Tribes full hd (collaboration project)

There is only so much you can do to the original art file.

What you really need is someone to redraw the artwork from scratch at a higher resolution and not just resample the old stuff fitted for outdated display resolutions and memory capacity.

You're absolutely right, and it would be ideal, and if I'm not mistaken was the goal of the hirez plugin. Which was a decent first attempt but I believe that hudbot did it better. It was able to scale everything back to size when overlaying on the interior shape. If someone could find andrew to make a plugin for 1.4 I'm sure he would be able to make a better hires plugin.

The mian problem with the plugin is it just crashes the client way to often so I made this as a more stable alternative.

Until a better plugin is released I think I'll refrain from making higher resolution textures. As far as the original art file. The possibilities are endless. Personally I think it looks better than those crappy HD textures that look nothing like Tribes.

Its like putting lipstick on a man, some people are into that kinda shit whereas most of us are not.

I had an idea. Is there anyway to add TGA file type to 1.40 and use the hudbot mem.dll? It would probably be an ideal alternative as far as file size and not having to rely on low quality PNG's

This is a replacement for the stock 1.40 terrains. This will increase the quality of your terrains while retaining the original design. Also I did not mess up the rocks so you don't have to worry about those either.

1.40 HiRes LushDML

eDKm0V.png

Iw0QdJ.png

mbOXnH.png

sPQQBj.png

D9KeZn.png

I had the impression that he had a more privileged access to the inner workings of the code than a typical end-user generally had. That allowed him to create the last hope patch and provide incite into the formulas that gave Tribes 1 its distinctive feel (which no one else has managed to recreate).

I believe at one point there was a plan to re-release Tribes 1 as a web portal game for the InstantAction library of online games along side Legions... and Andrew was a large part of that effort to port Tribes 1 code for that purpose.

But then all of that fell through. There was rumored tensions internally with the InstantAction and eventuallythe business closed up shop a few months later with no real news over the fate of the Tribes 1 IP. (Later HiRez would purchase the Tribes IP in a fire-sale of InstantAction properties. )

After that, Andrew dropped off the radar. I was just curious if Andrew simply became occupied with more important real life priorities, if he just grew bored of Tribes in general or disillusioned with the community/business and said "fuckit".

Last edited:
Back