kQFZZBN.jpg

P8JA7Xn.jpg

ribs

i1afVx7.jpg

u5S9WBl.jpg

wings

NYDaRQ2.jpg

mptD9RJ.jpg

I got a kamado joe classic II a couple months ago. it's been great. basically an improved big green egg, that actually comes with the stuff you need to start cooking. Smoked ribs a while back and did some apple cider brined pork chops recently that were fantastic.

0UVizWs.jpg

r36GkcO.jpg

ylCzqqr.jpg

I wish I could grill/smoke but my current apt doesn't allow it. If you can't brine, inject.

Learn to cook other things in it too. One thing that I took notice of when I got into grilling and smoking is that nigh every tutorial video on YouTube about grilling/smoking features a total fatass.

lol - Justin - get yourself or make yourself a real cooker. I know you think that the smoke ring is awesome but hat brisket isn't right. I can tell from the pick that it won't pass the pencil test. That means, if you cut a slice as thick as a pencil, you should be able to pull it from both ends and it should easily break.

It looks pretty and good job - but you are tackling a piece of cow that requires a lot of work to master. Fun to see an urban yuppie playing around with a cooker though. Keep us informed because I will be highly amused to see if a BGE can actually produce a quality brisket :)

lol - Justin - get yourself or make yourself a real cooker. I know you think that the smoke ring is awesome but hat brisket isn't right. I can tell from the pick that it won't pass the pencil test. That means, if you cut a slice as thick as a pencil, you should be able to pull it from both ends and it should easily break.

It looks pretty and good job - but you are tackling a piece of cow that requires a lot of work to master. Fun to see an urban yuppie playing around with a cooker though. Keep us informed because I will be highly amused to see if a BGE can actually produce a quality brisket :)

I do want an actual stick smoker but they're pricey

this one was really tender, but another hour on the egg would have probably been better, we were running out of time

All you need is a simple texas style offset barrel cooker.
You can make one if you want a project.

The only trick with them - and the reason that many weekend BBQ guys get a traeger - is that you have to really control your heat. A brisket is one of those cuts that will seize up and be a bitch if the temp spikes over around 220 for any length of time.

Most of the home cookers use thin metal. One of my friends got a bunch of cinderblocks and some metal grating plus a lid and built an offset thing that sat on the ground and cooked brisket like a champ. So - you can do it if you can convince the wife to let you put some man stuff in the backyard. That's your domain, bro.

All that said - you can probably get it done in the egg - I watch my brother struggle. It can be figured out but it's all about heat control and NOT opening the fucking thing all the time to check.

Last edited:

this one was really tender, but another hour on the egg would have probably been better, we were running out of time

I have had a BGE for years, probably.over a decade. Have a reverse flow stick burner as well. If you know what you are doing you can crush a brisket on the BGE with much much less work than a stick burner..

RmqWmij.jpg

Last brisket (14 lbs) I made with BGE. Fat rendered nicely, passed pencil test (though some of the point was fall apart tender). Salt & Pepper rub.

12 lb pork butt (Mike Mill's Magic Dust rub recipe):
2jmIrhM.jpg

Two racks STL Ribs (same rub as above):
bxqK3q1.jpg

Last edited:
Back