random restarts

norty

Veteran X
My computer is randomly restarting. I thought it was a problem with my gfx card and Ubuntu so I reformatted and installed XP but it is still doing it. It is really random, it doesn't happen just when some program is running. Sometimes it restarts when it is loading XP, sometimes it doesn't restart for days, other time like just now it restarts a few times in a matter of minutes. I think it might be my power supply but I don't know how to be sure and I don't want to drop $80 on a ps without being sure. Anyone know how can I determine what is causing this?

or some heat issue, ie. a fan getting stuck/not working all the time.

yeah but most likely he would see artifacts if it was video card overheating, and the processor would clock back, hence why everyone suggested checking memories.

it doesnt need to be the video card overheating. My last computer before it died it was the motherboard chip fan that was having trouble spinning and I was getting random reboots all the time.

I've ran two passes with memtest and I have no errors. I'm going to run it 5 more times (total of 7 like all the sites I went to suggested) to see if anything changes. If not, can I be pretty sure it's ps? I don't really think it's heat because I've had heat problems in the past with another computer and then it would freeze and then restart, this just restarts right away. Also back then it wouldn't start up right away because it was still too hot, now it always starts right back up.

I checked my temps and here is what I have: 36 ambient, 43 cpu. Is that fine?

ok I just checked the temp again and its at ambient 43C and cpu 50C... that's after running the memtest for 2 hours

and here are the voltages:

CPU Vcore - 1.36V
+3.3V - 3.04V
+12.0V - 11.79V
+5.0V - 5.04V
Battery - 2.76V
+5VSB - 4.00V

That seems kinda high for just running memtest, but I don't know for a fact. Easy way to find out is to open up the case and blow a fan in there temporarily.

11.8V on your 12V line is low.
4V on your 5V line is low.
3V on your 3.3V is low.

i also agree that it sounds like a heat issue.
take the side off your comp and throw a box fan up next to it and see if that makes a diff (temp fix for troubleshooting)

Back