Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Midair Alpha Launching 26th March
Page 5 of 21
groove
VeteranXX
Old
81 - 03-27-2017, 21:59
definitely faster projectile speed and it doesn't have the 1/4 second trigger delay (warmuptime) that the t1 disc had

and tbh both those things are good, the trigger lag isn't intuitive and since midair has less gravity and more powerful horizontal jets, you need a faster disc to hit people or they'll just air strafe around the older, slower discs

Sponsored Links
ViRGE
VeteranXX
Old
82 - 03-28-2017, 00:57
It's still very much an alpha, but I'm enjoying it. The turrets are interesting; they have fairly slow projectiles, but they try to predict where you're going to be.

houston
Unregistered
Old
83 - 03-28-2017, 07:27
I think there should be a little more airborne maneuvering when not jetting

buize
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
84 - 03-28-2017, 08:07
d

Last edited by buize; 08-05-2022 at 02:55..
fedex
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
85 - 03-28-2017, 15:40
I saw virge in a server last night. I will admit the game is not what I expected, it feels very vanilla.

houston
Unregistered
Old
86 - 03-28-2017, 15:55
i was owning people for a couple hours last night

vamp
Veteran++
Old
87 - 03-28-2017, 17:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
definitely faster projectile speed and it doesn't have the 1/4 second trigger delay (warmuptime) that the t1 disc had

and tbh both those things are good, the trigger lag isn't intuitive and since midair has less gravity and more powerful horizontal jets, you need a faster disc to hit people or they'll just air strafe around the older, slower discs
this is honestly what turns me off in Midair the fire rate is too fast and switching weapons to instantly fire again but having to press reload, that **** feels really off and doesn't feel like a tribes shooter. They need to tone down the air control so they can lower the speeds of the weapons.

groove
VeteranXX
Old
88 - 03-28-2017, 18:13
i think there are a lot of fundamental differences between actual 'tribes' and midair that it throws off a lot of vets. reload mechanics, horizontal jet power, gravity, the initial jump strength, major disc differences, teleport packs, iffs, lack of fog, overpowered heavies, heck i could go on and on.

i think it does some things better and some things worse and in some cases tries to reinvent the wheel with a square but thats just my opinion

the more i watch/play the more i realize that although its tribes influenced, midair isn't tribes, and the more i expect it to be tribes, the more disappointed i think i'll be. midair is midair, it is what it is.

Last edited by groove; 03-28-2017 at 19:25..
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
89 - 03-30-2017, 03:51
The problem with it "being Tribes" is practically everything that made Tribes "Tribes" to us was basically a happy mistake/accident. Back in 1997 3D games were still in infancy, and when player models were in the dozens of polys versus the hundreds of thousands today there were some things which equally bare-bones. Key among them was a physics engine, they have the bare-minimum to make it work. There was no advanced gravity, friction, bullet drop, or probably even mass. So there was minimal gravity across maps which were ultimately just gigantic triangles. And what ensued was basically an accident with skiing.

But nowadays engines and games in general are far more complex. Even when T2 came out they didn't quite accurately reproduce skiing, and to be honest no one has. You'd have to be hardcore with physics and you'd have to create maps specifically to do it, and even then it won't be the same.

Tribes can't be remastered, it is too simple and too much fo an accident on modern games. So accept stuff like Midair And even that most-recent Tribes where they added a bunch more weapons and a weird cash-shop (if anyone is playing it) and leave "real" Tribes alone.

slush
VeteranX
Old
90 - 03-30-2017, 12:45
nicely put

ViRGE
VeteranXX
Old
91 - 03-30-2017, 14:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
Tribes can't be remastered, it is too simple and too much fo an accident on modern games. So accept stuff like Midair
Aye.

Is it T1? Oh goodness no. Is it fun? Oh hell yes.

buize
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
92 - 03-30-2017, 14:23
d

Last edited by buize; 08-05-2022 at 02:54..
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
93 - 03-30-2017, 15:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by buize View Post
tribe ascend was p good
That's the one I meant. I was thinking Vengeance but I remember THAT was the one with the weird grapple hook/slingshot thing. I thought Ascend was a pretty good core to start, but believed it wasn't well managed. All the extra weapons and armor were unnecessary.

If you think about it Tribes was a very small niche community even back then, and it was more fun when you knew some/most of the people you played with. It got competitive, most of us had fun being competitive but that time has both changed and is long gone. Just have to accept there isn't any going back and make the best of what IS available. Communities are going to be huge toxic-bins like League and now even Overwatch where ranked modes ultimately destroy any real semblance of community and the need to win overrides the desire to have fun.

I'll give Midair a fair shake when I get my hands on it because Tribes was a good time and I'd like to see how newer minds and tech handle it.

coombz
VeteranXX
Old
94 - 03-30-2017, 18:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by havax View Post
no u lost

so put up some money you cheap euro scum
put up some money for a free game that is guaranteed to fail

...I'll just donate to fix the leaky church roof instead

slush
VeteranX
Old
95 - 03-30-2017, 18:53
Anyone want an acct pm me i have an extra

Lol jk

vamp
Veteran++
Old
96 - 03-30-2017, 21:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
The problem with it "being Tribes" is practically everything that made Tribes "Tribes" to us was basically a happy mistake/accident. Back in 1997 3D games were still in infancy, and when player models were in the dozens of polys versus the hundreds of thousands today there were some things which equally bare-bones. Key among them was a physics engine, they have the bare-minimum to make it work. There was no advanced gravity, friction, bullet drop, or probably even mass. So there was minimal gravity across maps which were ultimately just gigantic triangles. And what ensued was basically an accident with skiing.

But nowadays engines and games in general are far more complex. Even when T2 came out they didn't quite accurately reproduce skiing, and to be honest no one has. You'd have to be hardcore with physics and you'd have to create maps specifically to do it, and even then it won't be the same.

Tribes can't be remastered, it is too simple and too much fo an accident on modern games. So accept stuff like Midair And even that most-recent Tribes where they added a bunch more weapons and a weird cash-shop (if anyone is playing it) and leave "real" Tribes alone.

wrong, it can be done but they just dont want it to be done. In midair the skiing is almost exaclty like T1 if you change the skiing/skating binds a bit but the hills are all so smooth, also NOVAKIN is pretty damn close and even has hills that are similar to the jaggyness of T1

kzn
VeteranX
Old
97 - 03-31-2017, 01:05
Quote:
wrong, it can be done but they just dont want it to be done. In midair the skiing is almost exaclty like T1 if you change the skiing/skating binds a bit but the hills are all so smooth, also NOVAKIN is pretty damn close and even has hills that are similar to the jaggyness of T1
The skiing in midair is nothing like T1. The Midair version of Snowblind still has jagged terrain in some of the less travelled areas (I'm guessing they just ported the heightmap and fiddled with it), and trying to ski there is a ****ing disaster.

groove
VeteranXX
Old
98 - 03-31-2017, 01:22
i agree that its not like t1 skiing vamp and i actually talked about this earlier in discord

iirc that snowblind map isn't a port, stealth made that one on stream over time and it just started with someone saying 'make one really big hill' and kinda evolved into SB-styles after that

ive been pretty critical of mabel but over the last few weeks he seems to be dealing with people better and answering questions and helping instead of just rolling his eyes. i have to give credit when its due, i hope that continues and the game turns out well

he did intentionally TK me the other day tho

i probably deserved it

slush
VeteranX
Old
99 - 04-01-2017, 02:51
Def deserved it

burtrennalds
VeteranXV
Old
100 - 04-01-2017, 03:28
Quote: