since AVG are now complete ****heads, AntiVirus recommendations? by MC Hamster - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page since AVG are now complete ****heads, AntiVirus recommendations?
Page 1 of 3
MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1 - 07-04-2008, 02:34
For those who haven't heard, AVG 8.0 has a little thing in it where it goes and retrieves all the pages returned by your searches and searches them all for malware. In itself, not a huge problem, but it also disguises itself as IE while doing it, and all in all, that causes undue load on websites all over the place...

So.. What's the current ruler in free antivirus/antispyware/etc stuff?

Sponsored Links
ZOD
VeteranX
Old
2 - 07-04-2008, 02:36
Avast

Afterimage
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 07-04-2008, 02:36
obligatory NOD32 even though it's not free

vawlk
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
4 - 07-04-2008, 02:37
I'm using Avira

Afterimage
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 07-04-2008, 02:39
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

edit: That site actually pretty well supports Avira, ggs One would hope it's as easy on the resources as NOD is.

Last edited by Afterimage; 07-04-2008 at 02:44..
Teflonatron
Server Savior5
Contributor
Old
6 - 07-04-2008, 03:33
You can also just disable the AVG add on within IE/Firefox...at least that's what I just did. I should have figured out sooner why my laptop was running so damn slow...

coombz
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 07-04-2008, 03:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOD View Post
Avast

escapedturkey
Veteran4
Old
8 - 07-04-2008, 03:37
http://www.linux.org

Teflonatron
Server Savior5
Contributor
Old
9 - 07-04-2008, 03:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapedturkey View Post
http://www.linux.org
^^ From the "it can run your games under WINE" camp....

Let's be honest, I'm all for Linux. I would use nothing but Linux if more commercial apps were distributed for it.

Unfortunately, most of the world runs on Windows, and it doesn't usually make commercial sense to make a port.

Santah
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 07-04-2008, 03:41
AVG 8 pissed me off too. Not only because of the web scanner... if you ever crash, the avg .dlls get ****ed up and repairing installation doesn't fix it. Total piece of **** pain in the ass.

I just tried Avast and Avira. Avira uses less resources than Avast and has a better UI, so I'm gunna stick with it.

Teflonatron
Server Savior5
Contributor
Old
11 - 07-04-2008, 03:48
Does AVG 7 still get updates? That was a solid product....I wish I could turn back the clock...

(hey, I'd turn it back to 1998 if I could.... )

Santah
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 07-04-2008, 03:55
Nah they stopped updating 7 midway through last month.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 07-04-2008, 04:56
You need to read up on it a little champ - I'm a bit disappointed in you Hamster.

When you install follow these instructions (from AVG themselves):

If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed as follows:

Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from our website.
Run the installation with the parameters /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch.

One way to achieve this is to:
save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\
open menu Start -> Run
type
c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed without the LinkScanner component.

Then the link scanner and **** will be completely disabled. This is not the same as unticking it in your optionb screen once it has been installed, you will no longer get any popup warnings or question marks in the task bar.

Should be almost as good as V7 then

leetdemon
VeteranX
Old
14 - 07-04-2008, 05:38
AVIRA is pretty good

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
15 - 07-04-2008, 05:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hamster View Post
For those who haven't heard, AVG 8.0 has a little thing in it where it goes and retrieves all the pages returned by your searches and searches them all for malware. In itself, not a huge problem, but it also disguises itself as IE while doing it, and all in all, that causes undue load on websites all over the place...

So.. What's the current ruler in free antivirus/antispyware/etc stuff?

How about turning off the feature you ****ing newb.

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
16 - 07-04-2008, 05:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
You need to read up on it a little champ - I'm a bit disappointed in you Hamster.

When you install follow these instructions (from AVG themselves):

If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed as follows:

Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from our website.
Run the installation with the parameters /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch.

One way to achieve this is to:
save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\
open menu Start -> Run
type
c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed without the LinkScanner component.

Then the link scanner and **** will be completely disabled. This is not the same as unticking it in your optionb screen once it has been installed, you will no longer get any popup warnings or question marks in the task bar.

Should be almost as good as V7 then

Exactly

Legend
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 07-04-2008, 05:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOD View Post
Avast
Seriously. Great, light on resources, and free (technically not for business use, but they have no real way of telling anyway unless you're a huge organisation). It also runs pretty much silently and you never know it's there, updates and all. I moved to it after getting sick of NOD32 not being free and haven't looked back.

Nutcracker
VeteranX
Old
18 - 07-04-2008, 06:01
I'm still using AVG 7.5, and the database just updated last on the 3/07/08 (1 day ago) so are you guys saying it's not being updated anymore even though they release updates for it?

Mooley
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 07-04-2008, 07:27
I use Avast. Switched from AVG to Avast a long time ago and haven't been disappointed except for a few false positives here and there.

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
20 - 07-04-2008, 08:51
I'm kinda pissed at AVG because it removes cracks from all the apps I've downloaded. It thinks they're are trojans, or it says it's a crack program and removes it off the hard drive. I blew AVG 8.0 off my laptop. I may just say screw anti virus because of that.

Page 1 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page since AVG are now complete ****heads, AntiVirus recommendations?

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
anal dog sex , antivirus , badmofo is faggot , free gon , fuckheads , matthew dewald is fat