ever always have the same ping, so drawing a line in the sand saying, "well, let's produce fights this way to allow those who are on the lower-end of the latency spectrum can compete and enjoy" is really a step backwards in my opinion.

edit: and not to assume that's how he meant that comment, which is why i was asking the question to him...

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
194 - 09-01-2008, 23:49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post
This, in relation to gaming, is like saying John Romero is a better developer than any number of up and coming, or just plane undiscovered developers just because everyone knows his name and was a fan of his work when our voices were cracking.
btw John Romero is actually making a mmorpg with bigworld, after doing a gauntlet console game that was lukewarm.

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
195 - 09-01-2008, 23:49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DacTheHork View Post
btw I officially take back my stance on being "owned". Seeing as it is the MMO business and the failure rate is high (albeit a lot of that is underfunded projects) it still stands to reason that 38 studios has not proven itself yet. I mean maybe I just missed the expert technical people when reading the bios, or the fact you are using bigworld takes some of that responsibility from you compared to blizzard/guildwars/warhammer but it still seems software engineer light. Although the MIT grad does alleviate some of that.
Wow uses a heavily modified version of the WC3 engine. Warhammer uses Netimmerse/Gamebryo.

Quote:
I guess in Jobs the fact that the only 2 openings are software engineers sorta addresses that fact. Obviously my post was more in TW fashion of being more "edgy" but there was some basis to it. If I had worded it less TW style and hadn't took digs at you I'm unsure if you would have felt the need to respond.

On that note though I hate PvE games so I probably won't be interested in it anyway (pvp 4 life)
Because they put a bio up of everyone working there?

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
196 - 09-01-2008, 23:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLLrAiSr View Post
dac shut the **** up man, you were already shot down once

give up
Umm dude my points are correct though, look at their website the only job openings they have are for programmers/senior programmers so I stand by my original reasoning about lack of technical people. Also considering they just got the engine a lot of the past 2 years was probably a lot of prep/planning possibly?

Strega
VeteranXV
Old
197 - 09-01-2008, 23:52
Quote:
Umm dude my points are correct though, look at their website the only job openings they have are for programmers/senior programmers so I stand by my original reasoning about lack of technical people. Also considering they just got the engine a lot of the past 2 years was probably a lot of prep/planning possibly?
Plainly obvious you have no idea what it takes to make an MMO from start to finish, so why do you make all these statements like you're some guru??

Job openings on their website don't have **** to do with anything. You're dumb.

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
198 - 09-01-2008, 23:54
Quote:
btw John Romero is actually making a mmorpg with bigworld, after doing a gauntlet console game that was lukewarm.
That's awesome. The last I heard was that he was going to work on cellphone games. I would love to meet the man who is paying him to make an MMO.

I wonder if his teenage mail order wife still lives with him.

HeLLrAiSr
VeteranXV
Old
199 - 09-02-2008, 00:01
Reggs whats the fastest way to get fake blood out of a sock?

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
200 - 09-02-2008, 00:01
Strega what's SOE's market share?

like 1%? Yeah I don't think he will be asking them for advice except to learn from their mistakes. EQ2 has less subscribers than EVE.

Last edited by DacTheHork; 09-02-2008 at 00:04..
Page 10 of 22

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page 38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus"

Social Website Bullshit