Time to show you guys SH with terrain re-textured

LouCypher said:
Why not take the shortcut. Take T2 and make a mod. Strip it of everything not in Tribes, dumb down the shrike to the retarded scout controls and handling, and call it "T1 Mod" or something. I don't see the logic behind converting all the models, sounds, terrains, skys, and effects to T1 when they look better on the Torgue engine in T2. It's like putting StarCraft models into WarCraft.:confused:

I thought thats what they did, and then called it 'classic mod' :shrug:

Also, maybe some of us prefer a 'challenge' and arent lazy about things.

Don't get me wrong now, If a t2 to t1 mod is what you want, you can always round up some people and make it.

Problem with a T1 mod for T2 is the physics. Thats why they have such a hard time getting Classic to feel like T1.

LouCypher said:
Why not take the shortcut. Take T2 and make a mod. Strip it of everything not in Tribes, dumb down the shrike to the retarded scout controls and handling, and call it "T1 Mod" or something. I don't see the logic behind converting all the models, sounds, terrains, skys, and effects to T1 when they look better on the Torgue engine in T2. It's like putting StarCraft models into WarCraft.:confused:

nope

LouCypher said:

i'd agree with you... but i don't. why not? because i have watched, from the inside, exactly what the t2 (torque) engine can do with physics... and what it can't do.

one of those things is, as t2 currently stands, to mimic the t1 physics. the torque engine is definitely much much much better at things like that, but still, t2 is behind it overall. so the people doing this just want tribes 1 to be prettier. much easier than to try to replicate t1 on the torque.

not, of course, that it's impossible....

:) /me whistles and sorta walks away.

doing some things is easier to some standards to do on t1 then t2... some things will be little more difficult... the way i see it is... quality is more difficult on t1 as opposed to t2.. not to mention there are challanges along the way.. but in the end provides a great experiece so you could one may continue on into t2... i don't know if you all realize it at all but t2 is more professional and takes quite a knowledge of various programs and what not.

R@ND0M said:
"Fear" was the name of the original Tribes engine, which was renamed to "Darkstar" when they began to develop Tribes Xtreme, and later became Tribes 2 which was showcased at E3 in June 2000. After E3 they decided to scrap the engine and re-write it from scratch, to be more OpenGL compatible (stupid azz decision imho). Which became vl2, and later Torque engine.
Darkstar engine owned, see pics:

Junkyard_TRIBES_2_Island.jpg

IGN_old_multicolored_explosion.jpg

SS:Tribes was originally called fear squads the game, not the engine.

They started working on starsiege first it was their next in line titled es3, they developed SS:tribes on the side it took less time and they had all the requirements there already, it was the "test".
It took off and did well, they were still fixing SS up cause SS is a bigger game, the SP missions themselves are works of art.
hence the name Starsiege:Tribes
This sir is not the darkstar, nor was it ever the darkstar.
Tribes extreme never became Tribes2, SS:Tribes and it extreme add on had the SAME engine.(darkstar)

Tribes2 is a complete seperate endeavor and was never nor ever had anything to do with anything of the darkstar.

Last edited:
LouCypher said:

t1 runs better on most people computers anyhow.

Milk-Man said:
Ambient7... i noticed in the bottom of ur sig it says flyte.. is that an old name? if so were u ever in a clan called M&M? with Maxine?

If so.. WERD! if not BAH!

It was my old name...and I'm using it again...

And...bah. :(

Can I ask what am I supposed to look at one the Development site for legends? I was going through it and didn't find anything informative or anything :\

maybe a little more playing could do it

Mafo said:
Can I ask what am I supposed to look at one the Development site for legends? I was going through it and didn't find anything informative or anything :\

maybe a little more playing could do it

well, you can sort of monitor our progress on the game and bugs.... pretty neat stuff in there, tho it is kinda buried. we want to run it much like a sourceforge site.

It's ALL about physics.
tribes 2 compared to tribes 1 is nothing, because of its physics.
it's slow, but of course looking better.
so what people are trying to do is make tribes 1 look more like tribes 2, because they love tribes 1.

better looking is a choice of opinion, its certainly different, and Tribes 2 is certainly higher res but i wouldn't go as far as saying its better looking.
To cartoony for my tastes, i like to more realistic look that SS:tribes got, i guess it comes down to preference.

What i want to see is SS:Tribes models weapons and textures in Tribes2. NOW THAT WOULD BE HARD.

Back