Reload this Page [QuakeWars] Enemy Territory
Page 7 of 9
Surge
VeteranX
Old
121 - 06-18-2008, 04:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
Why does the 360 demo of this game look like it has ps2 graphics? It felt like I was playing Killzone
PC looks like the same ****

Sponsored Links
JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
122 - 06-18-2008, 04:51
Eh, I think the game looks pretty nice.

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
123 - 06-18-2008, 10:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarfVader View Post
Yeah, I'd have made that guys life hell Feannag...

Field Op's all the way, every time he got that tank up there, I'd have rained rocket arty on his ass.
I don't think it would have worked. The rocket artillery have that angle problem so I couldn't have gotten them into the shelled building he was hiding in. And since the hovertank has such light armor, one rocket takes it to 50% armor, but since the armor is so light engineers can fix it really fast. If I had a medic with me, but it didn't help as much because he stood too close to me and he died when I died.

I save rocket artillery locks for those flying ships and cyclops, with the rocket launcher it usually takes forever with solid hits. And the good players know how to use that chafe to deter it, rocket artillery you get six rockets in succession.

dev
VeteranXX
Old
124 - 06-19-2008, 00:52
If he was parked in a building, like on Valley, I'd go covert ops, grab a disguise, get nice and close, then drop the disguise and drop an emp grenade, and if possible follow up with a 3rd eye to at least do some damage. Thats only temporary though, so you'd need a soldier to follow up with a couple of rockets to finish him off.

A riskier tactic would be to do the same thing, but wait till he pops out of the desecrator to repair it, then backstab. Gotta stay clear of the desecrator as the slightest sideways movement will kill you if you're too close.

Maps like Valley and Outskirts, where the strogg can camp a desecrator indoors, plus spam with the cyclops and oppressor plasma/violators can be a real pain. The key for GDF is to keep the MCP moving with engies following right behind it, constantly repairing with the rest of the team knowing what they're doing. As a covert op I go behind the lines and constantly hack and disable the turrets and deployables, then go backstab the constructors. If I'm field ops, if the artillery interceptor turret isn't deployed, I just rain death on them. One well timed hammer can swing the game.

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
125 - 06-19-2008, 20:21
Yeah I try that. Strogg Tech is by far the easiest, but you get targeted a lot more quickly and it's even worse when you're the only Tech on the team.

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
126 - 06-20-2008, 00:37
I have also found Strogg win a lot more than GDF. But then I think I found my first instance of cheating... It was going on a couple of maps, two guys in the same team were both techs and basically spawn-camping/spawn-ninjaing the whole time.

They seemed to be good, but I honestly thought they cheated. When you rack up 250 XP in the first 6 minutes, and topping out on 500 XP after two maps it's a hunch. But I got a real active inccident than that. I managed to 'nade one of the guys and ran in to kill him before he could be arrived. Lo and behold his friend is there, in PRONE, trying to revive his cheating *****-mate. Point-blank range, while he's in prone, I load 6 - 7 rounds into him. And it only looked like the last two hit because it barely took off his health. At that point his buddy was arrived and he managed to dish out 60HP worth of damage inside of a full second.

I'm pretty sure 6 -7 hits with the rifle point-blank is enough to drop a Strogg from max HP to 10 - 12 or so even if he had the health boost but it didn't look like he took any damage.

dev
VeteranXX
Old
127 - 06-20-2008, 01:34
I've noticed a lot more players going strogg tech these days. When I first started playing there'd only be me. But now, they can be an uber tech, heal up after a duel, then spawn host.

I've seen some real suspicious behaviour on some servers. Normally I'd put it down to lag, but more than a few times I've been killed almost instantly by a hyperblaster. I'd write that off to me sucking as normal, but other players in those games have complained in team chat as well. On other servers I can duel against that same player and take them down.

Its a little tricky killing someone in prone. Had that happen to me last night with a strogg aggressor sneaking into the second objective on Volcano before the door had fully raised. He was prone crawling through the door as it was opening and I unloaded a full clip into his head. I think the hit boxes are a bit screwed up.

DV
VeteranXV
Old
128 - 06-20-2008, 06:09
I love being a strogg Tech...

In fact if I'm on Strogg, I usually go Tech or Opp.

LouCypher
VeteranX
Old
129 - 06-20-2008, 08:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
Lo and behold his friend is there, in PRONE, trying to revive his cheating *****-mate. Point-blank range, while he's in prone, I load 6 - 7 rounds into him. And it only looked like the last two hit because it barely took off his health. At that point his buddy was arrived and he managed to dish out 60HP worth of damage inside of a full second.
Besides autoaim with most hacks there are those that instantly transfer Stroyent -> Health, allow instant respawn (no more dropping in), and instant heal (don't have to switch to Stroyent and drop it for yourself). Technician is of course the best class choice for a nearly unstoppable killing machine.

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
130 - 06-20-2008, 10:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev View Post
Its a little tricky killing someone in prone. Had that happen to me last night with a strogg aggressor sneaking into the second objective on Volcano before the door had fully raised. He was prone crawling through the door as it was opening and I unloaded a full clip into his head. I think the hit boxes are a bit screwed up.
Mine was a bit different, as I was literally standing over him at less than 1m away. The hit box was big enough for me NOT to have missed in that case.

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
131 - 06-22-2008, 23:19
What I have learned playing now...

1. Drones make it so easy to aid in blocking chokes, especially when you look for and kill medics with them.

2. When you have the GPMG and you have a nice choke, don't ***** because I gunned you down because you wanted to knife strogg. The damn thing is designed for firing while standing still or going prone. And if you have a medic with you and you are smart about avoid grenades you can hold off a chokepoint indefinitely.

3. The ARs seem a lot harder to aim than the lacerators are. I'm not sure why but I get more hits going strogg than GDF when it comes to the standard weapons.

