insurance adjusters

That's the popular consumer opinion.

But when have Insurance companies ever based a premium on user-specific data? (outside of claims/tickets)

Under 25 years old? Higher premium
Male? Higher premium.
Riding a motorcycle? Higher premium - oh you have 30 years riding experience with no accidents? Well it's still a motorcycle. (plus you're older and now your body sucks at healing).
Moved to a new area? Well the zip/postal code is an area with a higher frequency of accidents so your premium just went up.

As someone who once worked in the industry; you're just giving money back to the insurance company by not taking their usage-based insurance (UBI) device. If ANY premium penalties were to ever come from such a device it would be yet another broad statistic applied to entire geographic areas and not onto the individual.

The actual payoff to the insurance company for having you install the device is that it makes drivers more conscientious of their driving habits and thus less prone to getting into an accident (which means fewer claims they have to pay out on). The device typically measures rapid acceleration and hard braking - These two things are specifically correlated to one car driving into another. If a driver is avoiding hard-brakes then they have to leave more room between them and the car in front - so when it does come time to rapidly brake, you have more room to avoid a collision.

The heaviest bias I ever noticed from these devices were from city drivers and more specifically highway drivers. Hard breaking is just unavoidable. But they still earned the minimum discount upon renewal which I think was 5% and after the first year the device was mailed back and no longer used.

Hmmm. Interesting.

I went over 2 million miles in a commercial vehicle, occurrence free. Never been in an accident that was my fault in a private vehicle. I had a gsxr 750 in San Diego but when I moved rural I got rid of it, I was too scared I would hit an animal. No tickets.

I drive offensively so I just figured they would ding me for that.

Hmmm that water damage is covered, mold isn't
Should have told you to get water restoration company out asap
Who you with

It's all covered, that's not the problem. I'm with UPC insurance in Florida.
It's just getting them to do it in a timely fashion.

They have state laws usually to bring claims to a timely course. Look into that stuff, and get a copy of their policy to read

p.s. you should do what im saying because if they are outside the scope of the timeline set down by your state's insurance department, you get something like 18% interest daily on any payments they havent sent you

the other problem is they could have sent the check to your mortgage company if you have a mortgage and the $$$ is over a certain threshold
we dont do that (we just include them as a named party on the check) but sounds like you're getting dicked by a good dickery doo so who knows wtf they are doing

I do everything in my power to not work for insurance companies. The amount of red tape that is involved in a claim is outrageous.

For instance: in 1 of the HOA's we do work for, a residents water heater had a very slow drip - possibly for a few years - and caused a shitton of damage in their unit and the unit below. The homeowner's insurance company was called in and was somehow able to get the HOA involved in the transaction. Naturally, the property manager went to us and begged to get this work done.

Our construction manager got to work writing up the proposal for all the work we were going to do and turned it in. It came back from the insurance company and they wanted every single fucking thing - every single nail and screw - documented with cost + markup. They would only pay for the exact number of nails/screws even though you cannot buy an exact number - they all come in boxes.

But the manager was pleading for us to do the work so, we abided by the insanity of the insurance company. The amount of extra office work involved in getting these numbers compiled ate away at our markup. In fact, the insurance company had the gall to tell us that our markup was too high and that we could only charge X%. :lol: So, we went back to drawing board and increased the cost on everything to show we lowered our price to the % of markup they wanted to see.

Never again.

the insurance cartel is fking ridiculous

u should see the millions of internet posts from auto body guys complaining about collusion between the insurers to fix prices below what market rate would actually be b/c almost all collision work goes thru these fking subhuman scammers

goshin kind of embodies the insurance identity: he pilfers poopy pampers, insists that vicious attack dogs are good family pets, always hits the bathroom when the check arrives at a restaurant (even tho he's wearing a diaper) and he always parks his subaru outback (festooned w/ state farm stickers) right in an innocent taxpayer's usual parking spot in front of his house even tho goshin's client is 3 doors down and there are open spots in front of the client's home. then the innocent victim of his dickly insurance goon parking job comes home, has a stroke because of the stress of his spot being taken, manages to stagger through his front door, knocking one of his wife's yankee candles over and the house burns down. he files an insurance claim with farmers, and goshin gets a bigly bonus for imposing a bigly payout upon state farm's mortal enemy

Last edited:
My wife asked me to use that app that tracks your driving and adjusts your premiums based on that data to save you money.

I was like nope, first, they will find the bodies, second they will cancel our policy based on the data

My wife and I did this. It's super worth it. Literally all you have to do is not drive between 2-5am and not break too hard and you'll get an easy 30% off your rate.

There's also guides online telling you exactly what to do to get max discount

It came back from the insurance company and they wanted every single fucking thing - every single nail and screw - documented with cost + markup. They would only pay for the exact number of nails/screws even though you cannot buy an exact number - they all come in boxes.

This is basic shit, a box of 100 nails costs $10, you need 50 nails for the job so you tell them 50 nails @ 20c ea + your 25% markup (25c ea) and you keep the other 50 as a bonus.

Then tell them they are welcome to shop around themselves if they don't agree and think they can get 50 nails cheaper.

frigging HOA are usually run by fat patchouli wearing semi lesbians who have absolutely no practical life experience whatsoever, the same sort of fucking useless cunts who are usually working in local council offices

Back