4. When you have to defend something in a room it's better to sit in the room rather than running vehicles around and playing with them outside.

5. If the guy next to you has their knife/spikes out, shoot them immediately.

All in all I'm liking covert ops more. I have yet to work with the teleporter, but I've gotten pretty good and disabling vehicles, hacking ****, and sniping.

LouCypher
VeteranX
Old
132 - 06-22-2008, 23:27
Quote:
5. If the guy next to you has their knife/spikes out, shoot them immediately.
That's a good way to get yourself teamkilled or kicked. Lots of players run around with knife/spikes drawn, especially when there aren't enemies around because movement speed is related to how heavy the weapon you're carrying is.
Quote:
I have yet to work with the teleporter
Teleporter is useful in a few circumstances where you can shoot it to get places otherwise unreachable. Getting an early hack on the controls on Volcano before the Aggressors can blow their objectives for example. Just shoot it over the wall by the east breach.

Last edited by LouCypher; 06-22-2008 at 23:30..
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
133 - 06-23-2008, 00:28
Actually I rarely see people run around with knives and spikes, and in the last case the one with a knife was a medic, in the control room on that Normandy beach map. I whip around, see the knife, plug one around into him. His disguise drops, it's an Infiltrator, and a plug him with a scoped AR (Covert Ops). Saved myself and a soldier with a GPMG, and we held for a good six minutes until I switched to that class/weapon and gunned down people at a chokepoint by the stairs.

I think more like Covert Ops now, and you can't rely on people telling you who may be a spy. I'm running 1600x900 and the text is smaller, so I can't worry about reading everyone's name remembering it. I go by one simple observation with spies.

- They can't use anything but AR/lacerator and knife/spikes.

So if I'm in a reasonably quiet position and there's no enemies around and someone has a knife or spikes out I'm shooting them at least once. A little health and some irritation is a small price to pay for making sure there's no backstabbing. It's in the mayhem where spies can shine. You're sprinting, throwing grenades, looking for cover, trying to fix/construct something, you don't time to look around much less keep track of people. It's much easier for someone to sneak in at that time than when it's quiet and there's little action. That's when I pay attention to weapons. If someone isn't doing their job or it's a soldier with a AR and they don't switch to anything else that instills suspicion and I watch them.

With drones I find it's better to hug the ground. All up in the air and snipers can see it and take it out. SKimming the ground in say, sewers, it's a lot less noticeable and more deadly.
In the thick of it though I tend to fire a round into people I haven't seen in a while, especially when you have a REALLY good covert whose ****ing everyone up.

As for sprinting, I haven't seen any difference in speed unless you're toting the rocket launcher or GPMG, and even then you swap into sidearm.

Ratorasniki
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
134 - 06-23-2008, 00:31
I really know next to nothing about this game. How many people from TW are playing it actively? Enough to warrant a subforum?

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
135 - 06-23-2008, 00:39
Not enough to warrant a subforum. The list is people who regularly play. I see FishStix and dev on a lot more than the others, I see Jodo and Col now and again. A lot of the balance issues were fixed, but it wasn't in time to keep the general gamer population attentive.

FishStix
VeteranXV
Old
136 - 06-23-2008, 00:46
An ET:QW subforum would be pointless. Oh and for those of you that care, SD's official comp mod has finally been released. The ETQWPro will be adapting the best features of the official mod.

dev
VeteranXX
Old
137 - 06-23-2008, 00:51
Cues to spotting someone in disguise are...

Heading towards your spawn capture point (or objective), with some health chipped off.

Knife out amongst teammates

Running straight towards a teammate

If you're watching your radar, heading straight towards you from behind

The biggest cue is breathing, particularly for strogg infiltrators, its a dead give away. GDF is harder to hear.

In all my experience, covert ops is best behind the lines hacking and disabling. In the chaotic battles, pick up a disguise, go backstab crazy but go for the medics first. They can be invaluable in defending objectives, backstabbing someone planting, or engineers disarming. I used to have fun clearing out heavily defended areas until people got wise to how covert ops worked

LouCypher
VeteranX
Old
138 - 06-23-2008, 01:05
Quote:
Actually I rarely see people run around with knives and spikes, and in the last case the one with a knife was a medic, in the control room on that Normandy beach map. I whip around, see the knife, plug one around into him. His disguise drops, it's an Infiltrator, and a plug him with a scoped AR (Covert Ops). Saved myself and a soldier with a GPMG, and we held for a good six minutes until I switched to that class/weapon and gunned down people at a chokepoint by the stairs.
From the sound of it you play defense a lot. That map is Volcano, the same one I said was good for using the teleporter. You could have known he was an Infiltrator in disguise because the "medic" wouldn't have the defibrillator on his chest. Other classes will also be missing something when their uniform is taken. If you've got headphones on you can listen for the footsteps or breathing as it's a dead giveaway too, at least until they get the Silent Footsteps achivement.
Quote:
As for sprinting, I haven't seen any difference in speed unless you're toting the rocket launcher or GPMG, and even then you swap into sidearm.
You can check it out at the start of the map when everyone spawns. Watch your teammates that run out with AR or Lacerator drawn that are in front of you, then switch to knife/spikes and see yourself gain on them.

I always draw knife/spikes to get to forward spawn faster.

Arcanox
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
139 - 06-23-2008, 01:09
Are you guys planning on playing compmod anytime soon? Maybe like a scheduled thing? I may be in on playing something like that, though I'd have to clear out a bunch of mod crap from my gamefolder.

dev
VeteranXX
Old
140 - 06-23-2008, 01:14
Silent footsteps is awesome

Page 7 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [QuakeWars] Enemy Territory

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
badmofo has a huge penis , stab stab stab